Sam's 84 Expo Build

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Looks like I will be installing the new case in tomorrow with the help of a friend and then taking it out to URE for a shakedown test. I'll have a trip report and install tut soon.

Toyotero

Explorer
Sam,

That's a great looking truck, you've definitely done well with your choices of modifications.

I just read your blog about how you got it, that's a cool story, you're definitely living up to your side of that bargain :-D

Cheers,

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
I appreciate the kind words Toyotero!

So today was a total success! we got the new case in although it has a horrible red paint on it. I wanted to get it in the truck before the trip. My two buddies came over at around 9:30 and got some breakfast. We changed out all the fluid in the case and tranny. Cut a hole in my floor for the shifters which worked out great. I got more pics of the install but these are all ima put up for now. Gotta go to bed soon. Early rise and shine tomorrow. Basically started at 10Am this morning and finished it at about 2PM including buttoning it up and reworking the center console a bit. Overall super stoked about the case and she runs perfectly. Packed her up about an hour ago and ready for a camping trip this weekend.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Well just picked up my new Jeep replacement a couple hours ago. So this is gonna turn into somewhat of a tandem build thread.

Last edited:

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
So I took my pickup out to URE about 2 weeks ago for a shakedown run and to test out my newly installed Tcase. The Tcase did amazing and I love the 4.7 gears in it. I really should have posted these pictures up about 2 weeks ago, but Ive been swamped with school work lately. Anyhow I figured its about time I posted some of these pics up. All the pictures were taken at or near URE national forest. A few of them were taken on private lands that the group I was riding with were given permission to go on.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Welp a bit of an update. Found out my idler arm is worn out on the 4runner, so I ordered a new one from rockauto and it arrived today. Also cleaned up the new axle and prepped it to install in the pickup tomorrow. Basic rundown of whats in the axle:

5.29 gears
lockright locker
Chromoly shafts
longs chromoly hub gears
aisin hubs

I plan on ordering another set of 5.29 gears and master install kit to do the rear myself soon.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Forgot to update this thread: but I got the axle swapped in about a week ago. Then threw my spare 35 on for ****s and giggles. Seemed to fit alright.

Welp ordered some goodies for the pickup. I got a painless wiring harness for dual battery. Also placed an order for 5.29 gears and 2 trail gear diff covers. Just waiting for those to show up now.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
It's looking great.

Don't toss your old idler arm, get replacement OEM bushings for $10 or so, or step up a tad more, and install brass instead.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Well I would have just kept the old one and rebuilt it with an OEM bushing if it had been a factory unit. The previous owner must have replaced it with an advance auto cheapo or something and its not rebuildable. I ended up just chucking it in the trash.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Got more goodies from the brown santa today! Started tearing into the rear axle today to install my new 5.29 rear. Also began welding on my rear diff guard. Tomorrows plan is to get my front diff guard welded on and then fill up the rear diff, bleed the brakes and go for a test drive. Trying to get everything installed by Sunday for a URE trip with Dorton and Andy.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
I got a ton done today in preparations for tomorrow's wheeling trip. Got my diff guards welded on and painted. Finished swapping in my 5.29 third in, bled the brakes, filled it up with gear oil and went for a test drive.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Well in preparations for a cross country road trip this summer, thought building a tire carrier couldnt have come at a better time than now. So I started welding one together today. Still need to finish mounts and gusseting the thing. I also want to add a few things and finish it off.

May be missing something or a post but which vehicle is going to be your "expedition" vehicle, the pickup or 4runner? They both seem pretty similar in build. Are you preparing them differently for their intent or is one getting sold?

Either way, keep it coming. Looking to buy another Tacoma but have a 86 pickup also. It has a blown motor but have a ton of build up parts (5.29 thirds with Detroit and spool, solid axle parts, dual cases) if I ever get a chance to build it. It is tempting to sell my current Tacoma and take that money and build up the 86. Just the lack of room and long distance drivability is holding me back.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
May be missing something or a post but which vehicle is going to be your "expedition" vehicle, the pickup or 4runner? They both seem pretty similar in build. Are you preparing them differently for their intent or is one getting sold?

Either way, keep it coming. Looking to buy another Tacoma but have a 86 pickup also. It has a blown motor but have a ton of build up parts (5.29 thirds with Detroit and spool, solid axle parts, dual cases) if I ever get a chance to build it. It is tempting to sell my current Tacoma and take that money and build up the 86. Just the lack of room and long distance drivability is holding me back.

Ah ha sorry for the confusion. I guess I should have clarified in the last post or 2 what is currently going on. My original plan and really up until a month ago was still my plan was to build up the 84 Pickup as a primitive expo wheeling truck that I could drive to the beach, mountains etc. I really never intended to throw lockers and gears in it just because I never saw the real need with it being an "expo" vehicle, more of just a luxury. However I recently heard back from an internship I had applied for in Arizona and it seems I have a new job out there this Summer. The initial build was to take the pickup on a cross country trip with a fellow wheeler after graduating, but he kinda flaked out and seeing as a cross country trip is ramping up sooner than I had expected I decided to swap vehicles for the trip. A few reasons for this is, well the 4runner has more interior space. I can hold more gear inside and out of the elements. It has cruise control, working AC, heat, etc. Its more comfortable and has the v6 5 speed. Not as reliable as the pickup imo but damn comfy. I won't be selling either vehicle and really I still daily drive both vehicles. Basically from here till Summer most of my available funds will be tossed towards the 4runner since that is what I plan on taking out there. I do plan on hitting moab while out there in Utah and then taking a weekend off to hit the Vegas strip. Don't really have any other immediate plans as of now but ill update as the date starts getting closer.

Anyhow enough ranting, I finished up the bumper enough to my liking for now. I still plan on finishing up the ends and adding a "slider" into it that will brace against the frame where the plstic cladding is. I will update more as I figure out what to do for that. I also printed off a ton of stickers today to replace the rear windshield ones since my tire now blocks it, aswell as some new TRD Bedsides. I will post those up tomorrow after I apply them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles