LX450 + CHINOOK CONVERSION

swcruiser

Observer
I am out of town for a couple weeks but ill try and get some new pics up soon. im hoping the interior will go quickly and ill be able to show everyone the basics of the interior. sent a few more inquiries about the stove. why make beautiful things than make it impossible to buy! That stove is expensive but man look how easy the clean up is!!! i like simple efficient with great design!

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
I am out of town for a couple weeks but ill try and get some new pics up soon. im hoping the interior will go quickly and ill be able to show everyone the basics of the interior. sent a few more inquiries about the stove. why make beautiful things than make it impossible to buy! That stove is expensive but man look how easy the clean up is!!! i like simple efficient with great design!

Maybe cobble together a sink/faucet/ with folding burner similar to it... out of a small bar sink and propane camp stove top???

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
That SMEV 2 burner sink/stove combo is a great deal. $205.00 for that... I think I found my kitchen pull out suff!!

Love this truck BTW, always wanted one.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
Maybe cobble together a sink/faucet/ with folding burner similar to it... out of a small bar sink and propane camp stove top???

When I first saw the Can Foldy 2 Burner unit I was particularly impressed that they'd fit the two burners into that space. I'll post the pics on Monday when I get to the laptop they're in.

There are plenty of burners that could be easily fabricated to mount on a sink lid, I'd even bought two used Snow Peak titanium Giga Power stoves to potentially modify for this purpose.

It's surprising how many large, stainless steel salad bowls or catering/food service pans are very good shapes and sizes to be camper sinks, they also cost way less than comparable camper outfitter sourced items!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
It's surprising how many large, stainless steel salad bowls or catering/food service pans are very good shapes and sizes to be camper sinks, they also cost way less than comparable camper outfitter sourced items!
Also the stainless steel containers used for holding restaurant buffet and salad bar components. Very inexpensive compared to any official sink, and several workable sizes.

P1170205 (1).JPG

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
In the UK (and in Europe) these pans are called Gastronorm Pans, but are apparently not called that in the US, so I called them catering/food service pans, sorry for my lack of clarity (I just don't know what they're called in the US).

When I went to the catering supplier (Nisbets) in London, I discovered that they have different types of lids for the pans, including leak proof lids, shown in pic one. Pic three is a translucent polycarbonate lid. These pans also are also available in polycarbonate.

For making a DIY Can Foldy sink/hob combination, a Gastronorm pan and lid would be an excellent, inexpensive starting point...

k098.jpg
k079.jpg
u249.jpg

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Hey, I had a chinook project at one point in time and have left over parts, namely the sink and stove.

You are more than welcome to have them if it would help you out with your build. I'm in Flag too.

Let me know here, or via PM.

Gavin

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Hey, I had a chinook project at one point in time and have left over parts, namely the sink and stove.

You are more than welcome to have them if it would help you out with your build. I'm in Flag too.

Let me know here, or via PM.

Gavin

Now that is just plain awesome.

swcruiser

Observer
Gavin,
thanks for the offer!!!! I decided that i would update the interior a little bit. I get going back and forth with original vs. new but I think some of the units out there now are well done.

chris

Itsavanman

Adventurer
that's awesome! one of the reasons why they stopped using the 4cylinder Toyota chassis for motor homes was because it just wasn't strong enough for prolonged use, but use a land cruiser, with a v8.. well i think ya just took care of that, any plans for the cut off rear portion? would make a cool trailer lol....

Itsavanman

Adventurer
another suggestion, just from a visual standpoint, have you thought about building some storage boxes in the "gap" between the bottom of the camper, and where the frame is? could be really handy for storage as its a pretty small camper, but would also make everything flow real nice too, would be real easy to build too, just frame out the area with 2x2's or 1x2's in the shape you would like it to look like, stretch fleece over the wood frame and slather with resin and then add a few more layers of fiberglass and resin, sand and paint, voila!
fjcamper.jpg
might take a few more hours then just a quick doodle with MS paint but u get the idea...

Last edited:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
that's awesome! one of the reasons why they stopped using the 4cylinder Toyota chassis for motor homes was because it just wasn't strong enough for prolonged use, but use a land cruiser, with a v8.. well i think ya just took care of that, any plans for the cut off rear portion? would make a cool trailer lol....

That's an 80-series (LX-450) with an inline-6 but I'm sure it still moves it around just fine.

...and the 1-ton 22re-powered Toyota chassis under the class-C motor homes is plenty strong for prolonged use, especially with the full-float rear end and big 6-lug rotors...I have no idea why they stopped using them. :( My family still camps in our '88 22-foot...original clutch and no engine work needed since new.

...Sorry, back to the build...

Itsavanman

Adventurer
that's just what i read about the 1 ton motor home chassis. and yea der 450 not 470.. but you could have one of those with a 2uz lol...

swcruiser

Observer
storage

Yes I am putting storage boxes below the camper. Someone provided the cladding for the lx450 and I may use this as a template for the resin:wings:.. if that proves too much Ill buy some and modify slightly to fit for my application. will have some more updates in the next few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94