recovery gear for canter

blackduck

Explorer
It's a nice urban myth Stu, but I have yet to see any photographic/video proof that anyone is actually doing it.
Mind you... as I have written on my website, it is totally plausible and ridiculously easy to do, especially on the Chinese winches.
In my opinion, an isolator is an absolute must for any winch installation.

pity im not still in perth my old boss showed me photos of it done to a pajero in his 4wd club
but I agree a high amp isolator is a must
playing with winches must be an atractive passtime though after all Ben almost took the trolley return bay home with him

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I have an 8 tonne winch, so I have absolutely no misunderstandings of what damage could be done to my vehicle if it were used for evil rather than good.

I am not saying that it cannot/doesn't happen, but try and find any images online of when a winch has been used to destroy/damage a vehicle.
Maybe you can contact your old boss and be the one that posts such an image. Might inspire people to fit an isolator as part of their winch installation...
As I said previously, it's scary how simple it is to power up the winch if there is power at the solenoid.

BTW... I have also designed a hasp and staple style latch to cover my winch's clutch lever.
This stops anyone from disengaging the clutch, spooling off my 12mm Dyneema rope and adding it to their own collection. That stuff ain't cheap!

JRhetts

Adventurer
My vehicle is almost certainly heavier [at 22,000 lbs] than the average rig most are equipping. So I do NOT expect to do much ledge crawling or other extreme maneuvers. Indeed, I don't think that anyone in their right mind wants to spend much time extracting a vehicle this heavy from anything — I'll get my Jeep stuck and back out gladly, but the Fuso ain't the same kind of animal.

At any rate, I don't have a winch, on the theory that this helps me be more cautious about evaluating 'going in there' in the first place. But if I get stuck or have to assist someone else, I always carry the following stuff:

• (2) long-handled shovels
- for digging [two because it shortens the digging time]
- for lifting a tire on and off the lugs [really reduces wear and tear on the threads, and makes solo handling of 200# tires a breeze]
• (1) 8'x10' heavy duty ground cloth for under-vehicle work
• (2) pieces 1.25" thick plywood - for jack platforms and other stuff
• (2) bottle jacks with long throw and adjustable piston
• (1) pr snow chains - which can be installed in place if tires not too deep in mud or snow; plan to instal them preemptively
• (2) VERY strong tow points front and rear (direct to frame)
• (1) 8' tow strap, 45,000#-rated as V-harness - ends to frame, sliding tow attachment in middle of strap
• (3) shackles - working load >40,000#, for attaching ends of V-harness to frame, and (1) to slide along length for attaching tow line
• (1) 30' Amsteel Blue (no-stretch) tow rope, 35,000# rated
• (1) 30' snatch line (30% stretch), 52,000# rated
• (1) 15' 4 Ga jumper cables - high-amperage Anderson plug at one end, heavy-duty clips at other end
• lots of gloves

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior