Hauling A Motorcycle With A Truck Camper

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
certainly purpose built :)

Pretty cool.

Here is a shot of ours with the rack lowered and bike off-loaded.

Even with the bike stowed way off the ground, it is a simple one person operation to load and unload the bike.

15181666_1850900748488939_3948700364250452365_n.jpg

monkeytrick

Just did three weeks in southern Baja with a DRZ400 mounted on a front rack with a Joe Hauler Cam Lock system. I cannot recommend the Joe Hauler Cam Lock more highly- it's a great design. Tighten up the nut on the front of the hauler and there's very, very little wobble. I even drove 24 dirt road miles from Gonzaga Bay past Coco's Corner to Laguna Chapalla on some bad washboard and nothing was broken or bent. It's a great system. My truck is a 4x4 Tundra and I bolted a front receiver on very easily- the truck never came close to overheating. I would not want to drive with it at night though- there is a small amount of reflected light off the front of the bike from the truck's headlights. It would be do-able for a few miles but it's not something that would be fun. Oh yeah, truck drove on sand with bike on front mount very easily- I could drive across loose sand beaches without a problem.

View attachment 324016

Is that a Callen Camper?

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Just be aware that that extension requires a 2.5" X 2.5" hitch on your vehicle to start with. Not 2 X 2!

Northern tools sells a 48" long 2" X 2" OD extension tube. Meant for trailer builders! But you have to weld on the solid bar part that goes into your hitch.
More than enough for a 340 lb Motorcycle. About 500 lbs capacity.

Kali

I mounted the bike with the 48" extension and there is a little flex coming from the hitch more than I am comfortable with. Has anyone reinforced their hitch or maybe an upgrade to a commercial duty hitch would be a better option? The truck is a dually with the factory 2.5' hitch installed. Another option would be mounting it on the front hitch.

Attachments

• IMG_20180329_204322.jpg
    IMG_20180329_204322.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Kali

I took my smaller bike out for the first time a few days ago, I much prefer to take my bigger bikes with me and prefer not to tow them. I pulled this off another forum, he replaced his tow hooks with bolt on hook receivers and custom made a carrier. I already have the center hitch mount and I think adding two receivers and customizing my rack should give it plenty of support. These trucks are made for heavy snow plows so a 530 lb bike plus rack shouldnt be an issue. Still need to do a bit more research. Those receivers are on ebay for about $40 each.

In addition, I contacted Torklift to see if I can run this 530lb bike setup with their 48" extension setup on the rear of my camper and they said it should not be an issue.

Attachments

• ZIJeKRHl.jpg
    ZIJeKRHl.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 213
  • o2rdVOTl.jpg
    o2rdVOTl.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 207

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I mounted the bike with the 48" extension and there is a little flex coming from the hitch more than I am comfortable with. Has anyone reinforced their hitch or maybe an upgrade to a commercial duty hitch would be a better option? The truck is a dually with the factory 2.5' hitch installed. Another option would be mounting it on the front hitch.

I used that exact setup with a non folding carrier on my Ram 3500 for thousands of miles with my Lance and it worked perfectly. I was able to use the 41" hole with my setup. I carried a WR250R on mine. Worked perfectly except for being extremely tight against the camper. I was able to squeeze through to make a sandwich but I have a 32" waist.

Steve Fleming

I took my smaller bike out for the first time a few days ago, I much prefer to take my bigger bikes with me and prefer not to tow them. I pulled this off another forum, he replaced his tow hooks with bolt on hook receivers and custom made a carrier. I already have the center hitch mount and I think adding two receivers and customizing my rack should give it plenty of support. These trucks are made for heavy snow plows so a 530 lb bike plus rack shouldnt be an issue. Still need to do a bit more research. Those receivers are on ebay for about $40 each.

In addition, I contacted Torklift to see if I can run this 530lb bike setup with their 48" extension setup on the rear of my camper and they said it should not be an issue.
what about the headlights dot did not like my set up also covered the headlights

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke