Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

Geo14cux

Adventurer
Ya ahem lets do a complicated conversion for an unknown result. As opposed to a KNOWN good conversion thats WORKS! oh ya with fatory parts!
Ok back to making a wheel more rounder!
:victory:

Scott Brady

Founder
Add to that everyone who I've read about who's done it is very happy with the setup.

I am loving the idea of the D90 upgrade. I just want to improve performance by 10-15% and improve life and fade. It sounds like the D90 will meet my most important concern too, which is reliability and serviceability ;)

Thanks to those who suggested it!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Probably because it worked well enough for most people ever since they started using them with the RRC in the early 1970's.

I'm just saying, it seems unusual to mate the clamping performance of 4 piston calipers with the complete lack of thermal capacity of a non-vented rotor.

I doubt he's going to be racing his D1. Plus the D90 conversion is an extremely simple conversion, not much more than replacing stock calipers and rotors, just need to bend the brake line a bit at the caliper. Add to that everyone who I've read about who's done it is very happy with the setup.

Yeah, I know he's not racing. Q pads are street pads, not racing pads. Regardless, the D90 conversion is obviously the way to go. I didn't know it was possible nor did Scott, thus the excercise. What about the MC, is it different too?

Ya ahem lets do a complicated conversion for an unknown result. As opposed to a KNOWN good conversion thats WORKS! oh ya with fatory parts!

Follow along here: It's a discussion. Scott and I didn't know about the D90 setup. Now we do. If your brains were here yesterday I guess we wouldn't have needed the snarky comments. So which Dwebber are you?

Yorker

Adventurer
I'm just saying, it seems unusual to mate the clamping performance of 4 piston calipers with the complete lack of thermal capacity of a non-vented rotor.

yeah well this was the other option(initially). (see pic) ;)

:D just accept it as one of those things- it worked good enough so they stuck with it- like 10 spline axles etc.

Attachments

• 109 6cyl and 8cyl brakes.jpg
    109 6cyl and 8cyl brakes.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 73

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Ah... drum brakes, the only thing worse than a solid disk. And those work even better once they've been dunked in mud. ;)

Photog

Explorer
The non-vented rotors may be a design/use compromise. Reduce the opportunities for mud plugged rotors, and corrosion, over long term use in horrid conditions. LR seems to do things like that, now & then.:) Better brakes, just not the absolute best.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
The non-vented rotors may be a design/use compromise. Reduce the opportunities for mud plugged rotors, and corrosion, over long term use in horrid conditions. LR seems to do things like that, now & then.:) Better brakes, just not the absolute best.

If that were the case, then why have vented rotors on the Defender, but not the Discovery? There seems to be no logic behind some of the choices LR made when designing their vehicles. Why would they install larger calipers and pads on a light vehicle (Defender), and then use smaller pads on the heavier Discovery?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Rob

The additional clamping force allows you to navigate very slowly on steep down hills using your brakes to control speed. These situations dont need the heat disapation that a long stop from high speed would require. The brakes dont get very hot doing this type of decent.

With a auto trans the additional braking is key because there is not enough engine braking to control speeds.

_____

So why all the hate on dweb Rob?...you sure hung out there a long time to be dissing on it over here? Think thats a way to make friends over here?

Guess that makes sense. I never want for thermal capacity on my D2 system, but sometimes when they're wet/muddy, I sure would like more clamping power.

I'm not hating on Dweb. There's been an influx of Dwebbers here lately, and Geo's comments sure seems like he's another. I do complain about Dweb mostly out of frustration. It's easily the best technical resource for LR's, but having to sort through all the clutter really limits it's usefulness. There's a large number of people here that feel the same way. There's also some successful crossovers. Antichrist seems to be able to bring the tech without the attitude.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Do the hubs and spindles need to be changed to do this? I'm hoping to make this change on my '88 RRC project.
Jason T.

Scott Brady

Founder
Hey guys, no cluttering my thread up with bickering... :costumed-smiley-007

What do people generally think of the Dixon-Bate recovery points?

Steve Rupp

Observer
I'm not sure if the dixon bates will even work on the ARB winch bumper. Will you be able to get the pin out from the top or would you have to mount it upside down? I run the shackle mounting brackets from EE. I know the dixon bates are tight but I hate having anything rattling on my truck. I could just see those chains rattling and driving me crazy.

michaelgroves

Explorer
What do people generally think of the Dixon-Bate recovery points?

They seem very heavy to justify two of them mounted on the front as in that Camel pic. Being towing jaws, they have an absurdly low rated capacity for their mass and bulk, but I suspect they're many times stronger than anything else in a typical recovery bag. If the pin were a bit bigger, you could use it like a bollard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles