WHAT WINCH DO YOU HAVE ON YOUR FULL-SIZE TRUCK? ...pleez post pics...

General Automag

Adventurer
What winch do you have on your full-size truck? Please post pics and model numbers. Thanks! :)

I read that the average 1/2-ton truck weighs 9,200 pound, the average 3/4-ton weighs 10,000 pounds, and the average 1-ton weighs 11,400. Did you mount a 10,000, 12,000, or 15,000 pound capacity winch on your full-size truck? (I know you can double the winching capacity if you use a snatch block, but we'd rather not because it cuts the cable length in half in terms of utility)

Warn, Ramsey, and Mile Marker seem to be priced DOUBLE than the Smittybuilt, Ironman4x4, MotoAlliance, Bulldog, Vortex, etc., depending on the model. Many of these brands are made in China with cheaper labor that ours, and I assume that you should not expect any warranty support for most of those brands.

We rarely would use our winch on our full-size truck, but you want a winch to work when you need it.

delithic

Observer
I think the average half ton truck is about 4000-5000 lbs, 3/4 tons are closer to 5000 - 8000 lbs

from googling "a 2000 f-250 4-door with 7.3L Powerstroke 4x4 is about 7,300 lbs"

Of course this is without the driver and expo gear.

toymaster

Explorer
Your numbers are off by about 50%. That said a 12k is what I use on my f350. I've used it since 2000 and it has worked fine for all pulls. Not sure when the 15k came out but for decades 12k was the largest.

I also have a 12k on my jeep but that is overkill. You have to remember a recreational winch is rated for the last layer of rope and at the slowest speed. Unless you are in a race line speed does not matter. When it comes to recovery slow and steady wins every time. My advice is to use a pulley in every pull possible. The more line out the stronger the winch and with a pulley the line only sees half the load. It also slows down the pull giving you more control.

My advice is go the biggest and best quality your budget will allow. I have always had warn although I did just get an engo 9k for a rear winch as a backup and expo bling.

mrchips

Adventurer
Rule of thumb is 1.5 x the GVW of the rig, for a Jeep a 8000 LB, for a full size truck a 10500, and a 12000 for a one ton truck, you can double the pulling power using a snatch block.

General Automag

Adventurer
The numbers I read were the GVWR which include "vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers." The numbers seemed a little high to me too.

toymaster

Explorer
^^^^ the GVWR stands for Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. This is not how much they weights but how much total they can safely carry including cargo. You have GVW and GVWR confused.

General Automag

Adventurer
What winch do you have on your full-size truck? Please post pics and model numbers. Thanks! :)

I read that the average 1/2-ton truck weighs 9,200 pound, the average 3/4-ton weighs 10,000 pounds, and the average 1-ton weighs 11,400. Did you mount a 10,000, 12,000, or 15,000 pound capacity winch on your full-size truck? (I know you can double the winching capacity if you use a snatch block, but we'd rather not because it cuts the cable length in half in terms of utility)

Warn, Ramsey, and Mile Marker seem to be priced DOUBLE than the Smittybuilt, Ironman4x4, MotoAlliance, Bulldog, Vortex, etc., depending on the model. Many of these brands are made in China with cheaper labor that ours, and I assume that you should not expect any warranty support for most of those brands.

We rarely would use our winch on our full-size truck, but you want a winch to work when you need it.

So what size winch would work best for a full-size truck with outfitted with aftermarket bumpers, lights, and the typical "expo" gear? A 10,000, 12,000 or 15,000 lb. winch? It seems like a 12,000 lb. winch would be optimal.

Betarocker

Adventurer
Somewhere in my signature it is written.
DSC_0456.jpg

The winch should be rated to at least the GVWR of the vehicle it is mounted on. Using a proper snatch block will help with the really good stucks.

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Are you sure you need one?

The first question is to ask whether or not you really need one. they are expensive and a fully built 3/4 or 1 ton can weigh a lot and to have that much weight on a winch can be a bit scarry. Can a good quality come-along and Hi Lift get you by? I a mnot saying that there is not a use for a winch but my philosophy has always been to make sure that I really need something before I invest. I realize that's not always the best phiosophy though and I have the body work bills to remind me. Good luck on your choice.
Mikey

General Automag

Adventurer
Our main use for the winch will be for recovery from a "stuck" situation; for us here it is usually some type of mud or slightly inclined hills with slick or wet rocks. The next use is simply to be able to move things. We sometimes come across fallen trees on roads, and a winch comes in handy around the house and farm. The last use is when we have ice storms. Usually we see someone in a ditch on the side of the road.

We do have a hand winch or "Come-a-long" as we call them here, but they're very limited to about 6 feet of movement at a time. Actually the High-Lift jack is a better solution for us when compared to a hand winch because of it's size and strength.

Attachments

• IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 10

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
In my experience winches are an area that you really do get what you pay for. Warn, Ramsey, Superwinch are all more expensive for a reason. This will always and forever be debated to death. The guys that have a Warn or other top tier winch will argue their side, the guys that buy the inexpensive stuff will argue theirs. So be it, do your homework and buy what you like.

Same goes for the constant debate over whether one is needed or not. If you need one you need one. A come along or hi-lift or what ever, isn't a substitute for a full on winch. They have their appropriate applications but they are not a substitute.

I wouldn't put anything less than a 10K unit on a full size truck, even that may be small if you're really stuck. I'd also seriously consider a hydraulic unit for a full size as there is lots of space under the hood, lots of available power to drive it and will out work an electric all day long....literally.

burt

Observer
I've never failed to get unstuck with a come along hi lift and a shovel, but I've had it take a couple days though. I think the warn ti series winches are by far the best ones I've tried. The 16.5ti I have on my 90 f350 diesel is truly impressive. Single line pulls are always reasonable (so far). The problem is an underpowered winch will generate enough heat to melt as it struggles to pull (happens way faster than you would expect). Yes you can get by with rigging but same with a come along. Having a winch break or fail while using it is far worse than not having one at all in my experience.

burt

Observer
I got the 9.5 ti in a hitch receiver basket with the synthetic line on it. Haven't used it to extract a diesel truck yet but the things i have used it for it seems like it is going to be impressive. The syn line is so nice to deal with and if I get even comparable pull strength to the 16.5 with a pulley ill be stoked. I'm going to try it on my
Other truck ( basically the same thing). You can make a bomb proof receiver mount on the front with a much lighter bumper that way I think and be able to use it in the rear to. I'll post pics if I get it mounted in the next couple of days

I have a Warn M15000 on my 1/2-ton Dodge, but only because that is what the ARB bumper called for and would properly fit. Ditto on the 1.5x factor and snatch blocks are gold. :sombrero:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
How much do you pay for insurance- home, vehicles, health, life, etc? The winch is just that- insurance, if you get stuck remotely, or have to move the fallen tree remotely- you need the winch to work. I have used Warn for 40 years without failure, but am partial to the 8274. I have used the occasional Ramsey with good results. It seems guys with the lesser expensive winches tend to have issues with contacts, solenoids, etc, but this is a big deal if you need to use the winch, and bank on having it as insurance, and it doesn't work- for whatever reason. I still carry a Hi Lift as well as shovel, saws, shovels, etc, but a good winch becomes a good friend when needed- and I believe in reliability over size/brand as you can use multiple pulleys to accomplish a task, albeit a bit slower- doubles the strength, but decreases the speed...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles