Pics-Earthroamer,Sportsmobile and Unicat

kcowyo

ExPo Original
x3 - Great pics and impressions Dave.

Ok, moment of truth. Some guy comes up to you, holds a gun to your head and says, "You must give up the keys to your 80, but you can take any of the vehicles you see here today, in trade."

Realistically, which way would you lean and which do you think would be more preferable traveling with a companion over trails in North America?

Just curious now that you've seen 'em up close...

Robthebrit

Explorer
That international Unicat is WAY bigger than I thought it was, its twice the size of a U500 unicat, its on the scale of the U2450 trucks.

The basic interior is interesting, the last unicat I saw was a MAN based european truck and it had a wine cooler and washer/dryer!

Rob

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
kcowyo said:
x3 - Great pics and impressions Dave.

Ok, moment of truth. Some guy comes up to you, holds a gun to your head and says, "You must give up the keys to your 80, but you can take any of the vehicles you see here today, in trade."

Realistically, which way would you lean and which do you think would be more preferable traveling with a companion over trails in North America?

Just curious now that you've seen 'em up close...

For what we do and the size we want... the sportsmobile is still what i would pick. IMHO the Jeep is too cramped and the unicat won't fit on any trails we go on lol We both really liked the F550 Earthroamer's size, but just didn't like the price tag.

I believe the Unicat sleeps 2 in the back (bed) and possibly 2 where the table is (folds down i believe). I dont know for sure.. i talked with the owner.. but we were sweating inside the thing so i didn't ask to many questions. It was a warm day in socal.

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I think the Sportsmobile is hard to beat as well. I've heard some great tales from the Trophy regarding the Badger's Sportsmobile. The one I've seen in person was enough to keep me day dreaming for a long time...

Any more thoughts on the 4wd Sprinter? I see a ton of conversion Sprinters here, from people travelling though on their way to Yellowstone NP, but no 4wd's yet. Did it look like it had the ground clearence and enough breakover angle's to be a good option? Any idea where they'll come in, price-wise?

I think they're narrow enough to handle a lot of situations but they're so tall that their height could be a problem on certain trails. I bet they're a pain to handle on the highway in heavy winds. But it's good to have another option.

Thanks for taking one for the team and going to the show with your camera. It snowed here yesterday if that makes you feel any better. ;)

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I got so caught up chatting with the sales rep at Sportsmobile about the Ford version that i totally forgot to ask for specs and pricing on the sprinter. I apologize. I wanted to know too. I know just by looking at the two side by side the sprinter didn't have nearly as much ground clearance as the Ford version.

lol Far from taking one for the team. It was our pleasure. The only problem i had was when Yosh saw the $1m dollar PREVOST 48' diesel pushers. Then we went to look at the 4x4. We should of looked at the 4x4 rigs first! The awe factor wasn't exactly there after seeing those amazing rigs. I really had to put her back in the right frame of mind.

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
SOCALFJ said:
I got so caught up chatting with the sales rep at Sportsmobile about the Ford version that i totally forgot to ask for specs and pricing on the sprinter. I apologize. I wanted to know too.

Totally understandable. Tt must have been sensory overload wandering around all those cool outfits. Thanks again for the info and getting so many great shots.

:beer:

erod

Adventurer
great pics and write ups...awesome vehicles! i think i too would go with the sportsmobile...its so cool you were able to check all those out in person and talk to the reps...do they serve beer there :) ? thanks for posting!

\\'anderer

Adventurer
I went over to the show today, those are some awesome vehicles. My personal favorite is the big earthroamer. But the jeep earthroamer would fit nicely behind one of the many giant diesel pushers
[dreaming]
....a 50' diesel pusher "base camp" to see the paved parts of the country, with the earthroamer jeep in tow, to see the rest of the country..

[/dreaming]

I briefly talked to the sportsmobile rep about the 4x4 sprinter. Sportsmobile is going to be converting the new 2wd sprinters to 4x4. The current 4x4 sprinter is an import Mercedes. The 4x4 drive train is not available on the US models.

Willman

Great writeup!

Love the EarthRoamer!

After seeing Badgers van......I'm a fan of those sweet rigs! Great ExPo platform!

Thanks for posting this up!

:)

86cj

Explorer
Thank you for the pics.....

I like the Jeep just for it's execution alone....The Sportsmobile makes me want my first Ford....What can you say about the Unicat...

That is just the kind of thing to get a person through the dark winter days ahead....:beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online