Criminal Records

snowbear

Observer
So does anyone else here have one? I am assuming a DUI counts as a criminal record. It does in Canada and crossing their border was a problem until enough years had passed. I don't like to be dishonest but sometimes answering the question 'Do you have any criminal record?' yes causes more problems. Any advice/experience appreciated.

peneumbra

Explorer
1. Never Confess to anything.
2. Never tell the police your true identity.
3. Never sign anything in ink.

Yes, I'm being (very) serious...

Expedition Leader
So does anyone else here have one? I am assuming a DUI counts as a criminal record. It does in Canada and crossing their border was a problem until enough years had passed. I don't like to be dishonest but sometimes answering the question 'Do you have any criminal record?' yes causes more problems. Any advice/experience appreciated.

I do, from a misspent youth. Fortunately for me that was long ago, before the age of computerized records of any sort. I have been honest about it with my children and family over the years since. For employers and most others I have used a "don't ask don't tell" philosophy where I never volunteer anything but would be honest if I was asked a direct and specific question. But for police and all other government authority it is up to them to find it if they can as far as I'm concerned, and none of them have yet. I have a very low level of trust for police of any sort, as a result of my various interactions with them and of course a trip through the justice system.

So I guess the question you have to ask yourself is, how quickly and easily could your criminal record be found/confirmed by a given officer/authority where you are at the time? The other one I still worry about is how easily could this authority figure ruin my day if he decided he didn't like me for whatever reason? The answers to these will help determine your course of action, but in general never ever volunteer any more information than is absolutely necessary.

XJINTX

Explorer
I've always wondered what other countries check when the run your passport? Do they only have access to their data or is it some International one? You mentioned Canada checks ... is that for all country's offenses or just Canada? I wonder about Mexico too... seems the American side always takes longer... coming back than Mexico going in.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
1. Never Confess to anything.
2. Never tell the police your true identity.
3. Never sign anything in ink.

Yes, I'm being (very) serious...

well i normally dont get involved in discussion like this but, never tell the police you true identity? really. never ever follow this advice. being a police officer myself, if you got no id on you with a picture and i stop you for some minor traffic offense. you give me the im joe smith when youre really bob smith, well then that just went from a traffic violation and possible ticket to you going strait to jail.

never sign anything in ink? really. this sounds like some silly thought process that only a legal signature if its in ink or blood or red ink. a signature is a signature. the cops dont care if you use a lavender crayon.

i go through these forums everyday and enjoy them thoroughly. but i refuse to let some one ask a serious question to be told some jail house lawyer crap.

in regards to the original posters questions about the boarder crossing stuff. yes the dui would considered a criminal record, however there no law that you cant play dumb and going with the assumption they're inquiring about drug and violent offenses. if they find and call you out on it, just tell them it was a traffic offense and you did not realize they were interested in a traffic offense that has already been adjudicated.

never ever lie about who you are because it will always unravel on you and get you in trouble when there is no need to add insult to injury.

Last edited:

snowbear

Observer
thanx for the replys. It is a question on one of the Mexico pre-entry websites. Answering it truthfully is always a quandry.

To the question on what do they check, Canada has access to US police records back to the 80's. Sometimes they check when you enter sometimess they don't. When they asked and I said no, then they check and find the records I have been brought in for a *long* question and answer session. I was never denied access even tho by their law they had every right to do so.

I have no idea about Mexico. If they have records access like Canada they get the info just as fast as they can type in the request. Something I have been considering in my decision... so far all I have seen is a place to enter passport number, I don't recall seeing a place for drivers license number. DL number is how Canada gets the info. But I have not been thru all the paperwork yet.

Keep the input coming, it all helps

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I would not worry one bit about entering into Mexico or any Latin America country with a DUI on your record. In fact I wouldn't worry even if I had a felony drug record but I might expect to get searched! Now if you had done time in prison for say rape, arm'ed robbery, ect, you may get hassled or refused at the border. And rightly so IMHO....

As the police officer said above, just play your cards right, if it does come up deal with it accordingly. And what he says pretty much rings true even with corrupt cops trying to rob you. They have no way of pulling up any info on you out on the road but I still wouldn't lie to them or push the limits in a situation.

And FYI, I have been across the Mexican border 4x in my own vehicle but I have no criminal record.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I've always wondered what other countries check when the run your passport? Do they only have access to their data or is it some International one? You mentioned Canada checks ... is that for all country's offenses or just Canada? I wonder about Mexico too... seems the American side always takes longer... coming back than Mexico going in.

I think it depends on the country and their system, ie how modern it is. However, since 9/11 I think you may find that most info on you will come up at most border crossings. Again, it all depends on how modern their system is. One thing I learned out on the road and crossing into other countries is that the USA stopped stamping pass ports for re-entry in about 2004. it is simply scanned now and logged in the system. My ignorance to this fact caused me some problems when crossing into Belize once as I had to deal with a corrupt official and he used my ignorance to this against me.

So it is good to be informed in every way you can be. Information is power. :)

Expedition Leader
Also, I forgot to say that I have been to Mexico more times than I can remember and numerous trips to Ireland and the U.K., and I have never once been asked if I had a criminal record in any of those places.

Expedition Leader
do you wait and do paperwork at the border instead of online?

Yes; I have always just showed up at the border, never done anything on-line before that, but it has been a few years since I've driven into Mexico.

If all you're talking about is a DUI/DWI, I wouldn't even bother telling them about it. Unless you killed someone while you were drunk or damaged some property, it's just a traffic ticket. The chances of the INM checking your driving record in the U.S. is pretty slim I'd bet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles