My camper shell build

dcarver

Hey y'all this is my first post and I just wanted to let y'all know what I'm working with. I just purchased a camper shell for my 98 6.5ft bed ford f150. My wife and I are going to make a trip from Tx to south Carolina and since we don't have kids yet, we wanted to do a jypsie style road trip. It'll be a slow build since we won't be leaving until may and I'm a full time physical therapy student so only one salary coming in and I study almost every hour of the day. Anyway I've seen some awesome builds on here and I must say my carprentry skills are lacking but I'll give it my best shot. Any ideas are welcome. I'll post pics when I figure out how to post them
DC

dcarver

Finally figured out the pic uploading

The platform I'm using
img06981.jpg

The shell. Its black and as you'll see the truck is white. For $80 can't complian
img06991h.jpg

The truck
img07001b.jpg

So I don't like the way the camper shell has the exposed fiberglass. I was thinking of carpeting it of course, but my father in law said I should try to use Foam insulation and paint it. Well I'm in the process of giving that a shot right now. Just letting it dry so I can sand it. Looks like it'll take several cans, but we'll see how it turns out.

crawldit

Adventurer
Looking good so far. I'm interested to see how you like the foam insulation. I thought of trying that and chickened out!

dcarver

Well I may be reconsidering the foam. Is there a special way to sand it down to look even? It also will take about 8-10 cans of the foam but if there is a way to sand it down so I can paint it later please let me know

dcarver

So an update of what's been going on. The foam didn't work. It said it was sandable but I've gotta say I don't know how. So it was easy enough to remove. My next choice was to use so foil insulation like you would use to wrap a hot water heater and glue it down with liquid nails. This worked great and we filled in the spots we couldn't put the insulation down evenly with foil tape to make it look like one solid piece. IMO it looks pretty cool and the reflective surface really helps with the dim lighting. Also added a shelf for the microwave we'll be using along with other goodies.
img07101h.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Carver, that does look cool:cool:! Now all you need is a few flashing lights and a diso ball in there!:ylsmoke: Seriously, it looks like you did a nice job....:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94