2nd? generation Pathfinder

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
If you are in the used market, what are the benefits of a 1st generation Xterra over a 2nd generation Pathfinder? I don't see any?

A friend of mine is in the market for a small Nissan SUV for mild wheeling and camping. He's partial to Nissan's because his cousin is the service manager at a local Nissan dealer.

I'm telling him to score a used, low mileage Pathfinder instead of a similar Xtrerra. Having driven both, I feel the Pathfinder has the following attributes:

More powerful (3.5 v6)
More conservative design
Better handling
Better braking

He will want to make minor suspension upgrades and add sliders and a roof rack...

Feedback please:ar15:

Attachments

• pathfinder.jpg
    pathfinder.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 68

IggyB

Adventurer
Pathfinder is a unibody design while Xterra is body on frame. There are more aftermarket 4x4 parts available for the Xterra.

Yes, the engine is more powerful in the Pathy, everything else is personal preference

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
frame?

I believe the frame is kind of a hybrid “monoframe” structure – a unibody upper with stamped steel frame rails that are welded in place to become part of the structure.

But definitely not a traditional ladder frame construct.

I doubt you could do a body lift on it...

And I'm sure there is less aftermarket support...

All good points!

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
The Xterra is body on frame where the Pathy is unibody so you can put a body lift on the X, but not the Pathy. There are several lifts available for the Pathfinder and 2" seems to be about right for reasonable size tires. Automotive Customizers carries skid plates, bumpers (extremely expensive), lockers and the like so don't let people tell you the Pathfinder is a grocery-getter while the Xterra is a real off-road machine. Marketing often wins over reality.

blaze one

Adventurer
I don't mean too anoy by bringing up old thread/topics , but i am considering trading in my 1999 Blazer 4dr 98000 miles , for a 1999 Pathfinder , 100000miles , Are there any advantages that the pathfinder would have over my blazer ? , such as suspension or reliability ? I have noticed that the pathfinder is not on a Ladder type frame ( my blazer is ) , and parts seem to be generally cheaper for the blazer , but not as available as parts for the pathy . Should i just stick with the blazer or are there somethings that i am missing about the pathfinder ? . xterra's and tacomas are out of my price range . there resale values are too high around here . Thanks .

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
If the Blazer is doing it for you and is reliable probably no great need to switch, but I would expect the Pathfinder to be both larger and more reliable than the Blazer. Not sure how capable those trucks are in stock form, but a 2" lift is not difficult for them and that would allow you to run at least 31" tires.

One thing to watch for with that age/mileage is worn rear suspension bushings. I'm not sure it is something you can inspect, just watch for a looseness from the rear end at highway speeds. If you are driving 60+ on a road worn by semis it would feel like the rear end wants to change lanes without the front. The fix is time consuming and frustrating, but not expensive if you do the work yourself. If you are sending it to a shop expect between $500-$1000 depending on the shop. Otherwise, they are pretty solid vehicles. Automotive Customizers (www.4x4parts.com) has a message board and you can check in with some owners of that model and see what they have to say. NPORA is also good (google them) and consists mostly of people who got turned off by the tone at the AC board -- it used to be very friendly but got overrun with jerks.

blaze one

Adventurer
well I have replaced the water pump , hoses , belt , battery , motor mounts , 4wd actuator , 4wd computer , tranny . on the Blazer , so as far as preventative matinence goes , i am fairly far ahead . Although that does not speak much for reliablity for it .
I need to replace the ball joints , change all drivetrain fluids , New Shocks , possibly the fuel pump( has started whining) and give it a full tune up and that should just about cover the whole truck , so far the engine has been good to me . ( knock on wood )
i wish the front end on my blazer was stronger , so i could add a locker , but that will have to be put on hold , if i feel that i am needing more off road capability then a minimal SAS with a 33" tire will have to happen .
Thanks for the thoughts about the pathfinder . I guess i will stick with the Blazer .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz