how long can i leave my car in Mexico?

Im thinking on flying from Cozumel back to ohio the days after the end of the Rally
I looked up flights and its only about $350 to Columbus Ohio
two main reasons i would want to fly back would be first to make sure im home for Xmas and second cause it would force me to fly back to Mexico with more time and $$$ to keep the trip going :)

im thinking of finding a garage for rent in or near Cozumel and leave the car
not sure how long the car can stay in mexico but if anything i can cross over to Belize and back into Mexico to restart the clock before i fly out.

anyone??
how long can i leave it in mexico?

XJINTX

Explorer
I think the registartion you got at the border is only good for 6 months after that you pay the deposit / fee.

Otherwise I know friends with cars that have been there quite awhile... although I think illegal ;)

I think the registartion you got at the border is only good for 6 months after that you pay the deposit / fee.

Otherwise I know friends with cars that have been there quite awhile... although I think illegal ;)

what is this deposite you speek of??
as long as I can drive it out by lets say June without major problems I dont mind having to pay a fee well as long as is not a crazy one

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Please Please make sure you check this out...
Often times when you bring a vehicle into a country it is referenced on your passport and then you can NOT fly out and leave the vehicle without some sort of proof you didn't sell it.
I am not sure what the deal is in Mexico but it would suck to get to the airport and find out you can't fly after all.

This should be something the Maya Rally people have some info on or if you find an answer please post it up for others.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
You can leave it up to 6 months. They don't stamp the passport in Mexico, you should not have any issue leaving the country and coming back.

That's actually what we may doing too.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
You can leave it up to 6 months. They don't stamp the passport in Mexico, you should not have any issue leaving the country and coming back.

Agree, other countries in CA on the other hand your passport is stamped with vehicle info.

WorldRallyTeam

The Minority Racer
6 months - 12 months depending on your visa, but then again money talks in Mexico. Also good to have a receipt of where it was stored or a mechanics invoice showing dates. But I have had several cars in Mexico with nothing, not even the correct plates. It just depends on who stops you.

Just becareful, back in 1996 we drove from Austin to Belize, and our 6 month permit expired while in Belize, so they did not want to allow me to pass thru Mexico because I had to supposely wait sometime before I could re-enter with the US vehicle. I argured and the official thought he was saving Mexico as a hero, so I waited until the shift change and payed $250 pesos and some other gifts that I had in my rig to the new official on duty and magically my rig was back in Mexico. I did not renew the permit again until like 8 months later, I just drove it daily around Guanajuato.

Old_School15.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles