Dust to Snow- another Nevada transit

Lars70

Observer
Onward... Day Four

The fourth morning broke with some moderate cumulus visible from our north-facing outlook, but otherwise dry. We gambled that the two-track descending the gulch below our camp would take us toward a road that maps and gps indicated would be more substantial. That turned out to be correct, but first we crossed some interesting volcanic terrain, rough enough to once again actually require the services of my Atlas and ARB lockers. Traveling due east, this route took us to a good graded road that descended towards the northwest.

P1020798-L.jpg

Turning west, the graded road "upgraded" to pavement as we made our way toward Murphy Hot Springs and eventually, Jarbidge Canyon.

P1020801-L.jpg

According to the stories, usetabe that you could overfly the Murphy Hot Spring runway and the owner would show up and take you to the now-defunct resort. The resort may be gone, but the runway isn't. Gotta try landing there someday (another hobby, subject for some other thread):

P1020810-L.jpg

The descent into Jarbidge Canyon from the north, and the subsequent gradual climb up the canyon towards the town is worth the trouble. Jarbidge is just about as remote a settlement as you can hope to find in the lower 48. As we descended the grade into the canyon, the drops began to fall again, so stopping to shoot photos was not an interesting luxury. Not to mention that we wanted to take on fuel, and if possible, lunch. Lucky for us, gas was available at a rate that looks pretty attractive by late 2012 standards, and the lunch counter was open for business. We parked in front of the restaurant as rain began to fall in earnest, choosing to fuel up ourselves before topping off the fuel tanks.

P1020813-L.jpg

I need a beer. Now.

IMG_5059-L.jpg

Our plans were somewhat in disarray due to the weather. We were a lot further east than we wanted to be at this point, and it was early enough in the day that everyone agreed to press on. But to where? The planned route out of the canyon to the west had recently been closed due to a slide, which meant chewing up more time driving further north back toward Murphy Hot Springs before climbing up and out to the west.

A view back towards Jarbidge Canyon before achieving the plateau above:

P1020814-L.jpg

The view forward made it obvious that we weren't leaving the weather behind.

P1020816-L.jpg

The road dropped down to the Bruneau River, crossed it, and climbed Meadow Creek through the Mahogany Mountains. Rain fell continuously. By this time we had picked up weather broadcasts warning of a severe winter storm; the National Weather Service had a warning out for hunters and recreationalists (that would be us) to abandon plans (we didn't- yet). Of more immediate concern was oncoming traffic. Trucks like this get your attention, especially when the slick mud is making "keep right" an abstraction.

IMG_5068-XL.jpg

The cowboy driving the lead truck apologized profusely for making us wait for their passage. As far as we were concerned, we were the inconvenience, not them.

IMG_5067-L.jpg

We prefer to avoid established campgrounds, but with weather getting worse, we agreed that a USFS campground with space available was as good as it was going to get for the night.

IMG_5070-L.jpg

Last edited:

Lars70

Observer
Whither weather

Day five was wet from the get-go. Later we realized we managed to pick the one grim (weather-wise) week in the Fall season to plan a trip. Nothing to do but carry on. While packing up our wet gear I visualized my Thule car top carrier morphing into an Autohome Maggiolina RTT. Would have fit nicely on my crossbars. I have slept on the ground when camping almost exclusively for the last half-century, but I'm getting soft. That, and the idea of not having to pack sopping wet sleeping accommodations is getting mightily attractive. Next year...

After reaching Nevada 225 along Wild Horse Reservoir we made our way north to Owyhee, where we resupplied and filled the fuel tanks. One of our crew, with deadlines to meet, parted our company. Our original plan was to cross the Owyhee River at the pipeline crossing. The weather was deteriorating but the rest of us weren't ready to give up, so rather than part ways on pavement, we decided to stick together and find a more northerly crossing of the Owyhee, while continuing to work our way west. Later we learned that swaths of heavy snow and rain raged across the region, both to the south and north of us, but miraculously we only encountered light intermittent rainfall. A good thing, because our newly chosen route would have become impassable quickly with any rainfall beyond what we encountered. Snow would have been worse.

IMG_5072-L.jpg

P1020818-L.jpg

The mud on the road was slippery enough that it was entertaining to simply remain pointed straight ahead. Eventually though the flat volcanic plateau started to rise, the soil changed, and traction was found. Thus enabling us to stop for breaks without getting sideways. The climb also brought us in view of the Owyhee canyon country. In viewing it we realized how privileged we were, seeing more sublimely beautiful country that is far removed from the better-known spots overrun by the usual tourist hordes.

IMG_5078-L.jpg

P1020821-L.jpg

P1020826-L.jpg

Thankfully the Owhyee River was shallow enough that crossing was entertaining while remaining a non-event.

IMG_5085-L.jpg

IMG_5084-L.jpg

The climb out of the canyon was a steep, narrow shelf road, photos of which don't do it justice.

IMG_5094-L.jpg

P1020830-L.jpg

Gate at the top:

IMG_5095-L.jpg

With snow visible on the far peaks all around, with storm clouds boiling in the distance, we were surprised and pleased to realize that our route was dry. Time to find a spot for Night Five. Despite the lovely country, every fold in the terrain that we passed was unappealing, until the proverbial rise was crossed, revealing a thicket of trees in a gulch off to the right. Sent a scout off to survey. Word on the radio came back: c'mon up.

Lo and behold, someone had dragged what was once a beautiful aluminum-sided travel trailer into a hollow that made a natural corral.

P1020835-L.jpg

P1020834-L.jpg

Christmas lights aren't just for Christmas anymore.

IMG_5098-L.jpg

Last edited:

Lars70

Observer
Now for the "snow" part...

Surpise! The landscape had changed overnight. A thin layer of white stuff. Interestingly the night hadn't been quite as cold. And no wonder: between the insulating nature of the heavy cloud cover, and the insulating nature of the snow on my tent, no wonder I was almost too warm in my overkill down bag.

i-4r6BmPj-L.jpg

i-DGtXcRg-L.jpg

i-KpXNWWW-L.jpg

Did I mentioned that I was starting to suffer RTT lust?

Finally, the obligatory food prep shot. Well, sorta. Brrr... it might've been warmer overnight, but it sure wasn't that morning.

i-bcttpgR-L.jpg

Onward, south by southwest, to McDermitt via Devil's Gate.

Don't let this happen to you:

i-fksH2Tt-L.jpg

We weren't done with the precip yet. In this case, more snow.

i-cQv7v7K-L.jpg

The road down through Devil's Gate. More beautiful, mostly untrammeled wild country.

i-tFwC3s8-L.jpg

i-DWf6KL4-L.jpg

i-p6tgvWJ-L.jpg

Descending out of the mountains to US 95, we eventually arrived at McDermitt for fuel and supplies. By now our original plan was more or less in tatters, though at least McDermitt had been part of the plan. The Trout Creek Range immediately to the west had been part of that plan also, but once again we abandoned- the snowfall visible from the town made that an easy decision. Instead we drove north, back into Oregon, and then west, skirting the range to the north. Despite the disappointment of being shut out of our original route, we managed to find yet another treat of a campsite, tucked into a nearly-hidden hollow along a branch of Trout Creek.

But first, time for a soak:

i-RFCVZfb-L.jpg

Nice backdrop for a camp spot:

i-Lc3rtbC-L.jpg

Nice soft bedding for a good night's sleep:

i-q3t9tCH-L.jpg

And the camp kitchen. No fire this evening; the rain came to visit one last time, shortly after dinner had been consumed. The sunshade became a rain fly, a respite for telling lies and tall tales on our last night out:

i-jmXGrjC-L.jpg

Lars70

Observer
Thanks!

To y'all that have replied before. I have photos galore from lots of other trips with my usual band of suspects, around the Basin & Range country. Need to exercise the brain cells; maybe I can scare up a narrative for some of those, too.

toddz69

Explorer
A few additional thoughts and pictures to add to Lars' fine report and pictures. As we left Wendover on the first official day of our adventure, we had several views of the salt flats in the area. Someday I'd like to come here for the Bonneville races.

IMG_8478-1.jpg

Old iron lined up at the old pump at Montello. At this point, we had covered our first stretch of dirt and I was already unsure (purposefully) exactly which state we were in. I usually pore over maps in preparation for a trip. For this adventure, I purposely didn't plot our route in advance and relied on just following Lars wherever he led us. And as it turns out, that worked out just fine.

IMG_8496-1.jpg

Later in the day, I captured this shot of Roger coming over Devil's Pass behind us.

IMG_8514.jpg

As Lars noted earlier, descending Devil's Pass was an adventure in itself. The track was severely overgrown and we all had some nasty surprises as our trucks lurched and leaned into unseen holes and off camber tracks. In Arizona, I would've decided this trail led nowhere and we would've turned around. Just as our thoughts were seriously leaning in this direction, a well-constructed cattle guard appeared out of nowhere to add confirmation to Lars' GPS's assertion that this indeed was a road. Elliott's Tacoma somehow hit something hard enough to knock its taillight loose from its mooring. Nothing a little tape can't fix!

IMG_8559.jpg

For much of the next day, this was our view at the rear of the caravan; a view of small, individual dust clouds working their way out across the horizon in front of us. When we first broke camp (and before the troubleshooting exercise on Lars' truck), the terrain reminded me of the chaparral cattle country north of my hometown of Prescott, AZ. I half expected to come around a corner and meet Hoss and Little Joe wrangling cattle. By the afternoon, the sagebrush and junipers had disappeared and we found ourselves driving across grand, grass-covered mesas. Occasionally, we would come upon clumps of small trees, which reminded me of what I've often thought certain areas of Africa might resemble - except in this case instead of lions and tigers, we saw plenty of cattle. By this point in the trip, I had determined that, to paraphrase Henry Ford, a cow in Nevada could be any color it desired, as long as it was black.

IMG_8517.jpg

IMG_8518.jpg

By late in the afternoon we had climbed higher and higher until we were into the aspens around the USFS station. The air had a noticeable chill in it as the sun sank lower in the sky.

IMG_8530.jpg

Once again we put our faith in GPS as Lars led us off the beaten path onto a little two track through the grass.

IMG_8537.jpg

The trail grew fainter and fainter:

IMG_8540.jpg

And the storm clouds grew ever more menacing. At the remains of the homestead where we spent the night, I found this grain drill - testament to someone's long-ago efforts at farming this country.

IMG_8545.jpg

Our evening's camp at the end of the rainbow.

IMG_8548.jpg

Last edited:

Lars70

Observer
Homeward bound

The last few days of our trip originally had us making our way southwest from Denio over the mountains between that dusty crossroads town and the Black Rock Desert; despite improving weather, that route was obviously well snowed-in, and were beat from dealing with weather delays, detours and mud. Everyone decided to throw in the towel a couple of days early, head for home. But, to pick up in Denio some other Fall, and complete the trip.

This Bronco is saying "take me to that mountain: I don't wanna go home yet!"

i-9Q8Q9SG-L.jpg

A look out the window as we followed the 2-track through the sage, back to the main road:

i-8Gd9N8z-L.jpg

A final lineup before heading west to the highway that would take us to Denio:

i-BbqsFpg-L.jpg

Another dream, abandoned:

i-TcnBB9f-L.jpg

Some cleaning required:

i-Rj5f252-L.jpg

Denio Junction landmarks:

i-Rd4cb5b-L.jpg

i-kxzWCnL-L.jpg

We found one last byway and managed to stay off the dirt for most of the drive from Denio to Winnemucca. A view ahead:

i-kZrrb7N-L.jpg

...and one last view behind:

i-D8jKF79-L.jpg

These fellows get to enjoy the scenery every day:

i-mMn7n8q-L.jpg

One last crossroads before reaching Interstate 80 and the spiritual end of our journey:

i-PSPRBn2-L.jpg

That's all for this trip, folks. Hope you enjoyed riding along with us...

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Just an FYI for any of you folks that may want to visit some of the areas in the above post. The fires that happened last year were pretty minor compared to what happened late this summer. A great portion of the mountains in and around Owyhee and Mountain City went up in smoke. And the Trout Creek Mountains west of McDermitt are completely burned. Actually, from just south of Burns Junction to the north, to the Owyhee River to the east, almost all the way to Denio in the west, all of it burned. Over 720 square miles of prime, beautiful wilderness gone up in smoke, along with a lot of the wildlife living there. Google "Holloway fire" to get some idea of what was involved. It looks like a barren moonscape now. Anyway, my understanding is that most of this area is now closed to prevent erosion, etc.

Lars70

Observer
Just an FYI for any of you folks that may want to visit some of the areas in the above post. The fires that happened last year were pretty minor compared to what happened late this summer. A great portion of the mountains in and around Owyhee and Mountain City went up in smoke. And the Trout Creek Mountains west of McDermitt are completely burned. Actually, from just south of Burns Junction to the north, to the Owyhee River to the east, almost all the way to Denio in the west, all of it burned. Over 720 square miles of prime, beautiful wilderness gone up in smoke, along with a lot of the wildlife living there. Google "Holloway fire" to get some idea of what was involved. It looks like a barren moonscape now. Anyway, my understanding is that most of this area is now closed to prevent erosion, etc.

Thanks for the update. I had no idea; what a bummer. As soon as I get a combination of time and good weather I'll do an aerial reconnaissance and add some photos to this thread.

Mission vehicle:

i-bC7VjWh-L.jpg

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
I loved this thread, thank you for posting it. You guys looked like you were having such a great time, and the photos and commentary were really well done.

Thanks!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Lars & Todd...
great combo of pics & storytelling from each of you make this a great read.

Lars please, please post up any past trips you have done. The style you use to add a bit of narrative to each pics really takes me along for the adventure.

Now as to this trip...yeah looks a bit cold for me :) And supports why I have a sleep inside setup in my 70 Burb.
Great combo of rigs, the broncos look right at home (like reading an issue of Desert Magazine) and the Yota's give a nice variety.
I really like how everyone banded together to fix your rig Lars but might have been too many IQ points in that crowd.

I plan to re-read this as part of planning an adventure up that way so thanks for doing such a great job.

Looking forward to more in the future.

Lars70

Observer
I loved this thread, thank you for posting it. You guys looked like you were having such a great time, and the photos and commentary were really well done.

Thanks!

My pleasure! It was fun, mostly; some stressful moments, but that's part of why we do these things. I spend way too much of my life chained to a desk with a computer on it. So nice to get a change of scenery!

Lars & Todd...
great combo of pics & storytelling from each of you make this a great read.

Lars please, please post up any past trips you have done. The style you use to add a bit of narrative to each pics really takes me along for the adventure.

Now as to this trip...yeah looks a bit cold for me :) And supports why I have a sleep inside setup in my 70 Burb.
Great combo of rigs, the broncos look right at home (like reading an issue of Desert Magazine) and the Yota's give a nice variety.
I really like how everyone banded together to fix your rig Lars but might have been too many IQ points in that crowd.

I plan to re-read this as part of planning an adventure up that way so thanks for doing such a great job.

Looking forward to more in the future.

Thanks for the kind words, Lance. I will gather my thoughts and post some more.

Amusingly, this trip was on the warm side by our standards. During the trips of the two prior years we saw overnight temps dip to nearly single digits, albeit with better weather overall.

As for that Bronco, I've (re)built that thing from box stock, in some areas more than twice, during nearly 17 years of owning it. I know pretty much every inch of it. But it still manages to confound me once in awhile. Usually due to bad choices I've made- in the case of that switch, used, unknown quality and suitability. After building an airplane, I am now (semi)educated about switches. The replacement is more up to the task :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles