Cooper ST's - 255/85/16

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
How do these handle compared to 255/85 KM2's or 265/75 Duratracs in the snow?

I've never owned DuraTracs, but unless you are talking deep, off-highway snow, I'm confident the DuraTrac would offer the best winter/snow traction out of the three you listed because of the density and shape of the sipes.

Zac808

Observer
Im actually talking about on road snow. When I lived in Iceland I had Wrangler MTRs on my cherokee and QX4. There were sketchy when coming to a quick stop. Thats what steers me away from KM2 and toward st or durTrac.

Cent frum my sell fone, so donte freek out about my spelling or grahmar.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
I owned a pair of Cooper Discovery's best tire I have ever owned they were 31x10.5, had them on an 88 4Runner. Only time I ever had them slip was intentional on a metal grated bridge with Ice, other than that never slipped or anything on snow, and believe me I tried hard to get them to slip or slid or anything nothing happened. Great tires lasted 4 years and well over 70k took them off road hit rocks and everything you could think of.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I owned a pair of Cooper Discovery's best tire I have ever owned they were 31x10.5, had them on an 88 4Runner. snip...

There are many tires on which Cooper has used the name "Discoverer", most of them good, but many of them very different. The Cooper S/T (Sure Trac) is a specific 60/40 tread design.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Did not know that, I know they were close to the same thing as BFG A/T. I wanted something that could go out on the road and be a good tire there as well as out in the wild.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I know Larry is running these on his fullsize truck but I am curious if anyone else is and if so what are your thoughts?

I have a 1991 Chevy Suburban planned for a 3" lift. The current GVRW is 7,700 (IIRC) I figure another 1200 lbs will be added on when everything is done. I currently am running 33x10.50x15 BFG ATs but when I change the running gear to 1 ton I will need 16s and I love the idea of tall and skinny.

I have been looking at at least D ratings maybe E but these Coopers Discoverer S/Ts just seem to fit the bill.

Redline,

great info as always. Would you have tire PSI load increments available for the Coopers?

My current BFG ATs are C rated and I can feel how "spungy" they are and I tried letting air out once and I swear one wrong move and I would have pulled a tire off the bead.

I'll just post this quick too that if you want to find out who and where your tire was actually made you can find out here. there is a build code on tires and that will tell you what company made them and at what plant. I dont know if its useful but its just there.

http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...

Redline,

great info as always. Would you have tire PSI load increments available for the Coopers?

My current BFG ATs are C rated and I can feel how "spungy" they are and I tried letting air out once and I swear one wrong move and I would have pulled a tire off the bead. snip...]

I don't have air-down psi load increments, there are none from official sources that I'm aware of. Trial and error for your specific application and conditions is how you have to arrive at your numbers.

There are load/PSI charts for tires, but they start at 35 PSI and go up from their to the maximum PSI and load carrying capacity.

Part of the “spongy” feel of your tire was probably the LR C construction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94