Overall costs involved

iMTB

Adventurer
How much are you guys thinking this rally will cost in total? Has anyone made a trip budget they would like to share?

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I guess with so many people coming in from different spots and different things they want to achieve with their itinerary etc it would be hard to say,,, fuel and accomodation costs could vary dramatically depending on the vehicle and the individuals idea of what they want to achieve out of the trip..you could do it extravagantly or frugally..hard to say I guess..

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I am assuming you would be coming from Florida - there is at least another team from Florida also.

your biggest expense by far is fuel. Factor about 6000 miles return at $4/gallon. it really helps there if you have a co-pilot to share expenses with you.

accomodation and food can be pretty cheap - anything from $20 to $60/day.

but the good news is that you can put it all on your credit card, since it's the end of the world anyway...

:)

Im going for 25 days but im lucky to have a co pilot covering 1/2 the cost so im taking (bank card not cash) 2k and 1k for other things I dint think of like bottles of Tequila ;)

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
agree, fuel is your biggest expense. For each vehicle it will be different. Calculate your mpg's and the distance you plan to travel. I would then add another 1000 miles or so just in case.

Nice hotels will cost you $8 to over 100 a night depending on location and all that. In general I always found nice hotels for the $8-40 a night range.

Camping will cost you free to max of $20 a night. Near Acapulco was the most expensive camping I saw anywhere in Mexico.

Toll roads can get expensive. In general they are not to bad but I have shelled out $200 to do 350 miles on toll roads in Mexico. IIRC this was between Los Mochis and Mazatlan. I would plan on $500 for toll roads, vehicle permit and tourist visa at border plus insurance and maybe a few bucks for bribes to cops if you have no other choice. Also use this fund for things like a fender bender you have to deal with on the spot. Often in Mexico if you back into somebody or something like that in a parking lot it is solved on the spot via cash and a hand shake.

You want emergency funds on hand or close to hand. You may not touch this fund but it should be for vehicle repairs, medical emergency, family emergency or to get yourself out of a real bad jam.

Food and beverages can easily be had for $20/day, $30/day a bit more comfortable.

Without cash you will make things difficult for yourself. I would carry cash but don't really want to say how much in public for obvious reasons. Use a CC for fuel, hotels and bigger restaurants. You also need a CC at the border, there is a deposit put down on your vehicle permit iirc and they only take CC. You really do need cash for things like street tacos, beverages, camping, some hotels and other expenses I mention above. The rule with cash is simply to break it up and stash in various places in the truck that won't get found by a normal search. Keep some in your pocket but not a lot. I don't like ATMs much down south due to them being a bit high profile and often targets for robberies. Yet, I use them and you have to at times I just pick out ones I feel comfortable with or has an armed guard.

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000