Sam's 84 Expo Build

fjatheart

Adventurer
Nice planning on the rear bumper. It looks like you've got the design and building skills down!

Do you happen to remember the brand of LED's you went with?

Last edited:

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Nice planning on the rear bumper. It looks like you've got the design and building skills down!

Do you happen to remember the brand of LED's you went with?

The LEDs in the bed Im not positive Id have to look it up again. You can buy a whole strip of em off ebay though. The LEDs in the front bumper are Blitzpro lights.

Well been really busy with school and everything as of lately especially with finals coming up. But I got bored today and tired of studying so I decided to make something with my new Hobart welder and some scrap I had laying around. Since I will be making a rack/basket for the rear I wanted to make a little step ladder so my GF could reach up. So after a lil dicking around I came up with this: Also found a bit of time to finish up my half doors for good now.

MK13

Nice work so far! I noticed you have a factory round tube bumper for now. Those things are nearly indestructible, I had one on my '84 long bed (before i bobbed the bed to short bed length) and I have been rear ended twice with the only damage to my truck being bent bumper brackets(both times the cars that hit me had an obliterated front end). I just heated those with a torch and bent them back straight and everything was good as new. They do hang a little low though.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Its been a long time since Ive updated this thread, but I have been busy with my travels and then back to school it was. I did however began building my rear bumper, but progress is slow. I also got a new set of tires and wheels for the old girl on Friday. And yes I still drive her daily about 50miles round trip. Heres also a blog where I keep track of some of my travels.

http://anarchyexpeditions.blogspot.com/

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
So a bit of an update: My expo build is steadily moving along again. Yesterday I just picked up a new Tcase with 4.7:1 ratio in it to swap in place of the factory 2.3:1 ratio. Its a top shifted Tcase and came with Twin sticks. Just gotta find some time to install it when I am free. Detailed write up for the install coming soon. I will be swapping out my forward shift for the top shift so the center console will have to be cut up a bit I think. No biggy though since I planned on building my own console with lockbox for when I drive with the half doors.

Also recently picked up a new vinyl cutter. I can finally cut my own decals and banners. So one of the first things I did was remove the bedside TRD stickers and made black ones of a design I liked.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Thanks, I might add to the decal. I am thinking about adding a red outline to the TRD and maybe some red mountains. I like the soft top but I have been second guessing myself on it. I like the way they look, but for actual camping its not ideal. I may eventually switch to a hardtop.

Last edited:

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
I just installed a twin stick, and 4.7 t-case in my 4runner. I had built a console a few months ago, and will
have to add clearance to it, and will have to mod the transmission shifter, as it hits the left stick when
it's in low range, and transmission is shifted to 2nd. Mine's a top shift also.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
I just installed a twin stick, and 4.7 t-case in my 4runner. I had built a console a few months ago, and will
have to add clearance to it, and will have to mod the transmission shifter, as it hits the left stick when
it's in low range, and transmission is shifted to 2nd. Mine's a top shift also.

I heard about the shift hitting, I think I will probably opt for modding the tcase shifter instead. I will probably just stick the tcase in there and check clearances before I do anything definitively. How do you like your 4.7 case though? Better than the factory one I assume?

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Much, much better. The twin sticks don't leave much room. If I were still taking machining classes at night, I'd
just make some really small knobs and they would clear. It won't need much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles