97 ZJ

1997 ZJ

I have a 1997 ZJ with a few modifications. I am a long time reader of the site. I recently did a few modifications to my Jeep and I thought it might inspire a few other ZJ owners out there.
Here is my Jeep, it is a 1997 ZJ with 4" longarms, locked F/R, 285/75R16 on Moabs.
IMG_3252.jpg
I love my jeep but have the same issues as most ZJ owners do, lack of space to add accessories, gauges, gps, to the dash and it not look cluttered. I drive my jeep everyday so anything I add, I wanted it to look factory. My biggest thing I wanted was navigation. I drive a lot so it would be nice to have. I've seen people relocate the radio and air a/c controls, so that pretty much what it did. I fiberglassed a new dash so the hole was smaller and there wasn't any gaps.
Here is the old dash.
photo (2).JPG

Here is the new one. I made it so VIC could be moved up and there wasn't a gap.
photo (13).JPGphoto (14).JPG
Test fitting new dash.
photo (3).JPG
Comparison, sorry for the bad cell phone picture.
photo.JPG
Finished Installation.
photo (10).JPGphoto (12).JPGphoto (11).JPG

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Which axles, gears, and lockers are you running? Is that a Rough Country "long arm" lift? And why no body armor, mostly a street car? That install looks very clean, was it a lot of work to get it right?

ElCaminoManT

C'mon, don't bulls**t me
nice ZJ!! love the look of the moabs on em. i just picked up my first jeep, a ZJ to boot. ill be keepin my eye on this thread for any updates :)

1997 ZJ

Yes it is a Rough Country Long arm Lift. I cant complain, for the money, the price right for what I use it for. The axles are still 3.73, Dana30/35 with Lock Rights. As far as Armor it's coming. As all Jeepers know you have to pick and choose on what accessories are worth spending money on at that point in your life. My jeep started out as a secondary vehicle, so a lot of my money has gone to maintenance and parts making it reliable. Right now I have a popping steering box and a pinion bearing roaring, so the the funds will be going to that next.

Yes it is mostly a street car, as are most expedition vehicles are. I live in Alabama, and even though there are a few rocks to play on most people do mud here. I would rather take a beating than have mud under my car. I love to explore so for me to get anywhere i need to keep it road worthy.
Here is another picture of the dash. It wasn't to bad, just take your time.
photo.JPG
If you notice the blue 38 in the corner of the dash, I added a digital transmission temperature gauge to the dash. This was me trying to keep the dash uncluttered.
photo (9).JPG
The top right corner had a good place to mount the circuit board from a digital gauge. I just dremeled out the area and used a little hot glue for it to stay.
A hole was cut in the in the black gauge overlay and the tinted lens was placed behind it, so when the jeep was off it cant be seen.

Hopefully this will inspire some other ZJ owners to come up with some clever modifications.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 178

1997 ZJ

This is my power inverter. It is a 400 watt, mounted sideways under the lip of the back seat. 4 Gauge is run from the battery, to a distribution block, then 8 gauge is run to the inverter. I hacked it open and lengthened the wires to the console, and back panel in the rear.
photo (6).JPGphoto (7).JPG
The inverter on/off switch is on the bottom, and it is wired in with the ignition. The top switch is wired into the reverse lights, and also will activate the reverse camera, so I can see whats behind me with out putting the Jeep in reverse, or while I'm on the interstate and/or trail. If the Jeep is off, just the reverse lights will come on, which is great for setting up camp at night.
photo (4).JPG
Plugs in the center console.
photo (5).JPG
The plug panel on the inverter was moved to the rear hatch. I have plans to add a rear power outlets also.
photo (8).JPG

JakeC

Man, I'm really digging some of the modifications and creature comforts that you've implemented. I've seen the HVAC controls swapped to the radio spot before, but I've never seen the VIC swapped to the radio spot. Very clean modifications, I may have to borrow some of your modifications in the future, if i ever get around to creating a car-puter. I've got the same year ZJ. I'm really liking the trans temp gauge and the power inverter as well. I always feel as though I need a couple of outlets in the rear hatch.

Looking forward to what's next!

rb70383

Observer
What gauge did yuo use for the tranny temp. Had this same idea for a AF gauge in my wife's car. I like radio location. Did you just repaint the trim? Looks like it matches exactly.

1997 ZJ

Yes I'm currently have some ideas for another battery. My brother works for a battery company and can get them at cost. Idea 1, I'm tossing around the idea of modifying my battery tray and installing 2 of the smaller Honda deep cycle battery's, instead of the one that is currently there. If the price isn't right, or they just wont fit, Idea 2 is I'm going to get a small stereo deep cycle battery to run my accessories. The one i have in mind is completely sealed and will fit under my back seat sideways. I work at a stereo shop part time so I know that price will be right.

The trans gauge I ran is one off eBay. It was around $40. I got the blue but I wish I had gone with the green to match everything else. As far the the Dash paint I tried about 4 different color before i was satisfied. I found that a matte black finish worked best.

rb70383

Observer
Thanks. You have a build thread about the dash mods? like on fiberglassforums? mp3car? I been reading threads over there for some info on fiberglass and plastic modding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz