Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Very nice Scott. Appears you retained at the top and bottom in the rear, correct? What are your plans for the front?

Scott Brady

Founder
Very nice Scott. Appears you retained at the top and bottom in the rear, correct? What are your plans for the front?

The front is retained by the shock and the extension length of the shock. I did install a LR genuine spring isolator on top of the front springs. Gives a bit of lift and helps attenuate some of the road noise.

Oh, and we also installed new, longer brake lines a few years ago too.

roverandom

Adventurer
Instead of replacing with the sometimes hard to find in a hurry stock lines I get new cooler lines made up at a local farm supply supplier. They braze the LR specific ends onto a regular coupler, then you can use readily available hydraulic hose and couplers. Quick, cheap, better than stock and easily replaceable anywhere.

I've used this system on several LR's and it has worked very well.

A good alternative.

Scott Brady

Founder
then you can use readily available hydraulic hose and couplers. Quick, cheap, better than stock and easily replaceable anywhere.

Great suggestion.

In the end, I decided on just using brand new LR genuine hoses for both the PS and oil cooler lines, although I am considering building a stainless PS high-pressure line do to the high failure rate of that part.

Scott Brady

Founder
The suspension is complete, and DeYoung (the local shop I use for service, when we don't have time to work on the cars) is on to the power steering system. Every renewable component is being replaced, including the reservoir.
IMG_8548.JPG
new box

IMG_8546.jpg
IMG_8544.jpg
The stance looks good, and is only about 15mm lower front and rear. I suspect it will settle another 5-10mm, but am comfortable with that. Can't wait to drive it!

Scott Brady

Founder
Got the Discovery back from the shop, and the ride has been transformed. Most of the vibrations are gone, although I am experience some from the rear driveshaft at about 70mph. The change in castor is noticeable and the steering more direct, but not as bad as anticipated. Most important, the harshness is gone from the rear suspension.

The power steering system was also completely renewed, with all new LR genuine parts. I also had the oil cooler lines replaced with genuine parts as well.FullSizeRender.jpg

Next is the powdercoated factory five-spoke steel wheels and new tires. Still tempted by 235/85s, but I might just go 215/85- jury is out. Then I will mount some 7.5 R16 XZLs on the black Defender/Series wheels.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Good to hear. I think I may try the Land Rover springs Oryx mentioned in the other thread. I may just go with 245/75-16 tires, but that is for other reason that don't factor into a Disco (where to put the spare).

I had a set of 215/85s (TracEdge) on the 94 Disco years back at stock ride height. They always felt a little small-ish on the road...did fine offroad.

Next were 7.50-16 TracEdge...no you can't get them any more...they were okay.

When the 235/85s came off the 109 they went on the Disco.

Same size still there but now they're Dunlop R/Ts.

XJLI

Adventurer
Whatever tire size is in that picture looks perfect to me. I think 245/75 would be too small with a lift... It looks perfect on a stock height truck.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
I am currently running the 245/75 BFG AT KO. It has been a great size and flawless tire. However, I am a Land Rover owner, so I must fit something less functional and practical. Queue the 7.5 XZL! ;)

245/75 COOPER DISCOVERER STT then. Less practical and more aggressive than the KO. I'm sure the XZLs will look cool though :)

Scott, first of all amazing build, as others have already said many times. I've got a '99 D1 that I'm finishing little details on. I'm currently mounting a GPS just the same as you did here. I'm just wondering which wire is the constant 12v—the solid purple or purple/black stripe? I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere.

Thanks for the help!

As a heuristic approach to 12v wiring, the wire with a tracer is usually the switched power source.

Green96D1

Explorer
Got the Discovery back from the shop, and the ride has been transformed. Most of the vibrations are gone, although I am experience some from the rear driveshaft at about 70mph. The change in castor is noticeable and the steering more direct, but not as bad as anticipated. Most important, the harshness is gone from the rear suspension.

The power steering system was also completely renewed, with all new LR genuine parts. I also had the oil cooler lines replaced with genuine parts as well.View attachment 268866

Next is the powdercoated factory five-spoke steel wheels and new tires. Still tempted by 235/85s, but I might just go 215/85- jury is out. Then I will mount some 7.5 R16 XZLs on the black Defender/Series wheels.

Good looking Discovery that is like the perfect example of the "overland" type of build

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles