Eco-Roamer - F650 based Expedition Vehicle

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Roll your own!

The roll up door is brilliant. Does it allow you to close off the area when the poptop is down, preventing items stored up there from falling? Access to the roof also has to be a great advantage when you need to clean the solar panels.

3804011368_0a90bf0c2f.jpg

Hi Travelmore,

Sorry for the VERY late reply to your question...

The roll up door is one of my very favorite design elements of the truck. We thought about it for months and months, trying to find a good solution and then one night around 4 in the morning this came to me. It's so cool to actually see it in action and working now.

It allows us to put the pop-top up or down without ever being exposed to the outside elements.

As you can see in the above picture, the door can be released to provide access the roof / solar panels. As you can see here:

4177546461_6e248588ba.jpg

The post in the middle was for our massive Burning Man mobile (didn't work!) but makes use of standard anchor points that I've built in to the roof for: wind turbines, sculptures, camera rigs, helipads, etc...)

To answer your question though: NO - the door does not close off the kids area when it is down. While I agree with you that it would have kept things from falling out, we wanted the kids to be able to go/sleep up there without putting the top up, if they had to.

What's not working:
- The door track needs more lubrication grease or some nylon, to make it slide up/down easier. (easy to fix)

- The door needs some better weather sealant to keep the draft out. (we just ran out of time to install this, but still will)

Thanks again!
Jay.

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Lexan

Have you considered armoring the solar cells with Lexan?

How about Lexan windows for that matter?

Hi Winkomosis,

The windows are already double pane acrylic. It's nice because it keeps them from shattering, but we took the truck out to the Michigan U.P. (great trip!) at the end of August 2008, before installing the window shutters and the acrylic got all scratched up.

They are great windows though, and Art at Dometic has been amazing to work with. VERY helpful. You can find them here.

Now... Lexan for the solar panels is an interesting idea. My current plan has been to put 3 Aluminum 'rub rails' down the length of the roof, but Lexan over the individual panels is something I had never thought of. Thanks!

Jay.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
impressive build. still confused by the whole "green" concept. i still think Global Warming is a Farce. i can't even imagine how much $$ you have in it.

congrats on being self sufficient.:snorkel:

Glides

I just got done with this thread at work. Incredibly amazing thing you have built and what you do with your foundation.

You...are a superhero man. Many lovely days shall you have in your future.

ThomD

Explorer
Similarly, the fresh water fill valve...
3820956951_b96c5c0ddf.jpg

(that's: TAP/LAKE water IN on the left, FILTERED water OUT on the right)

Thanks for sharing all this Jay.

If I may make one, humble, suggestion, you might consider painting those handles different colors and putting some instructions on the inside of that door.

JRhetts

Adventurer
WOW!! What a build, and what perseverance to figure out and to out-think so many criteria and obstacles!!

I first read part of this thread in 2007, but have been traveling so much I lost track. So I sat down and read all 37 pages this afternoon: what an adventure - for me as well as you, Jay.

Thanks!!

John

bftank

Explorer
good read, sorry to hear about the wheels. if still looking into wheels you might try talking to stazworks about some custom wheels. from what i have researched they seem to be a standup company that pressure tests all their wheels/beadlocks.

i appreciate the detail of your build!

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Stuck!

Delta airlines canceled our flight to San Francisco on Sunday, despite the beautiful blue skies...

As a demonstration of their "commitment to the satisfaction of their valued customers" they offered to waive the $100 fee for re-booking on another date. So &%$#'ing generous!

Anyhow, we're not in the truck yet, but will (hopefully) actually be boarding a plane tomorrow morning (Xmas eve). Can't wait to get there and head out. Looking forward to meeting many of you along the way.

Our route is plotted out on a Google Map on my blog at:
www.EcoRoamer.com/jays-blog

Happy Holidays Everyone.
Thanks for another great ExPo year!

Cheers!
Jay.

dzzz

Since your heading down the coast (101)...

Please feel free to stop by!

You are welcome to use myself & my shop if you have any small repairs.

Just check your truck roof when leaving Joaquin's to be sure a car hasn't been welded to the top. Most people don't notice until arriving home.

JRhetts

Adventurer
Jay

I sent you this as an email on Dec 15, but realize that it may not have gotten thru to you and/or you may have been too busy to reply. But I wanted to try again:

I started reading your ExPoForum thread in 2007, but then we got caught up in traveling - overlanding through the US and all of Cent Am, and volunteer medical work in Africa, Guyana, and Guatemala.

But now the parking brake is set for a few months while we outfit a new vehicle. We have a 2007 Mitsubishi FusoFM with a 17' house on the back, and are completely redoing the interior (cabinets, electrical and both heating and water plumbing.)

For the last 5 years we have used Thetford cassette toilets, and we have been very pleased with their function. But, for a variety of reasons, we have become interested in the composing toilet option, particularly the AirHead and the NaturesHead units, which as far as I can tell are at least first cousins if not siblings. Have you used yours enough yet to have a good idea of how well it works? capacity? aesthetic issues (smell and mess when dumping)? overall user friendly-ness?

In your Burning Man posts, you indicated that your new cabinets did not fare well. What was it? How has the Plyboo bamboo turned out? Are the Richlite counter tops satisfactory?

Did you go with the WorldPanel flooring? How is it?

I have looked at your external window covers, but some of the detail escapes me. How did you secure them in the 'up' position? Do the lock for security, or only latch for protection in brush/trees? If you don't secure them up, do they rattle against the side of the house when driving? Could I get or find a more detailed photo of these covers? What gauge AL did you use?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share.

Best, John

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I just had the opportunity to meet the Eco' family (Jay, Alice, Kurt & Maya) sitting outside a Jamba Juice in Scottsdale.

I walk out the establishment and this guy says "Is that you're Troopy?" Anyone who can identify an Oz-spec Toyota FJ45 and say Troopy speaks volumes.

Long story short, my son and I got to tour their vehicle and meet everyone. The pleasure was all ours.

Look forward to tracing their travels.

dentedvw

Wire twister
I hope someday I get to check out your awesome vehicle, but I have a feeling that you won't be swinging through Michigan! :elkgrin:
Have a fantastic time, you have done a great job. :drool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne