Dust to Snow- another Nevada transit

toddz69

Explorer
After our damp camp at the end of the rainbow and just after the airstrip visit that Lars' documented earlier, we stopped to circle the wagons and take a few group pictures.

First the Broncos:

IMG_8565-1.jpg

In reviewing the vehicles it's interesting (at least to this car-crazy engineer) to note the similarities: late model 5.0 fuel injected engines, 35" tires, aftermarket suspensions with gas-charged mono tube dampers, power steering, 4 wheel disc brakes with hydroboost assist, heavy duty axles, Atlas transfer cases, transmission conversions (2 of the 3 having an overdrive), roll cages, and various amounts of "expedition/overlanding" gear in them.

And the Toyotas:

IMG_8566.jpg

Again, it was neat that we had 3 different generations of Toyota pickups represented. Each of them was well outfitted for our travels as well.

I found the small town of Jarbidge to be quite interesting - from a historical standpoint, visual appearance, and just the overall vibe of the place. Lars had not been certain of the fuel situation during planning so we had extra fuel along but thankfully the pumps in town were working so we filled up.

IMG_0297.jpg

By now, rain gear, tarps, and muddy roads were a constant for us.

Our fearless leader, Lars, in happy hour repose at that night's campsite:

IMG_0299.jpg

A map of the territory ahead, which curiously didn't mention anything about mud.

IMG_0304.jpg

At some point in the slog, we came upon a two hole outhouse perched on a plain. Of course Roger and I had to sit down and spend some quality time together.

image001.png

Late in the day, we stopped for a break to decide where to find a place to camp for the night. We had been traveling on a long, high plain at this point for what seemed like many hours. The sun was sinking lower and the temps were dropping. My co-driver Terry snapped this photo of me as we were beginning to wonder where we would lay our heads that night.

Bronco_NV.jpg

And as Lars noted earlier, an old cowboy camp suddenly presented itself as the perfect spot for the night. It had a certain eeriness to it for me. The remains of a dead cow in the bushes as we entered the camp, the decaying trailer, and an outhouse off in the bushes that rocked when you used it all combined to conjure up images of Krakauer's "Into the Wild" for me. Thankfully, Lars' LED light decorations on the trailer, great food and great company around the fire pushed those thoughts to the recesses of my brain for the night and I slept well as the snow fell.

Breakfast and sunlight the next morning warmed our bodies and our spirits as we tramped around camp.

IMG_0309.jpg

During our travels the next day, we happened upon these hot springs. Evan couldn't resist and jumped in for warm soak while the rest of us, on about day 5 or 6 without showers at this point, gazed wistfully at the warm waters but resisted the urge.

IMG_0315.jpg

Our last night's camp was apparently teeming with wildlife. One of our party flushed a huge buck out of some underbrush while on a short hike and Evan pulled this beauty out of the creek running alongside our camping site.

DSCN0561.jpg

All in all, a wonderful trip.

Todd Z.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I was wondering if anyone actually soaked in that hot springs...not sure if I would have ever left it :)

Great looking fish there, catch & release or dinner feast?

Droolio

Nice write up Todd and Lars. The cool pix and compelling narrative ... it's almost like I was there. Epic adventure!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The warmish springs were tempting, but getting back out into the ambient temperature put a decided damper on that idea. At least for me it did.

I echo the Africa-esque in spots comments. Two examples:
IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

I think that I heard Elliot muttering something like "Good-bye cruel world, I'm crossing over Devil's Pass...... "
IMG_0234.jpg

Tiger sighting:
IMG_0280.jpg

Jarbidge:
IMG_0283.jpg

Foy

Explorer
Nice work, great story, great pics, and love that old iron.

Thanks for putting forth the considerable effort to post this. I have a few general questions:

You must have crossed US 93 south of Jackpot and skirted the headwaters of Salmon Falls Creek drainage enroute to the high ground between it and the East Fork of Jarbidge River, thence descending into Idaho to intersect the Three Creek Rd running between Rogerson, ID and Jarbidge (w/Murphy HS along the way). This high ground between the drainages is the "USFS station" area, I guess. Is that correct?

I'm guessing you left Jarbidge to north but quickly crossed the Jarbidge River, climbed out of its canyon, and crossed the high ground to the Bruneau River canyon, descending into it at Rowland, where you crossed and then went all the way up Meadow Creek to the USFS campground at Gold Creek (?), thence west to NV 225 at Wild Horse Reservoir. Or was that north/west route from Jarbidge to Rowland closed, requiring you to depart Jarbidge to the south, over Coon Creek and Bear Creek summits, to the Bruneau?

Did you cross the Owyhee at Star Ranch? Bull Camp? Can it be crossed at 45 Ranch at that time of year?

Was the hot spring pictured there in the Alvord desert in SE Oregon?

With a few variations, your traverse is very similar to one we're planning/scheming for summer 2013. We want to start NE of Wendover, on the salt, thence west/northwest to cross US 93 south of Jackpot, up the Jarbidge canyon to Jarbidge, over the passes south of there, up to and past Sunflower Res, summit Merritt Mountain, see Rio Tinto mines near Mountain City, over Maggie Summit and Bull Run Reservoir, through Tuscorora, and finally to Midas.

Again, great report. Any details on the above much appreciated.

Foy

Lars70

Observer
Foy, you pretty well figured it out. We did return north to depart Jarbidge; the road we took from there to the Bruneau River is as you described- it's also the main route into town if/when the southern option is closed.

We planned to cross the Owyhee south of Bull Camp- Star Ranch is private, wasn't sure we'd be able to get permission with a group of our size. Under the circumstances (weather) and the lack of recent information about road conditions, we went north. Can't comment on the conditions of the 45 Ranch year-round, but it worked for us.

Hot spring was near (south of) but not in, the Alvord.

Feel free to PM if you'd like more information.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Nice report!

As you discovered one could spend years exploring just NE Nevada and still not get bored! Locrwln, Mrs. Locrwln, a buddy of mine and I did a wonderful explore of the area in late June/early July 2010; one of the most memorable trips of all!

If you're up that way again be sure to check out the metal artwork, crafted from old car parts, at a ranch just east of the turn-off to Pennsylvania Hill on NV 11A near Deer Creek. The trail to the top of Pennsylvania Hill is a nice side excursion too with great views atop.

Dan

Attachments

• DSC_2147.jpg
    DSC_2147.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_2149.jpg
    DSC_2149.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_2154.jpg
    DSC_2154.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 17

seeNik48

Adventurer
Old thread, great trip report

I found this while researching a trip where you were. Hot springs were lovely, especially at night with a trillion stars. We have camped there before. Anyway, got some wonderful places to explore from your report. And, some we won’t as our big rig wouldn't make some of them (Devils Pass). But, maybe Devils Gate? Anyway, being rockhound sand photographers and lovers of seclusion, we feel that Northern Nevada, Southeast Oregon have it all. We also checked out a few other threads and figured out your routes more or less from our Benchmarks. Thanks again. I probably won’t be too specific on places, too as I would hate to see these places overrun. Beautiful country to explore. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles