JKU VS Tacoma

jktowhere

Observer
Hey guys!

So, would you pick a 12 JKU Rubicon or a 4 Door Tacoma. I am so torn on this and have a lot to learn on the Tacoma side, but the goal is a expedition build to travel around South America, the US, Canada..... I can pull the trigger on ether. The Jeep has so quality issues that scare me off, but the Tacoma with a RTT Rack over bed seems like it would offer more options. Snow driving is a big issue. Just my wife and I and two 70lbs dogs. I know I am about to get a ton of toyota responses, but I am curious why you would say Tacoma over the Jeep and what years or options?

mkitchen

Explorer
Tough choice

I had the same dilemma in 06 when I bought my Tacoma. I was looking at both the Rubi Unlimited and the Taco 4 door. My goals were extended travel both on and off road. The Unlimited back then had only two doors but my decision would be the same now. I believe that the JK is a better off road vehicle but I didn't think that I would be as comfortable in it as I would be in the Taco. I was also not too impressed with some of the parts on the JK. Small things like the very thin plastic vent covers for the defrosters and other body parts. I realize that these are non essential items but if they are cheaply built then how are the other items on the vehicle?
There is also the issue of carrying capacity. I lean more towards the turtle than the hare. I carry my house with me, meaning that I have a lot of stuff that comes with me. Travelling for me is not just in the vehicle but at the camp as well and I like to have the things that make me feel at home, so to speak. I also tend to spend more that just a few hours at a location and that too makes the camp being comfortable, a significant issue. I did get the E-lock rear dif and am very happy with the ability of the vehicle with that and an OME lift and ARB bumper/winch.
I also carry dogs and they seem to run the house and they like to have windows that go up and down and where they can stick their heads out and take a sniff. With the back seat down, they are very comfortable in the Taco and we don't go places without them.
Either choice, I would recommend the RTT. they are the greatest. Good luck on your decision.
Mikey

wingysataday

Adventurer
I just love everything about my Taco. It is very rugged and has great power. I have not ridden in the JK but I here there is something to be desired in the power dept. Everything about the tacoma is so well thought out and beefy. It also pulls a trailer well. The only bad with the Taco is the brakes are a bit weak. I just would never get anything else.

toymaster

Explorer
I know I am about to get a ton of toyota responses, but I am curious why you would say Tacoma over the Jeep and what years or options?

Yep, you posted in the TOYOTA section. :rolleyes:

For what it is worth, the JKU can be a better off-road vic if you put the money into it to get more ground clearance. With the pentstar motor jeep gave us 40% more power so, power is no longer an issue to most customers even in an auto. The problems is carry capacity or in this case just the cargo area. For extended trip of 4 souls (personally I'd give you more for some dogs than some people) you need gear. The options for the jk are roof rack or trailer. The roof rack is adding more squareness to an already moving brick. Trailers can get expensive but are way cool!

If you have the tacoma you basically have the bed, instead of a trailer, to haul all of your gear. The "downside" of this is that all of your gear is with you all of the time even on trails. On the other hand, with a trailer you can set-up camp and then go exploring in a better more agile trail vehicle. Also, there is something to be said for an enclosed weatherproof trailer versus an open bed. My military/chaser style trailer with a lid affords security that my softtop jeep cannot.

The choice should be made by what type of driving/terrian you want to do. If it is more highway and fire roads then I would say the Tacoma hands-down. It is hard to beat a truck for utility purposes. If you like more aggressive trails and remote spots then the Jeep would be my choice.

J

JWP58

The only reason I would buy a chrysler/dodge/jeep product is for an engine that they dont even make, a Cummins. Since Jeeps dont have a Cummins in it, Id go with the Tacoma.

I once owned a dodge. Never again. My two Tacomas have been much better quality, both fit and finish wise and mechanically wise. Not one problem. My 2001 Tacoma had 175k when I sold it. I performed nothing but regular maintenance on it. I dont know if Jeep has the same rep as Dodge, but I personally wouldnt buy one. Plus I couldnt bring myself to pay 30k for a JEEP lol.

Pickups are more versatile. Want enclosed cargo space? Buy a topper. Want to pull a trailer? Pull one. Will it be a good rock crawler? Nope. But I doubt most "expiditioners" rock crawl their rigs.

Toyota quality wins for me. Your needs/expectations should decide what you purchase.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
Funny you should post this question, this past weekend, my friend has a brand new '12 JK (non rubi), and i have to say it has impressive on-road performance, handling, location of the controls, the look, how the seats supported me (front and rear seats), etc.
If this was around during 2000, when I bought my '01 Taco DC, it would have been a coin toss as to which I would have bought.
The pluses for the JK, is that there are TONS of aftermarket support for the JK - - 100times more than the Taco.
The JK also holds it's resale value - best out of all Jeeps.... is it the same as a Tacoma... I would think it be even.

From what my friend told me that the JK engine changed this year, actually went to a smaller engine, but power/torque went up.
But the torque curve is more towards what a car would have, than a truck... you have to get higher on the power band to get the torque.
But with either my Taco or the JK, you can design the truck to do either rock crawling or expo.

With the JK, there was quite a bit of space behind the 2nd row seats... but not the same as a truck.
It all depends on what you have plan for your vehicle, how long you plan to have it, will you have kids (other than your dogs), haul junk, remodel your home, etc.

Now the bad... for both.
My Taco generation has the frame rust issue and no front solid axle.
Quality control for the Jeep is not the same par as a Tacoma or consistent and everyone has one.

If I was in the market for a new rig and for what I do... I would get the JK Rubi and a utility trailer to haul junk. :)
Yep I said that... I feel that the newer Tacomas are getting too large and wide.
My 01 Taco, at least for me, is the right size for everything.

Have fun on choosing your new ride.

Scott Brady

Founder
Hey guys!

So, would you pick a 12 JKU Rubicon or a 4 Door Tacoma.

They are both best of breed trucks. I have owned and used them both extensively. Go test drive them and pick the one you like better. The Rubicon will be superior in technical terrain, while the Tacoma will be better with a load and will haul more gear.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
^ What he said. Like so many others, we went through the same process considering the two trucks. But this is really an apple and oranges kind of situation. I ended up choosing the 2nd Gen Tacoma because I tend to use my vehicle for lots of hauling (carrying and towing) in addition to exploration. In both cases, the Tacoma out performs the Jeep.

toymaster

Explorer
.......The choice should be made by what type of driving/terrian you want to do. If it is more highway and fire roads then I would say the Tacoma hands-down. It is hard to beat a truck for utility purposes. If you like more aggressive trails and remote spots then the Jeep would be my choice.

I'd like to add to my first response. The answer/advice given was purely of the practical nature. Now being a practical and pragmatic person 99% of the time one cannot discount the advice given. However, there is an emotional side. I have a list of very capable vics in my stable. Even at their age they are extremely reliable and being expertly maintained are very capable overlanding machines. Most of the last seven years they have sat at my home in wyoming while I have been off around the world with my career meaning their age does not reflect the amount of actual use. Also, all of my equipment can be place on any of my platforms. Out of all of them the most impractical one to take on a long journey is my 2 dr JK BUT, it is the first on my list of preferences.

A jeep is a different kind of vic. With the top off it is the closest thing you are going to get to the feel of a motorcycle, that is being a part of the environment and not merely a spectator trapped in a can. I drive it because then I will have it where the road I have taken ends; this is where the true enjoyment happens. Driving my Jeep is pure joy and brings a smile to my face not because of its highway handling characteristics it is something more which I lack the words to describe.

There are others that share similar feelings. This is why there is the saying "it’s a jeep thing" some get it and some do not. Nothing wrong either way a person may feel. Perhaps this should be factored into your decision. :coffee:

VATACO

Adventurer
I've owned jeeps, xterras, and tacomas.

All built rigs and out of them the only one I would consider buying again would be the tacoma.

4runner and tacoma till I die

codename607

Adventurer
I just trade my 09 Unlimited Rubicon for a FJ. I know its not a taco but the main thing is why I traded. And that was the reliablilty of the Jeep was not good. I only had 50k on mine and it burned oil like crazy and the transmission started giving me issues as well as the emergency break and a couple other small things. Jeeps are the best offroad, even in stock form IMO but the reliability of the toyotas can't be passed.

If you plan on keeping the jeep for more than 40k miles or if your plan on mods dont get it. They start to break after 40k and the dealership wont fix it under warranty if you have mods.

Another thing you can do just go look at the JK forms. You will see people asking question about how to fix this and that all the time. Even on brand new Jeeps. Not trying to give them a bad rep just making actual facts.

Just my 2cents. Good luck!

Containerized

Adventurer
For going overseas, it's a no-brainer. I guess a Jeep is fine if you're just going around Colorado and New Mexico or whatever. But overseas it's EASY to get basically any Toyota part you need.

Finding any Chrysler or Jeep parts in most of the world is basically impossible. I've seen exactly two JKs in the last three years in East Africa.

HOOLIGAN

The 4x4 Podcast
I bought my JKU new Oct. 2006. It's got almost 70k on it and I've only done routine maintenance on it (well, other than building up my D-30 front axle and putting a 3" lift and 35" tires on it).

If you plan on doing more technical terrain, I'd say the obvious choice is the Rubi. The JKU's are crazy comfortable on the road, but a solid front axle is never going to be as comfortable on dirt roads as a IFS is.

It's true, the quality of the Jeep just isn't on the same scale as the Toyota's. At the bare minimum, I'd replace the stock tie rod and front ball joints with Synergy as soon as I left the dealers lot. Assuming you leave the suspension stock you've solved a good deal of your breakage problems. You do a Rock Krawler 2.5" lift with some 35's and you can go almost anywhere. I wouldn't go bigger than 35 on an overland vehicle just because 35's are easier to find than larger tires.

You mentioned going out of the country. That changes everything. You will find much more support for Toyota than you will Jeep. You are also going to have more cargo space.

So, IMHO, your best choice is ........ Toyota. :Wow1: Holy crap!!! A Jeep guy just said get a Toyota.

VATACO

Adventurer
Jeeps certainly have their place, and are a great offroad toy here in the states and Canada. Outside our borders though Toyota rules the Offroad and Overland markets. If I wanted to run rocks all day everyday I'd go with a JKU, but as an adventurer first, and honestly not a big fan of rock gardens and crawling, Toyota just fits my style of wheeling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles