HELP: Flip Pac Torsion Bar Replacement Spline Problem

brandonhedberg

Adventurer
I'm installing a new torsion bar which I recently received from FRP. The long section of splines (drivers side) fit through the passenger side bracket. However, the short section (passenger side) splines won't fit. I cleaned very well with a wire brush and used a BFH. It goes on 3/16 inch and stops.

The bracket starts to cut into the splines as if they are too big (not cut narrow enough). Same thing happens with the white delron bushing. The bushing fits the drivers side splines but not the passenger side.

Any one else every experience this? I'm beyond frustration!

Without knowing the spline specifications how would these be touched up?

I'm considering a torsion bar delete mod. Either the long pole as others have discussed/executed or an extra long opening arm attached to the top (not the hinge) via a well secured section of tubing. Thoughts?

Thanks!

brandonhedberg

Adventurer
Given it was Saturday I couldn't reach anyone. BTW, the phone at FRP will ring forever.

Prior to receiving the bar, FRP told me they had issues with the bars being heat treated on just the ends. Subsequently, they were re-treated. I'm guessing this led to one end having more oxidation and wasn't touched up.

I decided to work on cleaning up the spines with a jewelers file. This was very tedious. After two and a half hours I finally fit one of the splined delron bushing over the end of the bar. (One end already fit fine.)

Sunday morning I installed the bar as one would expect (about an hour). Everything works fine and we're ready for camping.

I hope the bar holds up. TacoDoc, have you experienced problems with your torsion bar?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94