Eco-Roamer - F650 based Expedition Vehicle

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Curiously, I bet that had he not mentioned that he was going to make this an eco-friendly build, just "hey, I am building a truck to travel the world with" then there would not have been any adverse reaction.

But since he mentioned he is going to try to be 'green' wherever and whenever possible...he is being criticized.

Proof again that "no good deed goes unpunished".....

I am not sure what the naysayers would suggest as a substitute for a family of four to travel the world. I suppose some would just as soon that they would stay home than 'pollute the earth' but that goes contrary to EVERYTHING this site stands for...

They are going to tread pretty lightly all things considered...what more do you want?

Clutch

<---Pass
Fat_Man said:
Curiously, I bet that had he not mentioned that he was going to make this an eco-friendly build, just "hey, I am building a truck to travel the world with" then there would not have been any adverse reaction.

I was thinking the same thing.

Jay:

Great build, it is coming along nicely. You wouldn't be related to a guy named Ari, that has a smoothie shop in Tucson would you? Probably a long shot, you guys have the same last name, and from the Bay Area.

pygmyowl said:
Don't mention anything about being eco friendly on this post - I tried - the boys will jump down your throat big time - screw the Polar Bears - so what if they go extinct on our watch - keep on trucking in your 25,000 lb rigs - what the heck the kids are getting an education!

Hey man, having gone to college at a predominately Science/Marine Science based school and having a Marine Scientist as a fianc&#233; I care greatly for the environment. But also coming from this background I can weed through the Media B.S. and trendy environmental stuff and make a real educated decision on what is really hurting the environment and that stuff like this can be eco-friendly.

A few examples of off bases information. You do realize that personal vehicles are not the main cause of pollution, industry is. How about this whole anti plastic bag thing. Take a guess as to which is more harmful for the environment. It's not plastic. Paper is by far more hurtful. You just need to recycle your plastic shopping bags. They are 100% recyclable, paper is not. I am just using this as an example as to one of the many areas were the media is doing more harm then good. Trendy environmental people will bash this man, an educated one will not.

Yes, this vehicle is a gas-guzzler and harmful for the environment. But, with all the steps this family is taking to reduce things in there lives, I can bet you this family leaves as much of a footprint as you do alone if not less then you or I.

With enough work and sacrifice, he can make a rig that is more eco-friendly then the average car out there.

Oh, by the way pygmyowl, what do you drive? Unless you drive a car made out of mud and that runs off of farts, leave this guy alone and let this guy work towards an eco-friendly rig.

Anyways, enough of this banter and let's keep this forum a friendly one. This is a thread about this really cool build and I can't wait to see more of it. Keep us informed as you go along.

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I don't get the "Eco" thing either, it seems as if every day I see more & more people/companies jumping on the earth friendly bandwagon, whether they're really doing it or not. I think this is a great build, gonna be an awesome rig when finished. Maybe the Eco part will come more into play when the rig is closer to being finished. For what I've seen so far, it's just an Expedition rig taking shape.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Just a quick question here, but shouldn't you have done the frame flex test with the frame weighted? Isn't the unloaded frame going to flex far less unloaded then loaded?

kbellve

Observer
Thanks for keeping us posted. I love reading this thread...

Just want to mention that my house takes nearly 200 gallons of heating oil a month during the winter. My wife's car takes about 60-80 gallons/month and we car pool 4 out of 5 days. When I drive my LX450, it takes about 100 gallons/month. I use about $125/month in electricity, which most comes from coal. 350 gallons * $3/gallon = $1050. $1050 + $125 = $1175

Convert that back to gallons... $1175/$3/gallon = 391 gallons

Lets say I got 10mpg in my RV. I could travel nearly 4000 miles/month or 40,000/year and still not use more fossil fuel than my family that has a house that doesn't move.

How many miles is he planning to drive each month? This planet is only so large (25,000mile circumference) and if he drives around the globe once/year, he would still use less fossil fuel than my family.

boblynch

Adventurer
Move this to another thread

Dear Moderators,

I suggest we move the cost/CO2/efficiency/eco debate to a dedicated thread. Folks are making good points that merit discussion.

However, I don't think it should be buried in Jay's project build thread.

Suggest the "Making a Difference" or "General Discussion" sections of the ExPo.

boblynch said:
Dear Moderators,

I suggest we move the cost/CO2/efficiency/eco debate to a dedicated thread. Folks are making good points that merit discussion.

However, I don't think it should be buried in Jay's project build thread.

Suggest the "Making a Difference" or "General Discussion" sections of the ExPo.

I would agree on that. I do apologize for my rant in someones rig build thread.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
This project also leaves me confused and with some very opposite feelings.

I really do admire the dedication and professionalism. But I am having a hard time accepting anything eco-friendly about it - recycling/modifying an older RV would have been in my opinion much more "green".

But either way, I can't wait to see the final product!

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Adding up...

spencyg said:
An amazing amount of work. I hate to be too forward, but I'm sure I'll ask what everybody is thinking...

How much is the budget on this thing? Just the parts and base truck alone have got to be over $150k at this point, and you're paying for labor too! Woudln't it have been easier to buy an Earthroamer?

Hi Spence,

Let's put it this way: It is going to be more than an Earthroamer, but much less than a Unicat.

In the spirit of this being an "Open Source Expedition Vehicle" I will be posting all of our spreadsheets with parts and costs up on our website once it is done.

YES - We could have just bought an Earthroamer and been on the road by now, but we taked to them and there were a few reasons why we decided not to go that route:

1 - Only available on the Ford F-450/550 chassis and therefore not with the CAT engine that we wanted for global serviceability. (not to mention all the problems with the Ford 6L when we started looking at it.

2 - We wanted to have 2 'permanent' beds so that we don't have to drop the dinette EVERY night.

3 - Personally, for what it is, I think the Earthroamer is over priced. I understand the need for them to recover their R&D costs and to make a profit, which is fine, but I'd rather have that money to pay for fuel and a few extra months on the road. It's not that we weren't willing to pay that much (we will spend more than that on this project) but I'm a big believer in value for money and getting what you paid for.

4 - I'm still working and so we weren't in a rush to get out on the road.

The other question that people typically ask me is what I do for a living or how we can afford to build a truck like this. The fact is 8 years ago I started my own small business and have spent a ton of time and effort growing it. We've had a dream for years to take a trip like this once we had a family (my wife and I did a similar trip around Asia in our modified Land Cruiser 90) and so we saved up for a long time, and then sold the business earlier this year. Now we're actually doing it. But every dollar I spend on the truck was hard earned and so I'm being very particular about how/what/where we spend it!

I hope that answers your question...

Cheers,
Jay.

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Joaquin Suave said:
What transmission are you using?

<<SNIP>>

I wanted to bring up another issue that I think you should be aware of...

ECU's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does your motor and trani have them? You might be wise to see if you can replace the pump for a strictly mechanical one! I know this seems like a backward progression, however...The farther away you get from the old USA...The less likely you will finding a mechanic that can help you. On the other hand, I'd bet you can find a GOOD Bosch pump mechanic in every country in the world.

This is very relevent for me at this present time due to the ALLISON HELL I'm going through with Libelula right now.

JS,
I like your ECU idea. I will ask CAT about that when we take the truck in to them. I had an ECU die on my Wrangler and I can't believe what it cost. They had to order one in from the States (we were in Singapore) and it took forever. Good idea.

TRANSMISSION - We have the Allison 6-spd auto. What is wrong with Libby's? PM me...

Thanks,
Jay.

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Kermit said:
Great build, it is coming along nicely. You wouldn't be related to a guy named Ari, that has a smoothie shop in Tucson would you? Probably a long shot, you guys have the same last name, and from the Bay Area.

NOPE... Though I like smoothies, so if he offers a "family discount" I'll stop by!

Jay.

Last edited:
I know myself and I am sure others would love to see this thing in person when it is done. This will be a very unique and interesting rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles