CARAVAN 12/01/12 FROM SAN DIEGO TO CABO TO RALLY

just an idea for now depending on how many people like the idea we could start to plan a little better

the idea would be to leave from San Diego towards the Border early the morning of 12/01/12
driving down Baja all the way to Cabo then taking the ferry over to the mainland and driving into the rally together
I guess safety in numbers lol
also im sure most of us enjoy the same things like secluded beaches dirt roads and a cold beer at the end of the day
so why not share each others strengths to make it a safer and more enjoyble expirience for all

so what do you guys think??

post up if your in for the baja caravan to the Maya Rally

kbeefy

Adventurer
We should be hitting Baja about then. The more the merrier! And more vehicles = more tools!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Funny you mention this - we are actually planning on driving down to LaPaz on the long weekend of Thanksgiving with 2 other teams.

let's work on a plan...

Funny you mention this - we are actually planning on driving down to LaPaz on the long weekend of Thanksgiving with 2 other teams.

let's work on a plan...

we can start by looking for a place we can all camp the night before (11/30/12) close to the border
maybe a KOA so those of us driving cross country get to do some laundry and other things before hitting the border

im guessing most of us will be in 4x4s ? so I can start doing my homework on some good trails and hard to reach places in baja worth the drive.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Thanksgiving is the weekend before - the 22nd. That's when we plan to drive to Baja unfortunately...

we can start by looking for a place we can all camp the night before (11/30/12) close to the border
maybe a KOA so those of us driving cross country get to do some laundry and other things before hitting the border

im guessing most of us will be in 4x4s ? so I can start doing my homework on some good trails and hard to reach places in baja worth the drive.

aka rover

Adventurer
Sounds great im in lets get this rolling!! I will let you local guys arange the meeting spot as I do not know southern cali. at all.

Cheers Ed

Sounds great im in lets get this rolling!! I will let you local guys arange the meeting spot as I do not know southern cali. at all.

Cheers Ed
well im not a local but I will try to get a plan together from 11/30 to 12/12 ill do lots of reaserch into the best places to visit and things to see down baja and over to the rally start.

ill post a list of places im planing to see and a timeframe in case anyone else wants to meet up with us in baja.

aka rover

Adventurer
well im not a local but I will try to get a plan together from 11/30 to 12/12 ill do lots of reaserch into the best places to visit and things to see down baja and over to the rally start.

ill post a list of places im planing to see and a timeframe in case anyone else wants to meet up with us in baja.

Sounds good its getting close!!!

We will be leaving Columbus ohio on the 27th will be doing White Rim Trail (Moab) on the 29th and San Diego on the 30th
looking to hit Mexico the first all the way to Cabo and out of baja around the 9th

btw im looking in to some "roads" used by the Baja 1000

Travel Core

Slab City

Hello Guys

As I'm your Photographer for the Tour I would have a plan for the border crossing. The way I did it last time was that the last night in the US was at the free camp site of "Slab City". Some of you will know that place from the movie "Into the wild". It is right down at the salton sea and from there only 1hour to the border from Mexicali. Easy crossing there. And from there the best road down the Baja starts in San Felipe and goes off roads further down till it leads into the Routa1.

How about that?

I will go with the biggest group of you guys just to have a nice coverage about the way to Cabo.

kbeefy

Adventurer
I recently watched a documentary about slab city on youtube, didn't realize it was that close to the border crossing. I'm all about free camping, and wouldn't mind checking out the slabs, at least one night.

Travel Core

The slabs are the perfect place for that and one night there is also perfect as there is not much of facilities there. In niland, the closest town (3 houses:) to the slabs, you can at least do your laundry and on the way down to mexicali, there is a walmart on the way to stack up your nutella.

Anyway, its just an idea and if the others are more for KOA fine with me. But I would not do the border crossing in San Diego as its way more busy and Mexicali is pretty big and well prepared for the customs of your car if you wanna do it there already.

aka rover

Adventurer
I think im going to pass on the slab city thing, Im going to stick to the coast all the way down and will hook up with you guys around the boarder:sombrero:

I wont be doing the Slab city thing but will be hitting the border early morning of Dec 1

If any of you plan to go down Baja with us please confirm via PM with a # I can reach you

I have an invitation from BajaRacks to visit their factory down in baja and im prety sure they said free food at some point ahahaha
I think it would be cool

btw here here is my cell number in case you guys need something
I will also leave my mexican cell number in the voicemail recording as soon as I have it.

Cesar Fuentes
614 312 0737

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles