Question about the Bolivian Death Road

Delibes

Drat, double drat!
Hello everyone,
I have been thinking a lot about the Bolivian Death Road lately. There's a route parallel to it that is infinitely safer, but I feel it might be worth the challenge when I get down to Bolivia. I would like to ask those who have been there recently...

My car is a 1981 Mercedes 300TD wagon. It is 1.8m wide (70 inches) and handles great.

The big question is: would a car like this make it safely? I have heard the road is a one-way only, so that should be no trouble. I am mainly concerned about fog and the actual width of the road... I don't want to fall into the abyss!

:safari-rig:

haven

Expedition Leader
I believe two way traffic is still allowed. Speeds are low, so the Merc's good handling would only be needed to dodge oncoming traffic.

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
The trucks that (used to) use the road were standard 2400-2500mm width - so much wider than your vehicle. Unless it has changed recently it is two-way. There are lay-bys for passing oncoming traffic.

On most days you will likely encounter pockets of fog and cloud, hard to avoid, really. Your greatest risk is running over a mountain biking tourist, but don't worry, no need for public liability insurance for knocking over foreigners in South America. :)

Delibes

Drat, double drat!
Thank you! How recently were you all there? I met a guy who had been there a scarce 2-3 months ago and said it was a one-way.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
There are actually two old Yungas roads, the North and South roads. The challenge is not the road itself: any car can drive it, but the oncoming trucks, waterfalls over the road, and the low visibility due to curves, clouds, and dust. If you haven't driven an Andean road, it is hard to explain, but these roads are real heart-in-the-throat experiences. All of this is, of course, made more exciting by the rock face on one side, sheer drops on the other, and outrageous speeds of the vehicles.

There is a Madonna at los Cumbres where it is traditional to leave an offering before descending. Typically, you down a litre of firewater and then smash the bottle at the base of the Madonna.

Happy trails!

Delibes

Drat, double drat!
There is a Madonna at los Cumbres where it is traditional to leave an offering before descending. Typically, you down a litre of firewater and then smash the bottle at the base of the Madonna.

Cool tradition! I will definitely pay my respects to the Madonna as soon as I get there!

Could anyone confirm if it is a two-way or a one-way? Wikipedia says it's a one-way, some blogs say it's a two-way, this fellow backpacker said it was a one-way, and now I hear it's a two-way! Yikes!

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I left Bolivia in 2001, but the video linked above is from 2012 and is the road as I know it. Two way traffic at stupidly high speed. Beloved Spouse's car was rammed by a truck in the dust. (Dry season) Fortunately, she was not hurt. The bus driver in the video died.

A fighter pilot friend drove the road once and swore, never again. Es tu vida. Haz lo que te da la gana.

Delibes

Drat, double drat!
I left Bolivia in 2001, but the video linked above is from 2012 and is the road as I know it. Two way traffic at stupidly high speed. Beloved Spouse's car was rammed by a truck in the dust. (Dry season) Fortunately, she was not hurt. The bus driver in the video died.

A fighter pilot friend drove the road once and swore, never again. Es tu vida. Haz lo que te da la gana.

Boy, if that's not a warning, nothing is! A fighter pilot, feeling safer at the speed of sound than in Yungas road? That should be a clear indicator of the conditions of that place. Thanks, again!

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Take all commentary with much salt and get the latest news when you get to La Paz. Safe travels. (The Yungas Road is but one of many sporting roads in the Andes.)

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Boy, if that's not a warning, nothing is! A fighter pilot, feeling safer at the speed of sound than in Yungas road? That should be a clear indicator of the conditions of that place. Thanks, again!
Well, any fighter pilot ever born feels invincible when strapped to his plane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles