"Long Outback Trip" XJ Mods

kylemackechnie

Hey expo forum
Im building an XJ and am going to be going around Australia for about 4 months and 15000km, about 4000 will be self sufficient outback travel.
Going with a mate who will be riding shotgun and need your input as to what mods.
I have a few criteria that it needs to meet but other than that... have at it ;)

Criteria:
Must expand on current Old Man Emu 2.5" HD Lift (thinking JKS ACOS spacers, shackle reloc. bracket and shackles)
Must have spare tire carrier on rear
Must have roof rack for camping gear
Must be able to carry at least 100L of petrol spare
Must be able to travel atleast 1000km between petrol stations
Must be capable offroad (thinking total 5" lift and 33's)
Must be comfortable for 2 people for 4 months

Also feel free to post your own queries aswell
Thanks guys

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Congrats on what sounds like a great trip to come.

If you are going to 5" you will need some drivetrain modifications, such as an SYE. You can run 33x10.50 on 3" with some trimming of the fenders. Worked well for me.

013.JPG

You should also identify which rear axle you have and consider beefing up as needed. People bash the d35 regularly, but I think it depends on your driving style and the weight of your jeep. Sounds like your jeep might be a bit heavy by the time you are fully loaded for your trip, so I think this is worth investigating.

I would consider with a locker of some variety in the rear. What variety is an endless discussion, but to me depends on your ability to do the work yourself and your budget.

I would also consider recovery gear high up on the list. A dependable winch, properly mounted, straps perhaps an achor point for when there are no trees and a hi lift.

A few other things might be a steering upgrade, uniframe reinforcement, steering box reinforcement, skid plates for xfer case, differentials and gas tank.

Looking forward to you keeping us posted.

John

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Make sure your cooling system is up to par. Maybe run dual electric fans and get rid of the mechanical clutch fan.
Maybe add an extra tranny cooler if you don't already have one. More fluid is always better.
You can use a ZJ gas tank skid for your XJ.
Remember all this extra armor increases your overall weight, decreasing performance and fuel mileage.
Power invertor, solar panel(s). Deep cycle battery such as an Optima Yellowtop.
Complete fluid changes. Recharge your A/C.
Water filtration system. First aid kit. Fire extinguisher.
Mattrax, exhaust air jack, shovels, OBA.
33" KM2's are awesome all around tire.

88Xj

Banned
3" and 31-33's will be more than enough..don't think more lift, think about a locker:)
Lockers will help more than another 2" of lift.

kylemackechnie

thanks for the info, forgot to mention i have a d30 and c8.25
also going to put an SYE kit and bushwacker flares (not the flat ones) on it
and a tigerz 11 12000lb winch which seems to be pretty proven here in oz despite only being $800 with synthetic rope
also thinking of fabbing up my own skid system that is connected to some rock rails for strength
and also going to get rough country dual steering stabilizer, bill stein 5100 shocks and maybe some air bump stops

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
search for SteveF on this board. He does a lot of travelling in a late-model cherry with a ton of tasteful mods done for long-range travel.

mekcanix

Camper
Subscribed. I am with the others on the lift and lockers, shorter lift and trimming. I am running about 3.5 to 4 inches of lift and 33's with plenty of room, I have fit 35's but prefer the 33's. I am not truly aware of the terrain or obstacles you may face but plating the "unitized" box sections of sub frame would be a good idea if you may be sliding across rocks and such and rock rails as well as the rockers are made of tin foil.

kylemackechnie

Thanks for the subscription :)
As I said, most of the travel will be on the black top but it still has to be a very reliable and capable jeep.

mudbutt

Explorer
Traction mats???

Also, depending on the year of your Jeep, be sure and add a crank position sensor to your spare parts box.

Topgun514

Adventurer
Upgrade steering, do not spend time or money on a dual steering stabilizer.

Do GC V8 tie rod for added strength on the cheaps. Have a bumper tie into the steering box. Upgrade to a longer and stronger track bar if you'd like as well.

mekcanix

Camper
Ya know I run the V8 GC link the only problem i have found is that it is sometime not in stock in some of the out of the way places. I am going to run a upgraded drag link just so I can have easier access to the tierod ends. Just in case i wreck it ( I am hard on steering, wheeling by braille i think) :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94