I've got two iPads, an iPhone a Nuvi 360 what do I really need for Topo navigation

stioc

Expedition Leader
I'm totally new to Topo navigation, in fact, just starting to look into it. I've had the Garmin Nuvi 360 Bluetooth for the last 6years and works fine for highway navigation but I usually just use my iPhone with either Google Maps or Waze on it. Not long ago I found myself lost in Joshua Tree (well not lost but there was no cell signal and my Garmin doesn't support Topo maps, at least from what I can tell) so I'm trying to determine what route should I take to be able to tell where I am in God's country and how to get back to civilization.

As mentioned I have an iPad 1 and an iPad 2, I understand you can get a GPS reciever for these? the battery life on them is quite good as well as the screen size. So I'm leaning towards this option but need some help getting the setup complete i.e. what 'puck' and software to get for it. Or use the iPhone as a single do-it-all device? I also have a netbook that I hardly ever use and prefer NOT to use it due to battery life and bulk.

Another option is to get an etrex 20? I have no experience with it but it looks very handy due to the size and fairly inexpensive but does it come with all the Topo maps or do I have to buy them individually from Garmin? How dummy-friendly is it? let's say I find myself lost again, can I click 'go-home' and it maps out the closest trails to get me back to the main roads or do I have to read the contour lines and such to figure out how to navigate my way out?

stioc

Expedition Leader
So after Googling for a bit I found out there are Bluetooth GPS recievers that can be used with the iPhone/iPads but then I also read that the newer iOS devices have built-in GPS. Some say that it's not a true GPS but some say it is. I read about the Assisted GPS too. My conclusion is that AGPS is actually better than the std GPS but only works if it has access to the cell towers? I'm downloading MotionX GPS app as we speak and hoping that it works with the GPS chip even when there's no cell signal available, as was the case in my last outing.

I use Gaia GPS, and Topo maps on my iPhone for most of my backcountry exploring. It takes a while to download but the Gaia lets you download Aerial Photography as well as the USGS grids. It can also track you which I think is pretty cool. I learnt with a map and compass though, and most the time I use the apps in the same fashion. They are much cheaper though. I hope they bring Overland Navigator to iOS soon. The downfall to USGS maps is they don't really show all the trails. I would also suggest Everytrail as its got quite a few 4wd trails in it. I used that to take an awesome trip on Shubarth trail last spring. It had some really spectacular views of the AF Academy, and surrounding area.

stioc

Expedition Leader

Thanks Rob! Funny I found your page a couple of days ago doing a Google search. I've got MotionX GPS on both the iPhone and the iPad now. The iPad version is so much better due to the additional screen realestate and better placed controls and menus. I've noticed though that when you download maps the options are limited to the MotionX maps which I suspect are USGS maps. The Bing Hybrid maps so far seem to be my favorite.

K.I.S.S. -- a compass.

I would love to learn compass navigation one day. However, if I'm dropped in the middle of nowhere a GPS can pinpoint my exact location and tell me the closest trail, highway etc. I know there're ways to do this with a compass too but one must have field knowledge and training to do this properly which sadly I don't have :(

I use Gaia GPS, and Topo maps on my iPhone for most of my backcountry exploring. It takes a while to download but the Gaia lets you download Aerial Photography as well as the USGS grids. It can also track you which I think is pretty cool. I learnt with a map and compass though, and most the time I use the apps in the same fashion. They are much cheaper though. I hope they bring Overland Navigator to iOS soon. The downfall to USGS maps is they don't really show all the trails. I would also suggest Everytrail as its got quite a few 4wd trails in it. I used that to take an awesome trip on Shubarth trail last spring. It had some really spectacular views of the AF Academy, and surrounding area.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I really like MotionX GPS on the iPAD so I'm going to stick with this for now and try to find a compass/map training...after I pass my HAM technician exam.

soonenough

Explorer
I would love to learn compass navigation one day. However, if I'm dropped in the middle of nowhere a GPS can pinpoint my exact location and tell me the closest trail, highway etc. I know there're ways to do this with a compass too but one must have field knowledge and training to do this properly which sadly I don't have :( ...... I really like MotionX GPS on the iPAD so I'm going to stick with this for now and try to find a compass/map training...
I really like the MotionX GPS app (and GPS Drive also), although it can't do USGS quads like Overland Navigator, DeLorme, etc.

For the map/compass training, I can tell you where NOT to go - REI. I went to the compass training at the local store and felt like I lost knowledge. Who knows, maybe I just got a bad instructor, but the guy that taught my class didn't know anything. I don't think he could've navigated his way around his back yard.

Here's a really good book on the subject that you can get for less than $12: Outdoor Navigation with GPS. Although the name implies that it only teaches you how to use a GPS, there's actually a large portion of the book dedicated to using a map and compass, and then it shows you how to integrage the GPS into that skill set. Based on what you've described here, I think this would be a great read. I've found that local bookstores (B&N) usually have a copy.

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
I really like the MotionX GPS app (and GPS Drive also), although it can't do USGS quads like Overland Navigator, DeLorme, etc.

For the map/compass training, I can tell you where NOT to go - REI. I went to the compass training at the local store and felt like I lost knowledge. Who knows, maybe I just got a bad instructor, but the guy that taught my class didn't know anything. I don't think he could've navigated his way around his back yard.

Here's a really good book on the subject that you can get for less than $12: Outdoor Navigation with GPS. Although the name implies that it only teaches you how to use a GPS, there's actually a large portion of the book dedicated to using a map and compass, and then it shows you how to integrage the GPS into that skill set. Based on what you've described here, I think this would be a great read. I've found that local bookstores (B&N) usually have a copy.
Ryan, too funny about your REI experience. I've tried watching some youtube vids on compass/map stuff but never felt that I could trust myself with the knowledge gained that way in the middle of nowhere. Oh and I actually have that book, haven't made it past the first couple of chapters. It's a good book but it'd be best to find someone with field knowledge who can show me what I need to know.

x2

I used the Motion X app on my iPad with the Motion X terrain maps last weekend in the SBNF. Most of the trails are not marked on the maps. Unless you download gpx files of the trails you plan on traveling on, the Motion X terrain maps were pretty much useless.

Doug, I'm with you on that! I posted earlier that the Bing hybrid maps are my favorite but they aren't downloadable :(

BTW I'm holding out for your mapping class! :coffee:

Uglyduck

Adventurer
russellh, check out the iHike App. I've been using it exclusively on my iPhone for almost a year now, I prefer it over any other topo based app.

iHike review

Are your tablets 3G models?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne