2003 G "EXPEDITION GRADE"

I bought a 2003 G a few months ago out of Kansas City. Over the past few months I have been very impressed.

I was able to take the G down to Moab and the San Rafael Swell over the weekend. All I can say is I was very impressed. While I did take my kids on some easy trails, we also did some very difficult trails. Several thing impressed me about the G. Because of its narrow track and short over hangs it handled like a Suzuki Samurai on the technical trails. It's like it didn't care that it had stock 30" tires. It just did its thing and conquered all the trails with out rubbing once. While the G is not for every one, I would highly consider it if you are thinking about getting a Defender, JK, or FJ80. In stock form it will keep up with any rig on the market. Where my LX450's came up short, the G excels. I love that it has more than enough power, but still returns 17-18 mpg. I also love that it has short over hangs and the rear end does not rub on every rock. What I do miss is the after market support that the FJ80 and JK enjoy, but does the G really need aftermarket support?

Here are a few pics from our trip to Moab and the Swell. I do have a few plans for mods but they are pretty basic because the rig is perfect right out of the box. The G class is one of the best kept secret in the offroad industry. I just plan to add some larger tires, Bilstien shocks and a roof rack so I can mount my roof top tent.

8114851005_412a661aac_c.jpg
8114854124_874873c436_c.jpg
8114849329_66bbe9073a_c.jpg
8114856112_c623b941c0_c.jpg

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Beautiful truck. They are nearly perfect right out of the box.

Having owned and driven one continuously since 1984, I can agree with you 100%. Put some Atik 16" wheels and good tires on it; and the agreement will go up to 110%.

Last edited:
let me know if youre looking to buy a set of atiks.

Maybe, but my wife may shoot me because I just bought this beauty today. It is a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD, SLE, 4x4, Crew Cab, 6 speed manual, LLY Duramax in stock configuration and 33" tires. That's right, it's a 6 speed manual. It's a pretty rare combo.

So do ya have an extra set of atiks laying around?

Sierra 1.jpgSierra 2.jpgSierra 3.jpgSierra 4.jpgSierra 5.jpgSierra 6.jpg

Which trails did you do in Moab?

Well that's an interesting question. Because of a marathon, several of the roads leading to the fun trails like Moab Rim were closed. Moab had also recieved about 3-4 inches of rain in a very short period of time about a week before we went down. So trails that were typically easy, became very difficult due wash outs and erosion. It's just the every changing landscape of the desert. The main trails that we did were Tower Arch which is typically an easy trail but the rain really had a big impact on northern part of the trail. Typically it is a 3 rating but it drove more like a 4+. My buddy had some trouble getting his 1990 FJ80 with lockers and Turbo Diesel through the trail but I think he prevailed in the end, he says he struggled because he's an amature. It was a mean trail, that's all there is to it. We also did Hell's Revenge which is pretty easy and did not feel the effects of the storm. We went up Black Dragon Canyon. It was also worse than normal because it goes up the bottom of slot canyon. Lastly we drove down Iron Wash. It's not really a road as much as a wash. It always a fun drive and a good way to travel across the desert with out impacting the environment. I know you probably haven't heard of some of these trails but there is sooooo much more to do in southern Utah than most realize.

zimm

Expedition Leader
deleting first post of mine as it doesnt belong here, this isnt a classified.

my bad. i was typing in conversation, instead of paying attention to what i was typing.

yxan

Hey, good to know, I ride most of the trails on my mountain bike, but then opt for even more gnarly stuff. But wanted to know what people gravitate to in the 2-3 star degree of difficulty. The kind of trucks I see when I mountain bike out there are serious rock crawlers.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I like the Atik but I think I am leaning toward the Hutchinson wheels. Who do I talk to about getting some Hutchinson wheels?

Tony at Motorsports in Portland, OR; 503.244.9010
This is where I and a few other G owners bought ours. Tony has a set on his W460 G as well.
Tell him Jeremy sent you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94