Do we need a car permit to drive the lenght of Baja?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
It used to be that you could drive about half-way without a temporary car permit. Is it still the case?

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Yes you can drive to the Tip of Baja without a car permit, it is part of the FREE ZONE! However I do not know if you can get a temporary vehicle permit at La Paz to cross to Mazatlan!

dangerbus

BryDanger
As I understood it this is still technically true, but there is a way to go around the checkpoint midway down (ill see if i can find the blog from the couple who went around).
I dont think the checkpoint was even manned when we blew past it- so a guess you could play the odds.

either way, you have to have the paperwork to ship to the mainland and its cheaper to do it at the border than at the ferry dock, so i would suggest taking care of it when crossing in TJ

toddz69

Explorer
Yes you can drive to the Tip of Baja without a car permit, it is part of the FREE ZONE!

That's what we've been told the last two times we've driven south (2010 and April of this year). You have to stop at the checkpoint near Guerrero Negro to have your tires sprayed for bugs but otherwise you're good to go.

Todd Z.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
As I understood it this is still technically true, but there is a way to go around the checkpoint midway down (ill see if i can find the blog from the couple who went around).
I dont think the checkpoint was even manned when we blew past it- so a guess you could play the odds.

At Guerrero Negro they only check for your tourist permits, no vehicle permits!

285177230_4Bo6f-XL-1.jpg

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
A few weeks ago they didn't even do that, just the bug spray deal.

...and I agree, it has been a few times when they check your permits, however they always check for fruits and vegetables and will always spray the under body of your vehicle for a small charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles