Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Eco-Roamer - F650 based Expedition Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Robthebrit
    Great choice of truck, I'm keen to see how it performs when its built. The CAT engine is a beast.

Charlie:

Do XZL's have a higher load than MTP81s? Don't you run them?

From my sidewalls:

335/80r20 XZL 4670 at 55psi (9340 per axle).
    335/80r20 MPT81 6720 at 90psi (13440 per axle)
    365/80r20 MPT81 8760 at 85psi (17520 per axle)

The equivalent size MPT81 has 50% more load, albeit at a higher pressure. I don't have a set of 365 XZLs to compare to the MPT81's. I personally prefer MPT81's as they run silent and dead straight, XZL's can be hard to balance and a 200+ pound tire shakes the whole truck when it wobbles (use beads or something made a huge difference for me). XZLs have one huge advantage in that they can run with or without tubes and are good in mud where MPT81's are not so good.

It's hard to pick, they are both great tires. Sticking with 22.5 inch semi type rims is a good call, you can get tires all over the world in one form or another. 20 inch tires (mog tires) can be very difficult to get.

Rob
    Rob, I didn't know 365/80R20 MPT81s went that high. I thought they just went to 152K. But I doubt even 17520 in the rear will be enough. My U500 absolutely maxed out ready to travel is 8100kg in the rear or 17800 lb. His camper is roughly 10% longer than mine and he has the crewcab and a half.
    Weight is always the biggest issue!

Charlie
    Unimog U500 with Unicat camper; diesel BMW X5 35d, diesel BJ40 Landcruiser and diesel M37

That is one massive truck. I'm sure I will get some arrows slung at me, but can't help but see how in the world that monster is some how going to be construed as being environmentally friendly is beyond me, even given your use of mostly recycled products for the camper.

There are a few of those around town here. One guy even uses it as a daily driver There is not a speck of dirt or scratch on it. Very dumb in my opinion, but those beasts do serve a purpose. If your on this forum I'm sure your heading in the right direction. That truck will make heads turn, have fun with it.
    Last edited by Streakerfreak; 10-30-2007 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pygmyowl
    That is one massive truck. I'm sure I will get some arrows slung at me, but can't help but see how in the world that monster is some how going to be construed as being environmentally friendly is beyond me, even given your use of mostly recycled products for the camper.

I think it's just a matter of relativity. Compared to other vehicles of that size with those capabilities it's going to be as environmentally friendly as it can be. It's not like they could build this out of a Prius.

That being said......it should be a great build. Good luck!!!
    Last edited by Northern Explorer; 10-30-2007 at 12:45 PM.

On a dirt road, somewhere between where YOU are, and "there".

Default I love ExPo

Hi All,
    Thanks for your many great comments and suggestions. This is why I love ExPo.

Below are some of my responses to your intial suggestions.

We are planning on creating the Eco-Roamer as an 'Open Source Expedition Vehicle' - so I'll be posting up all the components and decisions we've made over the next few months. I'll be happy to have any of your advice / suggestions.

I'd be flattered to bump into another eco-roamer somewhere on the road and know that our notes were of some help to building more great vehicles.

Cheers,
    Jay.
    Jay & Alice (+ Kurt + Maya!) - www.ontheroadlesstravelled.com
    --------
    co-founders of www.themuskokafoundation.org - "Use what you know, to Do Good as you go!"
    --------
    '97 - Landcruiser Diesel Prado - for excursions - Available for loan in Malaysia
    '07 - Ford F-650 - The first EcoRoamer - www.ecoRoamer.com
    '06 - Horizon AT - "rent" it FREE here.

Default Heavy Weight Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by charlieaarons
    Rob, I didn't know 365/80R20 MPT81s went that high. I thought they just went to 152K. But I doubt even 17520 in the rear will be enough. My U500 absolutely maxed out ready to travel is 8100kg in the rear or 17800 lb. His camper is roughly 10% longer than mine and he has the crewcab and a half.
    Weight is always the biggest issue!

Charlie
    Charlie,
    I agree that weight is a heavy issue on this one! (pardon the pun)

We are running the 365 MPT81's in a super single format front / rear. We chose these because of two reasons:
    1) Anybody I spoke to / read - who had run both XZL & MPT81, said that the MPT's run smoother, straighter, quieter.
    2) Michelin's entire 20" XZL stock for the next 12 months has already been booked by the USA Army for Iraq. We tried to scrounge together 5 pieces, but ultimately thought it a bad idea to commit ourselves to a tyre with limited future availability possibly.

No doubt, the tires will be our weakest point.

Here's how the rest breaks down:

TIRES:
    MPT81 tyres = rated at 17520 per axle = 35,040 lbs
    Wheels = upgraded from Alcoas to 2-piece solid disc steel wheels

AXLES:
    Front axle = upgraded to Meritor 14,000 lb drive axle
    Rear axle = upgraded 21,000 lb LSD axle
    Total = 35,000 lbs (I know... it's not split 50/50)

GVWR:
    The truck is technically rated for 26,000 lbs from Ford
    In addition to the axles, we're reinforcing the frame (sleeved)
    Actual capability???

STUFF:
    I'm keeping a spreadsheet with all the crap we're putting in to the vehicle, including furniture, the shell, and liquids. My current calculation puts it at: 19,000 lbs - which is probably wrong. Even if we up that by 33% it's still 25,750 lbs -- so I'm hoping that we should be ok!

No doubt it's going to be a heavy beast though...

Cheers,
    Jay.
    --------
    co-founders of www.themuskokafoundation.org - "Use what you know, to Do Good as you go!"
    --------
    '97 - Landcruiser Diesel Prado - for excursions - Available for loan in Malaysia

Default Hypocritical or Practical?

Pygmyowl,

We struggled with this question a lot too... Is it really possible to be environmentally friendly when you're driving an 11mpg truck around the world?

We looked at hybrid drives for the truck but they are WAY too much money, and too unreliable to take into the middle of nowhere.

Here's the four main reasons why we feel confident that we're doing the right thing:

1) Wherever possible we're using materials that are recycled or at least sustainable. (eg: Bamboo cabinetry and 'plyboo')

2) We are planning to be 'carbon neutral' by offsetting our carbon footprint (for the manufacturing & driving) with credits towards projects like: renewable energy or tree planting, etc. Ford actually has a pretty good partner program with: Terra Pass

3) My wife and I have spent the past 8 years flying around the world for work, racking up about 1 million miles between us. (ugh!) We want our kids to see the world, but a simple calculation shows that actually driving is a better way to do it, environmentally.

A single round trip flight from San Francisco to Singapore on a 747 with 2 adults + 2 kids contributes roughly 50,000 kg of CO2 (just our portion, not to mention the rest of the plane!) - calculation reference

On the other hand, if the four of us drive say 50,000 miles (more than triple the distance of the flight) we still emit less CO2 (about 40,000kg) - and we get to see the whole world along the way...

4) By teaching our kids to enjoy and value the world, and contributing to development/environment projects along the way, and publicizing the possibility of building an "eco-friendly RV" - maybe we can influence some future decisions and innovations.

SO, overall are we still contributing to the polution? - yes I suppose so.

We could just stay home and watch a DVD. But if you are going to go out and explore this amazing planet of ours, then I'd like to think that we're doing it in a pretty friendly way.

...Or at least that's our justification and we're stickin' to it!

Jay.
    --------
    --------

Seems to be some delusion here - using precious fossil fuels (ie, diesel) to burn your human waste, and then touting this as one of your "Eco Components", when you could simply go to an RV dump and get it treated properly - I must be missing something - even overseas, in most places if you put forth the effort you can dispose of your waste an a proper treatment facility.

Jay, Congratulations on the project. My wife, kids, and I are following your build progress with much excitement. For now we’re planning a smaller setup for domestic travel. However we would love to meet on the road later in life driving Eco-Roamer version 2.0.

As far as “Eco”, IMHO anyone on this board that meticulously specs out a rig (however large), lives within the confines of the small storage space and water storage capabilities, spends extended time in the backcountry, and leaves as small a footprint as possible is “Eco” in my book.

Long term expedition travelers are probably not heating/cooling large homes, sitting in traffic for hours a day in our v8 luxury SUV, shopping endlessly to fill our house and garage with crap we’ll later donate to charity, watering our large chemically treated lawns to keep them greener than the neighbors, ignoring our kids while they play video games on the big screen TV, and flooding the world with security lights so the “wrong kind of people” don’t intrude on our manicured lifestyle. Don’t look down on these folks at least they recycle their water bottles and are better than the neighbors 10 feet away who drive the dreaded H2.

Thanks for all the PMs, encouragement, and inspiration. Best of luck on the build!

Bob

Seems to be some delusion here - using precious fossil fuels (ie, diesel) to burn your human waste, and then touting this as one of your "Eco Components", when you could simply go to an RV dump and get it treated properly - I must be missing something - even overseas, in most places if you put forth the effort you can dispose of your waste an a proper treatment facility.
    Maybe Scott or one of the other 'experienced' travellers could let me know the GPS coordinates for the best KOA RV parks and dumping stations in the Sahara or Serenghetti!

;-) Jay.
    --------
    --------

Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast