Thread: Eco-Roamer - F650 based Expedition Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by jayshapiro
    Maybe Scott or one of the other 'experienced' travellers could let me know the GPS coordinates for the best KOA RV parks and dumping stations in the Sahara or Serenghetti!

;-) Jay.

kcowyo is offline Expedition Portal Moderator ExPo Original
    Quote Originally Posted by boblynch
    As far as “Eco”, IMHO anyone on this board that meticulously specs out a rig (however large), lives within the confines of the small storage space and water storage capabilities, spends extended time in the backcountry, and leaves as small a footprint as possible is “Eco” in my book.

Long term expedition travelers are probably not heating/cooling large homes, sitting in traffic for hours a day in our v8 luxury SUV, shopping endlessly to fill our house and garage with crap we’ll later donate to charity, watering our large chemically treated lawns to keep them greener than the neighbors, ignoring our kids while they play video games on the big screen TV, and flooding the world with security lights so the “wrong kind of people” don’t intrude on our manicured lifestyle. Don’t look down on these folks at least they recycle their water bottles and are better than the neighbors 10 feet away who drive the dreaded H2.
    Well said Bob.

The most eco-friendly thing any of us could do is to not be born, but it's a little late for that now isn't it?

I find it admirable that Jay is taking into account the effects his build and trip will have on the environment, while showing his children the world and presumably teaching them about being eco-friendly as well. Within the parameters of what Jay is trying to achieve, I see no harm or hypocrisy in labelling his build as eco-friendly or an eco-roamer or an eco-big truck with recycled parts.

He should be commended for taking these things into account. For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction, right? Taking into consideration the reactions before they occur, and passing that mindset onto the next generation, is being eco-friendly in my eyes.

'97 Toyota T100 - some stuff and some stories....
    '89 Toyota FJ62 - fractal cruising

currently listening to - Michael Kiwanuka "Home Again"
    recommended reading - Dead Run by Dan Schultz

Very nice!

Here's a great rig to check out!

EarthRoamer

Wonder if they could help........

Good luck and i'll be watching this sweet built!

Oh and Welcome the ExPo!!!

Nic

Sierra Expeditions
    www.sierraexpeditions.com
    1-866-507-4254

2003 LX470
    2012 Honda 450X

Just saw this thread - what an amazing project! Looking foward to watching it grow.

And welcome to ExPo
    ~/\ ☼
    / -- \
    Pete Hartl - VE6PGH - 0VRLAND

EXPEDITION = (Encounters + Adventures + Experiences) x YOU

Quote Originally Posted by boblynch
    Jay, Congratulations on the project. My wife, kids, and I are following your build progress with much excitement. For now we’re planning a smaller setup for domestic travel. However we would love to meet on the road later in life driving Eco-Roamer version 2.0.

As far as “Eco”, IMHO anyone on this board that meticulously specs out a rig (however large), lives within the confines of the small storage space and water storage capabilities, spends extended time in the backcountry, and leaves as small a footprint as possible is “Eco” in my book.

Long term expedition travelers are probably not heating/cooling large homes, sitting in traffic for hours a day in our v8 luxury SUV, shopping endlessly to fill our house and garage with crap we’ll later donate to charity, watering our large chemically treated lawns to keep them greener than the neighbors, ignoring our kids while they play video games on the big screen TV, and flooding the world with security lights so the “wrong kind of people” don’t intrude on our manicured lifestyle. Don’t look down on these folks at least they recycle their water bottles and are better than the neighbors 10 feet away who drive the dreaded H2.

Thanks for all the PMs, encouragement, and inspiration. Best of luck on the build!

Bob
    Perfect! You hit the nail on the head. There is a huge difference between the people here on this forum and the guy in the lifted H2 with large chrome wheels, and tv's in every head rest. With my fiance being a marine scientist we both have a great understanding of the environment and what it means to be "Eco". He probaly has a smaller foot print then these people here in Eugene driving VW buses that are 30+ years old, pieces falling off, and have not had an oil change in years who drive around preaching about the environment when they have no clue.

Cool build, Jay!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kcowyo
    The most eco-friendly thing any of us could do is to not be born, but it's a little late for that now isn't it?

On a dirt road, somewhere between where YOU are, and "there".

Default finished bumper!

Who says you can't be "eco-friendly" and "mean-looking" at the same time!?

Here's a picture of the just finished Bull Bar...

I'm really happy with how it came out!

- just to give a sense of size, those are 8" lights in the center!

- there's a Warn 16.5ti winch hidden behind the bumper.

It was custom built by Layne Wright at Denver Offroad Bumpers [tel: (970)464-5566] He's already got at least one more order off the back of this one. I researched around and couldn't find any good alternatives for the F-650, so we went down this route. Layne was recommended to me by MarcXP on ExPo.

The truck is now finally in Tulsa to have the axles changed and the frame stretched. Stay tuned...

Cheers,
    Jay.
    Jay & Alice (+ Kurt + Maya!) - www.ontheroadlesstravelled.com
    --------
    co-founders of www.themuskokafoundation.org - "Use what you know, to Do Good as you go!"
    --------
    '97 - Landcruiser Diesel Prado - for excursions - Available for loan in Malaysia
    '07 - Ford F-650 - The first EcoRoamer - www.ecoRoamer.com
    '06 - Horizon AT - "rent" it FREE here.

Jeep is offline Sponsoring Vendor Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition Vehicles
    Cool rig, very much alongside the needs and plans for my family. Way back in the days of the GM motorhomes they had a macerator that would burn the sewage off through the exhaust while driving, I don't know if that appeals to you but I just thought I would bring it up.

Jay,

What toilet are you looking at? I considered one and looked into the Espar diesel incinerator toilet and they said they are not available in the US. I found a number of electric incinerators but they require something like 2000W at 110v for a fair amount of time. Ultimately, I found one called "Ecojohn WC16" which is a US made diesel incinerator, the same company also makes a propane version if you are going down that path.

keep me posted

Rob
    You don't inherit the world from your parents, you borrow it from your children.
    --------
    1979 Unimog 416 Expedition Camper
    1974 Unimog 421
    2004 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Double Cab, Cummins Turbo Diesel
    2006 25' Airstream International CCD
    2009 Harley Davidson

Sugarloaf, Boulder, CO

On a dirt road, somewhere between where YOU are, and "there".

Default Toilets...

Quote Originally Posted by Robthebrit
    Jay,

What toilet are you looking at? I considered one and looked into the Espar diesel incinerator toilet and they said they are not available in the US. I found a number of electric incinerators but they require something like 2000W at 110v for a fair amount of time. Ultimately, I found one called "Ecojohn WC16" which is a US made diesel incinerator, the same company also makes a propane version if you are going down that path.
    Hi Rob,

I suppose it's a small industry... We're using the EcoJohn WC16 also. We started looking at the options and found the Espar/ Eberspacher WC16, which seems to be the exact unit that EcoJohn is selling in North America.

We're attaching it to a "Raritan Atlantes Freedom" 12v Self Macerating toilet.

I feel that the WC16 is overkill for our needs and is bigger / heavier than we would like, but as you pointed out, the smaller WC5 is only available in a propane version and not diesel. All along we've been struggling to remain (bio-)diesel only - with no propane on board, but at several thousand dollars more and a fair bit of space, the incinerator is starting to make me question that...

I've been justifying it to myself so far by saying "well at least we save space / weight on having a black water tank" - but I'm not sure if that's enough.

If we did carry propane, then I could run the Jackson BBQ off it as well, as opposed to the tiny tanks.

I think I'm open to being swayed on this one...

Cheers,
    Jay.
    Jay & Alice (+ Kurt + Maya!) - www.ontheroadlesstravelled.com
    --------
    co-founders of www.themuskokafoundation.org - "Use what you know, to Do Good as you go!"
    --------
    '97 - Landcruiser Diesel Prado - for excursions - Available for loan in Malaysia
    '07 - Ford F-650 - The first EcoRoamer - www.ecoRoamer.com
    '06 - Horizon AT - "rent" it FREE here.

Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast