Lifted MKV Golf

psykokid

Explorer
the wheels are the stock 15 inch steel wheels that came on the car from the factory. I am not running the hubcaps. the bolt pattern is 5X114. if that is the same as the wagon then they might fit. but I'm not sure.

5X112 is the bolt pattern for for the later MKV+ as well as 90% of the Passat/Audi from 98+. Not sure of the bolt pattern on the Subies but IIRC a freind was running 5x100 MK1 Audi TT fat Five's on his Blobeye WRX.

Jakes01234

Explorer
You just made that golf awesome.
I would like to see some pictures of it off pavement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
5X112 is the bolt pattern for for the later MKV+ as well as 90% of the Passat/Audi from 98+. Not sure of the bolt pattern on the Subies but IIRC a freind was running 5x100 MK1 Audi TT fat Five's on his Blobeye WRX.

I think you are right. I wasn't positive if the bolt pattern was 5 on 112 or 5 on 114. thanks for the clarification.

hugodufour

I used H&R Tiguan 1 1/2 inch lift springs all around on the stock front struts and 2 inch longer procomp rear shocks.

Really nice! Could you post a link or number/model of the pro comp rear shocks? Might go down that way eventually! Thanks.

Last edited:

Isgro

Really nice! Could you post a link or number/model of the pro comp rear shocks? Might go down that way eventually! Thanks.

I got ahold of him through email. The shocks are Pro Comp ES3000 shocks, part # 326515.

I've got the Tiguan lift springs sitting at home waiting to go into my car. Hopefully I'll find some time in the next few weeks. :smiley_drive:

hugodufour

I got ahold of him through email. The shocks are Pro Comp ES3000 shocks, part # 326515.

I've got the Tiguan lift springs sitting at home waiting to go into my car. Hopefully I'll find some time in the next few weeks. :smiley_drive:

Awesome! Post pictures when done.

Thanks for the info about the shocks. Do you know if the stock VW upper bracket of the shocks have to be modified?

Isgro

He didn't mention anything about needed to adapt anything, so I'm guessing it should be fine. I'm not sure if you've ever had yours out before, but the setup is pretty straight forward, so I wouldn't be surprised if they bolt right up. I'll be sure to report back once I get my car sorted.

hugodufour

He didn't mention anything about needed to adapt anything, so I'm guessing it should be fine. I'm not sure if you've ever had yours out before, but the setup is pretty straight forward, so I wouldn't be surprised if they bolt right up. I'll be sure to report back once I get my car sorted.

I was comparing mkv rear shock to the given pro comp model:

Pro comp: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kit...er.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=EXP326515
Bilstein HD: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--2.5/Suspension/Shocks/ES11382/

Maybe the picture of the pro comp isn't right, but at first glance, it doesn't look like the ring at the top of the pro comp would work out of the box on our mkV.

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
I was comparing mkv rear shock to the given pro comp model:

Pro comp: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kit...er.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=EXP326515
Bilstein HD: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--2.5/Suspension/Shocks/ES11382/

Maybe the picture of the pro comp isn't right, but at first glance, it doesn't look like the ring at the top of the pro comp would work out of the box on our mkV.

the pro-comp shocks work. use the part number I used in this application. from what I remember doing the swap, I used the factory VW upper shock mount and combined just one of the supplied bushings from the new shock hardware.
the metal washer is used and one of the upper shock bushings, then install the factory upper shock mount on top of that and tighten.

I did have to use a metal sleeve in the lower shock mount as the diameter of the factory lower shock mounting bolt is smaller diameter. please remember to add thread locking compound to the lower shock bolt as I did not an It fell out. so far 2,000 miles of use without issues (other than loosing a lower shock bolt)

it should be noted that I feel that I will be upgrading to the Bilstein HD front struts as soon as funds allow. for my use I think that they might better control the lift springs in off road use. the factory struts work well enough in compression but not so much in rebound. the rear pro-comp shock work very well but I think I will be adding a rear spring spacer from a 3/4 inch jeep coil spring lift kit. (daystar 07-10 wrangler JK 2&4wd 3/4 inch budget boost kit # KJ09138BK) I picked up on amazon. I just got the kit and have not installed it yet. I think the rear needs a bit of a boost as I load the back of my Rabbit. unloaded it sits great. but it tends to squat a bit when loaded.

Last edited:

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
the procomp shock you posted has the wrong upper mount. the part number I used has a different upper mount and will work.

look at the bilstein rear shock you posted. it has the correct upper mount style. it is a post, not an round. the picture in the 4wd add is wrong. the part number I used is correct but the picture on the website is wrong.

Last edited:

hugodufour

the procomp shock you posted has the wrong upper mount. the part number I used has a different upper mount and will work.

look at the bilstein rear shock you posted. it has the correct upper mount style. it is a post, not an round. the picture in the 4wd add is wrong. the part number I used is correct but the picture on the website is wrong.

Thanks for the detailed information. I was planning on possibly going with Bilstein HD on all four corners, but if the procomp install is relatively straightforward, I supposed the longer shock is best suited. Was also going to use those spacers for the rear: http://www.extremeterrain.com/rough-country-075-leveling-kit-tj-7596.html.

mldouthi

I so need to do this to my sportwagen. Can you get the allignment right with the tig lift springs?

I was even able to keep in factory alignment... just barely with the tig spring and 1in spacers.

Where could I find some steelie rims like that for my impreza wagon?? Love the golf, whenever I let go of the wagon, a golf is on the list.

I would like to find some rims and stuff like that for my impreza wagon to put winter tires on.

If you are talking about the steelies on the grey rabbit... Ill sell you a set. If you are talking about the ones on my car, they are cragar soft 8s (redrilled)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles