Do or do not??? 238K 98 with rear locker maintained...

Old#7

Observer
Ok guys I have the chance to purchase a 1998 with he rear locker, bone sock, new paint job because of faded paint and his daughter backed into the rear driver side door.
It has 238000 miles, the timing belt and main service was done at a dealership at 180K miles. Regular maintenance has been done.

I can get it for $7300-$7500. Original asking price was $8250. (Top of my budget)
I am going to be moving up from my 80 series.
The bad:
Needs tires, shocks,front brakes and alignment to pass safety inspection. Got a quote from Les Schwab (just as ammo for negotiation) of $1800.
I can do the work my self and I can get the parts myself for cheaper too. I can find some used tires for around 250-300 bucks.
CV boot on one side is leaking, I can fix that with pfran's clamps.
Would you jump on it? Miles too high? Anything else to be worried about?
Also, it had condensation on the inside of the sunroof, it had snow sitting on top though. Is this normal?

Thanks

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Meh, I'd pass... you'll be into it for more than $10,000 by the time your done. And that's before you do any mods (if that is the plan)

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
You're going to spend almost $10K on a vehicle with how much useful life left? Sure, it may go to 300K without a hitch. But what are the odds of that? It my have lived an honorable life and go tits up at 250K and you're into it 10K. It may be a great vehicle that you love, but 2 or 3 years from now it may be a lost cause. It doesn't sound particularly well maintained either given that it needs some basics right off the bat. I know I'd definitely pass.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
If it was me I would pass, try to save up in the $10-12k range and find one with less miles.

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
It will go another 100k miles easily, but you are going to start replacing items. Most likely front lower ball joints, starter contacts at some point, suspension parts and hoses due to age, rear axle seals and. Donor motors are relatively cheap since you can get it from different sources (4Runner, Tundra, etc). Price is a little high. It would be a lot of truck at $6k. If you are a DIY, probably a good buy if you can get the price down a little. If you are not a DIY'er get one with less miles.

100's has proven to be very reliable and not so expensive to maintain. Big ticket every 100k miles, but then regular fluids in between.

Old#7

Observer
So I got them down to $7K. I am a DIY and love to wrench. Hopefully it will last me another 200K miles!!!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Awesome. Put some time and money into the maintenance and repairs, and at least you know what you've got! Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles