Sam's 84 Expo Build

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Love the roof racks you have built! What mount are you using to attach them at the gutter?

Sorry for the late reply. Ive been super busy with school and since moving to an apartment all my mods have kinda been on standstill. The gutter mounts are homemade though. I used some 1/8in metal and used a brake at work to bend them. I will have some new updates soon though as there were some mods done not too long ago that never made it to the thread.

mtnkid85

Adventurer
I like the simple tube work you've done on the bumpers. Looks good. Did you start with someones winch plate for the front bumper?

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Been a really long time since I showed up around these parts. I decided to start building my pickup truck again. So I picked up a dual fuel kit for it recently. The kit is a got propane dual fuel kit. So I can run either gasoline or propane. I also have a painless dual battery system going int he pickup soon. Worked on the truck a bit tonight and ran into my first major snag. The intake seems to be sitting a tab bit too tall and the hood wont close. Im going to attempt to remove some of the ribbing in the hood since thats what its hitting on. If that doesnt work i may have to resort to cutting the hood or doing a 1inch bodylift.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Finally got the propane kit mounted in the truck. Mounted the vaporizer behind the drivers front headlight light with a bracket I made. I routed all the lines and test fired the engine on propane. Truck seems to runs great. Also ended up putting a hole in the hood and a small vent to clear the intake. Now I just need to finish wiring and mount the tank in the bed down.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Brown santa showed up at my house today. Got some goodies from trail gear for the pickup. Still waiting for some more parts. But I got a front top truss, shock hoops, and frame reinforcment plates. Also had a GM alternator bracket that ill be installing for dual batteries.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Some updates: Had a bit of frame rust on the passenger side. It was actually pretty bad, but I replated the whole passenger side and finished the Chevy 63 swap. Also got the truck pulled into the garage after the swap, and pulled the front axle for a rebuild and diff swap. Decided to pull the front locker and stick it in the rear. Then I pulled the ARB from the 4runner and am going to stick it in the front of the pickup.*

​​​​​​​

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Got the front axle housing apart and prepped it today. Cut the old Dogbone mount, stabilizer, and sway bar mounts off. Trussed the axle and gusseted it in a few areas. Got it painted and prepped to accept the ARB Air Locker.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Brown santa delivered more goodies. I got my new 10k superwinch. I installed it on the winch plate and made a quick front bumper. Still need to add a hoop and braces. Also mounted my bilstein shocks.

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Starting to get into more expedition type gear now. Mounted my aircompressor last night, ran all the wiring for the compressor and locker switch, and tested the solenoids. Still waiting for a couple fittings to finalize the compressor and tidy up the wiring. Probably going to make a new switch plate for the gauge and toggle that will go in the change holder (left open pocket in picture.) The tank itself is a 4gal tank which will be running at 150psi/110psi. Compressor auto kicks on at 110 and shuts off at 150.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Something so cool about that generation! Small, simple, straight to the point. Nice work so far!

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Something so cool about that generation! Small, simple, straight to the point. Nice work so far!

Thanks, I love these old toyotas. Simple and easy to build. I would like to eventually move to a larger truck, but this has been great thus far.

Finished up a few more items and got a test run in with Carolina Trailblazers. I got part my sliders made and welded on the truck. Mounted my top light bar that I had for ages. Finished up the compressor and mounted my highlift in the bed. As far as the test run went, I found out I need a new front driveshaft lol. My driveshaft was too short and I lost 4wd on the first trail. So theres that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles