Travel warning information / route selection

Funkweasel

Thought I would post up this image based on the US State Department's February 2012 recommendations. Hopefully it'll help make informed decisions about what routes people want to take, and if they want to caravan down. Some friends just came back up from Zacatecas and were hassled/robbed twice last month. Not fear-mongering, just thought our image would be helpful. :)

mexico-travel-warnings-with-distances.png

Certainly changed our planned route, so we're going to be heading down through Baja. Timing is going to be pushed now though since we can't leave until pretty late sometime around the Dec. 7.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Your post is not fear mongering!

This information is critical for most and does extend down through the central America's. With the U.S. government announcing the targeting of certain gangs with cartel affiliations Americans need to be aware of their surroundings always.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Well, the good news is that all of the Rally itself is in the green areas!

Going through Baja is a good option but I wouldn't be too scared - just informed and aware. If you are just passing through and stay on the main motorways, you shouldn't have any issue.

Funkweasel

Apparently it has just gotten pretty bad rapidly in a number of the northern states, but yeah its good to remember that this is a numbers game and the likelihood of problems is still pretty small. The UK and US sites both mention specific targeting of large, dark SUVs as well. Definitely worth keeping your awareness up. Now I have an excuse to paint the Chief. ;-)

Well, the good news is that all of the Rally itself is in the green areas!

Going through Baja is a good option but I wouldn't be too scared - just informed and aware. If you are just passing through and stay on the main motorways, you shouldn't have any issue.

technichen

Observer
Apparently it has just gotten pretty bad rapidly in a number of the northern states, but yeah its good to remember that this is a numbers game and the likelihood of problems is still pretty small. The UK and US sites both mention specific targeting of large, dark SUVs as well. Definitely worth keeping your awareness up. Now I have an excuse to paint the Chief. ;-)

Did it say anything about bright Orange SUVs heheheh:sombrero:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I'm going to blend right in.. I am taking my stealthy camel trophy truck..they won't even know I am there...LOL.. well maybe a little..I think like most anything, a good deal of common sense will keep your vulnerability low...only travel through those areas in broad daylight and preferably not alone.. this is where the convoy idea is really good, even if it means hanging back a day or so to hook up with another rally participant) and be sure to be off the road by 5-6 PM....if someone tries to pull you over don't pull over until in a public place ( I would say even if it appears to be police)...I suggest a spot tracker and don't be afraid to use the help button.. Maybe we could set up a common email address that will be constantly checked by someone and we have an ok message that is sent by our spot tracking system at the end of the day to show we are okay.. or a help message if we need it..this would at the very least minimise the searching and response time SHOULD something happen..this would only be necessary if someone is really concerned and was travelling alone.. I definitely recommend the spot tracker system as we can always see where someone is and check they are okay..would be neat to have everybodys trails to the rally also..

Funkweasel

I think this is a *great* idea. We'll have family watching our Spot stuff for sure. Wouldn't hurt to setup a page with CB and/or Ham info for everyone as well.

This is awesome and I'm re-motivated to get that stupid rig back together here shortly. Only about 427 things left on the "must do" list.

I figure our front bumper and the 401 cu in. motor should be good for shoving if necessary too. Heh

I'm going to blend right in.. I am taking my stealthy camel trophy truck..they won't even know I am there...LOL.. well maybe a little..I think like most anything, a good deal of common sense will keep your vulnerability low...only travel through those areas in broad daylight and preferably not alone.. this is where the convoy idea is really good, even if it means hanging back a day or so to hook up with another rally participant) and be sure to be off the road by 5-6 PM....if someone tries to pull you over don't pull over until in a public place ( I would say even if it appears to be police)...I suggest a spot tracker and don't be afraid to use the help button.. Maybe we could set up a common email address that will be constantly checked by someone and we have an ok message that is sent by our spot tracking system at the end of the day to show we are okay.. or a help message if we need it..this would at the very least minimise the searching and response time SHOULD something happen..this would only be necessary if someone is really concerned and was travelling alone.. I definitely recommend the spot tracker system as we can always see where someone is and check they are okay..would be neat to have everybodys trails to the rally also..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I have approached SPOT tracking services to see if we can work with them in regards to these concerns and suggestions and am awaiting a response from their marketing manager..

aka rover

Adventurer
We are taking a spot and have had one for several years, Have used it in remote areas of Alaska both inland and offshore, works great. I have never pushed the help button but im not affraid to us it if the misses gets out of hand I will have an escape:snorkel:

We need to set up teams to travel into the HOT zones, There are two of us Alaskans traveling down togather for fun and for safety!! We are going down via Baja and taking the ferry over on the 6th to be at the rally start a day or two early.

Others are welcome to join in but we plane on a little exploreing on our way down and have no schedual except the 6th of dec.

technichen

Observer
Good job Rover,
I was considering talking to them to become a sponsor for the race! My intent was to get spots for all of the vehicles. Of course they could be returned afterwards if they needed them.

I'll be one of the teams travelling through hot areas :smiley_drive:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Yes, thats what I have proposed to them, I have received back a big form that I have to fill out..will take as much as my aussie charm as i can muster..I am trying to get them to track and plot everyones locations and trip track on their system and allow availabllity to send ok messages or in the unlikely event of a problem a help message.. and then one of the other teams may be in the vicinity to assist..I know this may create a problem if someone forgets to log or check in but for the most part with spot and google maps overlays you can tell where people are at last recorded ping..naturally if they have become stationary for a while at a campground but havent checked in then its safe to assume they just forgot.. it will take commitments from individuals to aid in keeping themselves safe..LOL..I know a bunch of us already have them but I will try and get Spot to supply all teams and some additional for support teams etc..as well as the trip logging... I guess we will see what happens..

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I think what the government says is a lot of hype and a bit of BS tossed in. But I do agree with being aware and on your toes.

If you really are concerned, the fastest way clear of harms way is the Gulf Coast. If you cross at Brownsville/Matamoras early morning you can be to the Coasta Esmeralda by dark no problem. This is a very good and safe area for your first night with tons of accommodations to chose from, including camping. From there to Guanajauato in a half day no problem. I can get from Coasta Esmeralda to Comitan in Chiapas in one day and it is much farther than Guanajauato. If you take the Gulf Coast route make sure to avoid Tepic, Tampico, Veracruz (farther south) and a few of the other large cities. I personally do not like these cities and had runs in with cops in these cities. By the Gulf Coast route, 200 miles or so south of the border and things really feel pretty calm and relaxed. However, that 200 miles to me feels way off, like it is not a place you want to be or stop. Mostly, it is just a feeling I have had in these areas when moving through via vehicle.

Michoacan is also not as dangerous as the hype. Keep your nose out of the locals business and stay out of the tourist hot spots and you will completely enjoy Michoacan. It is one of my favorite parts of Mexico and I had zero problems there.

My 2 cents and cheers....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles