Ute/flatbed setups

Doc Mayhem

Observer
I am considering getting a Ute/flatbed for my 2006 Dodge Ram quad cab shortbed and am intersted to see how people load/set them up and tie down items. Where are people running their spare tires, fuel/water cans, toolboxes, compressors, batteries, Hi-lift etc.

Thanks in advance.
-Doc

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Here is my old PW with a Ute bed- wish I had never sold her...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    428.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    423.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    429.1 KB · Views: 161

dddonkey

Adventurer
I wish that my wife would let me put a flatbed on my truck, it is so much more useful the the regular bed I think.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I think on most flat beds the spare still goes in the same spot underneath the bed. But if you have the ability to weld aluminum you could probably just make a triangular shaped vertical stand with some sort of a hub to put the wheel on up close to the cab, thats probably about the best way to not waste space on the deck I think. I've seen one once where they put the hub to stick the spare on up on top of the head ache rack too, so the tire was horizontal.

hackster

Adventurer
I just finished the build on this so no gear spare or other items yet, but it should prove to be a nice clean utility setup. I am driving this from Portland to Homer Alaska this summer so I will have gear loaded up on it in the next few months. Spare is going baja style on the back of the bed.

D572EE96.jpg

ACD978C5.jpg

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Made an aluminum mount on the end of the tool box and off the back of the headboard- the tire is a very tight squeeze with the side up, but was intentionally built as such.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Im in the process of designing and building a flatbed for my 04 chevy 2500 short box. Im about 2 months out on the build but will posts pics when its done. Its going to have 4 under bed boxes one each corner, and at the front of the headache rack ill have one of something like this on each side

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200311031_200311031

which will give me room for a spare in between the two, possibly for a hilift as well.

Im also thinking folding sides as well. We will see what comes of it

hackster

Adventurer
Im in the process of designing and building a flatbed for my 04 chevy 2500 short box. Im about 2 months out on the build but will posts pics when its done. Its going to have 4 under bed boxes one each corner, and at the front of the headache rack ill have one of something like this on each side

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200311031_200311031

which will give me room for a spare in between the two, possibly for a hilift as well.

Im also thinking folding sides as well. We will see what comes of it
Wouldnt those sliding drawers fill up with water and debris from trees and leaves? It does not appear that they are water tight and recommends them for installation in a truck with a tonneau cover.

Just curious.

Sean

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Sean,

Those are not the exact model I will be using. For all our farm trucks we source from a builder here in town, and have never had any leaked even when parked under the big gun of a pivot. The link was to show an example of the type.

thanks

Wouldnt those sliding drawers fill up with water and debris from trees and leaves? It does not appear that they are water tight and recommends them for installation in a truck with a tonneau cover.

Just curious.

Sean

Doc Mayhem

Observer
Some kind of additional boxes would be nice. I feel my self leaning towards the ute bed because it is less of an unknown and has most of what I want. I may see what somebody local could build. I had also thought of setting up the batteries under the bed, sort of like a semi tractor, to get some weight off the front, but may be more work than it is worth. My fabrications skills are minimal.

-Doc

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
I just finished the build on this so no gear spare or other items yet, but it should prove to be a nice clean utility setup. I am driving this from Portland to Homer Alaska this summer so I will have gear loaded up on it in the next few months. Spare is going baja style on the back of the bed.

D572EE96.jpg

ACD978C5.jpg

Awesome truck! My 3-5 year plan with my '91 is to swap on a crew cab, but I want to do it on my Reg cab/long bed wheel base. The back of the cab would stop before the rear wheel and I could build a 5' flat bed without extending the length of the vehicle or 6' by adding 1', it looks as though you have shortened your rear overhang by 1.5'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior