Mongol Rally

cdavis3361

Observer
I'm pushing hard for a 2014 entry. Not lookin to add to my group, will have several people joining for parts of the trip. Also planning on doing this with my special lady friend. If we survive this I may have to see if she'll be my supremely special lady friend!

I'm doing the Mongol rally, I feel the limited car size/ capabilities is part of the adventure! But I have been known to put safety third :)

jpyrek

I'm a bit late to the party, but I did the Mongol Rally in 2009 and it was fantastic...and went to the launch in 2011 and in 2012.

WhiteRover - I know Tommy and Will as well and actually helped them with more than a few things for their trip...and yeah..they loved it so much they did it again this year :D I was headed to Africa last year, and was containerizing my vehicles, so was actually able to take over a bunch of bags for the two of them since they did RORO.

DetSlider - I'm in Richmond, so if you ever want to chat or meet up, let me know. I love talking about all things rallying!

I met people doing the Mongolia Charity Rally and I was part of the Mongol Rally. There are a few differences, but they both have changed and are continuing to change. The ony big complaint from the Mongol Rally folks was cost. The one big complaint from the MCR folks was that there seemed to be more parties and more comraderie amongst the MR people. The MR though is slashing their fee by 50% for 2014 I believe and wiping out the vehicle restrictions (if you are brining you vehicle home).

As far as the charity stuff, they are really both the same. You raise money for charity...whether you raise $1k or 50K, it all went directly to the charity and not through the rally organizations. The difference was the fee. At least in 2009, the MCR people seemed to not know as much about what was going on and were more on their own. That's not a bad thing, but just a difference. The MR offered a launch with fanfare and a party...a party in a castle...and a few finish line parties along with (a bit) of guidance along the way. By this I mean you would get an email that would say "Recent reports from Team : XXXXXX - border to Kazakhstan at Semey is closed for 2 weeks." stuff like that.

Regardless. The countries are great...the people are great...the road conditions are pretty good...and the areas are pretty safe. A great first rally experience. Plus, there is a nice safety net of there always being some teams in front of you somewhere...and always some behind you somewhere!

Rockape

Mongolian Charity Rally

I'm a bit late to the party, but I did the Mongol Rally in 2009 and it was fantastic...and went to the launch in 2011 and in 2012.

WhiteRover - I know Tommy and Will as well and actually helped them with more than a few things for their trip...and yeah..they loved it so much they did it again this year :D I was headed to Africa last year, and was containerizing my vehicles, so was actually able to take over a bunch of bags for the two of them since they did RORO.

DetSlider - I'm in Richmond, so if you ever want to chat or meet up, let me know. I love talking about all things rallying!

I met people doing the Mongolia Charity Rally and I was part of the Mongol Rally. There are a few differences, but they both have changed and are continuing to change. The ony big complaint from the Mongol Rally folks was cost. The one big complaint from the MCR folks was that there seemed to be more parties and more comraderie amongst the MR people. The MR though is slashing their fee by 50% for 2014 I believe and wiping out the vehicle restrictions (if you are brining you vehicle home).

As far as the charity stuff, they are really both the same. You raise money for charity...whether you raise $1k or 50K, it all went directly to the charity and not through the rally organizations. The difference was the fee. At least in 2009, the MCR people seemed to not know as much about what was going on and were more on their own. That's not a bad thing, but just a difference. The MR offered a launch with fanfare and a party...a party in a castle...and a few finish line parties along with (a bit) of guidance along the way. By this I mean you would get an email that would say "Recent reports from Team : XXXXXX - border to Kazakhstan at Semey is closed for 2 weeks." stuff like that.

Regardless. The countries are great...the people are great...the road conditions are pretty good...and the areas are pretty safe. A great first rally experience. Plus, there is a nice safety net of there always being some teams in front of you somewhere...and always some behind you somewhere!

Hello everybody, I did the Charity Rally last year, my wife and I took a 21 year old Ford Transit Ambulance via France, Belgium, Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Russia and finishing in Ulan Bator, Mongolia 21 days later. We took loads of spares to keep the vehicle going and loads of educational kit for orphanage's outside the capitol. I have to say it was the journey of a lifetime and would strongly recommend it to anybody. We used Go Help as the main charity and they put a large amount of effort in to get the teams together for meetings before the start. It was an amazing feeling handing the vehicle over at the end knowing what good it was going to do such a good cause.

rabie

The first and only minority team in the world racing & finishing rock & desert motorsports, drag racing, plus rally!

A_anu

https://www.instagram.com/descubiendourantia/?hl=e
http://www.theadventurists.com/mongol-rally/
Hello this year the race is underway! To participate in the next you need a car less than 1,000cc. The race starts in France, there are not many rules nor fixed itinerary. It is a real madness that is not forgotten .. Although I have to say that many people go without inscription in their own cars! Hehe you can see the course of the race on the web! I have not yet participated, but I have it listed on my list of things to do before I finish my time here! Greetings and many miles of emotions and adventures and happiness ^^

otiswesty

Regular guy
I saw this Mongol Rally ruck on a transporter on the A7 in Germany last week, pretty cool. Looks like it has already been there and back.:smiley_drive:

Attachments

• Mongol.jpg
    Mongol.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles