Mongol Rally

cdavis3361

Observer
I am considering (strongly) doing this next year.

Anyone done it?

Tips? Advice? How do you purchase a car in the UK (we are all in the US)?

Are we all mad?

WhiteRover

Observer
I have a friend who did the Mongol rally this past summer. Bought a 80s Toyota pickup here in the states, fixed her up, shipped her over to England and met the truck when it got there. It sounded like an awesome experience but he did come back rather shell shocked after some hairy situations. E.g. almost being lit on fire by a local when trying to fix a busted fuel line. But overall I think he'd recommend the rally.

Scott Brady

Founder
I ran the Mongol Rally in 2010 with a 2001 Suzuki Jimny. One of the best trips of my life. We did all the hard bits too, including the Wakhan Corridor and the northern route in Mongolia.

I am happy to answer any specific questions you have.

183694_499372273274_1371559_n.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Buying a car in the UK is extremely simple. All you need is an address for the paperwork to be sent.

I am considering (strongly) doing this next year.

Anyone done it?

Tips? Advice? How do you purchase a car in the UK (we are all in the US)?

Are we all mad?

cdavis3361

Observer
Thanks for the feedback guys, so far I am shooting for the 2014 rally. Need to put funds together, passport stuff, etc.

Scott, would love to know more about your route.

Has anyone ever done sponsorship stuff. Organizers seem to recommend this, but I have no clue where to even start.

Thanks for all the great info guys!

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott, would love to know more about your route.

We drove from Spain through Europe to Eastern Europe, into the Middle East, across the Caspian Sea, then across Central Asia, including Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakstan. Then Russia and into Mongola in the far west. We then took the far more challenging and remote northern route across Mongolia.

The biggest challenge was traveling into southern Kyrgyzstan and the city of Osh, which was having active fighting, burning building, etc.

A wonderful journey.

Scott Brady

Founder
Did you use the State department as a resource to determine on the ground safety?

Well, yes, but in a more direct sense than most. This was particularly important at the border of Kyrgyzstan. All that is closed at the moment. No visas for the Wakhan Corridor as of a few months ago.

Scrambler12

Suzuki Jimny

Hi,

I'm interesting to make the Mongol Rallye. The rules for the car are not older than 10 years and the engine not bigger than 1.2l. But I don't know a Suzuki Jimny smaller than 1.3.
I have the choice of a Fiat Panda 0.9l Gasoline and a 1.3l Diesel. And I'm rearly like more the 1.3l because it is more economique. The 0.9l is just a 2 Zyl. Turbo.
So, how is it possible to get a car with an engine of 1.3l into the Mongol Rallye?

Thanks for your answer
Pascal

I ran the Mongol Rally in 2010 with a 2001 Suzuki Jimny. One of the best trips of my life. We did all the hard bits too, including the Wakhan Corridor and the northern route in Mongolia.

I am happy to answer any specific questions you have.

183694_499372273274_1371559_n.jpg

williard86

Observer
I think the 1.2 liter rule isn't very strict. I believe the adventurists make allowances as long as you donate a few more dollars to charity. £100 for every liter, or so I think.

Kiwi-Yank

Adventurer
so ... you inviting these guyz too (I mean hey - they are The Mongols) ?
Because I'm thinkin' they might prefer paved roads. HAHAHA!!!

pic.jpg

Kiwi-Yank

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles