Hauling A Motorcycle With A Truck Camper

Stumper92

I am sure more than a few people on here do this. I am considering buying a dual sport bike in the early spring. My plan is to use a rack behind the camper to haul the bike, as opposed to using a trailer. It seems this is a better alternative to always taking the Jeep for exploring. I am hoping to do a cross country trip in a year or so and hauling a bike would be more economical, and would allow me to get the TC into places I couldn't if I were hauling a trailer with the Jeep. My question here is, who is doing this, and how do you have your rack set up? The main concerns I have are the stability of a hitch mounted rack system, and access to the camper door with the bike loaded. Any information, suggestions, and of course pictures of your setup would be greatly appreciated.

Stumper

Stumper92

Henry,

The front bumper could be an option. My concerns would be blocking the truck's headlights, and/or the radiator. If someone has successfully carried their bike on the front of their camper, I would like to see their solutions. It would eliminate the issue of blocking the camper door.

18seeds

Explorer
Done it but couldn't access the camper door. Not ideal but better than hauling a trailer for this specific trip.

DSC00512.jpg

DSC00510.jpg

I used lots of tiedowns and it turned out to be more stable than without the camper because i could secure the bike to camper jacks.

camper357

Observer
hitch hauler

I've hauled my dirtbike (320 lbs wet class 3 hitch) behind my camper. It blocked the door so I had to make sure I didn't need anything from the camper in route, otherwise I would have to unload the bike to get in. The carrier also affected departure angles when entering/ exiting parking lots, off road, etc.

The other option would be to run a long enough hitch extension so that you could still get into the camper. The negative would be added stress on your hitch and even worse departure angles.

In my opinion, a small trailer is a lot better option.

Stumper92

18seeds,

Thanks for the pics. My camper has a bumper so my bike would be a bit further back. However, I think I would still have trouble accessing the door.

Hitch hauler,

I have a small trailer, and it may be the best option. I was just hoping for fewer tires on the ground. I agree the rack on the back would limit approach angles.

uriedog

metal melter
When I was a kid we had a really big truck camper mounted on a 1965 Murcury F-100. My dad would put his enduro on the front bumper. We took that thing everywhere. Even down to Florida

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Here are some more sample pictures.

These are pop-up camper, not the hard sided, but they should give you the idea on how others have done it with a camper on the truck.

:)

Attachments

• motorcycle.JPG
    motorcycle.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 600
  • motorcycle 44.jpg
    motorcycle 44.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 562
  • motorcycle on hitch rack 5.jpg
    motorcycle on hitch rack 5.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 3,850
  • Motorcycle in tow.jpg
    Motorcycle in tow.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 598
  • Trailer behind camper.JPG
    Trailer behind camper.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 597

BillTex

Adventurer
I would go for the front rack. The TC will put most of the weight on the rear axle...may even unload the front axle. The added weight in front may improve handling. This also retains access to the camper.
I dont haul a moto up front, but I do haul up to 4 Mt bikes and/or skis.
I have had NO problem with heat or lights and have run 72 hrs straight in temps over 100 deg F.

There are racks made for this purpose and plenty of TC'ers haul up front.
IMO...it is much more practical than trying to haul in the rear.

Good luck,
B

Stumper92

Stan
Thanks for the pictures. They are definitely food for thought.

BillTex
I am beginning to think you are right. Although I have weighed my setup, and my camper is very well balanced on the truck and only puts about 100lbs on the front axle. I will take some measurements to see how much a bike might impede my headlights.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
What would be nice is a rear rack that could swing out from one side! Seems you could lock a channel into place, release it and swing it to one side, pull out a ramp and unload or load.:bike_rider:

BillTex

Adventurer
BillTex
I am beginning to think you are right. Although I have weighed my setup, and my camper is very well balanced on the truck and only puts about 100lbs on the front axle. I will take some measurements to see how much a bike might impede my headlights.

I have driving lights down low...this helps...I really have not had any issues with the front rack.
It is so convenient we even carry our bikes up front when the truck bed is empty...it's just easy...

B

daveyboy

Adventurer
When I was a kid we had a really big truck camper mounted on a 1965 Murcury F-100. My dad would put his enduro on the front bumper. We took that thing everywhere. Even down to Florida

My childhood was similar.

My grandpa had a Powerwagon with a Chinook truck camper. He had two "hoops" that hooked to the front bumper and carried a Kawasaki G4TR enduro.

I actually still have the bike and the hoops and used it for awhile on the front of my Bronco.

Funny how the stock bumper was strong enough. I wouldn't trust a bicycle on the front of a modern OEM bumper... .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles