Eco-Roamer - F650 based Expedition Vehicle

jayshapiro

Adventurer
"Eco-ness"

Hi All,

First of all let me just say that I love that this project has stirred some interesting conversation and passions on ExPo. If we do nothing else but get people thinking about how Expeditioning can be more environmentally friendly, then already we've accomplished something...

That being said, I thought maybe I should finally chime in on the whole "eco" thing so that the nay-sayers out there at least know where we're coming from.

FACT: A diesel powered big expedition rig is going to add pollution and CO2 to the world.

That is just a fact and I don't think that there is anyone on this site who can deny that. However, we really want to take a round-the-world trip and do it in an ExPo type rig. As we strated getting in to the project though we started feeling guilty about the impact that it was potentially going to have.

At this point it's worth noting that no matter how bad the truck ever actually is, it will never belch out even a fraction of the CO2 that I am responsible for from the almost million miles that I fly on commercial flights travelling for work every year. If you want to call me a hypocrite for anything, it's that.

The point is though, that it's not black or white. "Not flying" or "riding a farting donkey" are not the only ways to help the environment. (though I did love the Thetford donkey idea!) If you just REDUCE the impact that you are having then you are a part of the solution. Yes, you are also still a part of the problem, but at least you're doing LESS HARM than if you didn't think about it at all.

FACT: we are going to build a rig and drive it around the world.

I think that trying to do that with as little impact as possible is a positive thing, rather than not caring about any of the environmental issues and just building it blindly.

What makes this build different, such that we can call it "eco friendly"?

1 - We are trying to use zero-plywood.

The RV industry uses millions of board-feet of plywood every year and that has a big impact on the forests, etc. Instead, we're using a composite material for the sub-floor and sustainable bamboo for all the cabinetry.

2 - We are skinning it with Alucobond

Many of the rigs we looked at use FRP or Gelcoat for the outerskin of the camper. These use some pretty nasty resins that not only smell bad but create some not nice chemicals in their production. We chose the Alucobond composite material which not only looks cool, but it's made from 80% recycled materials.

3 - Sustainable materials inside
The camper floor and countertops are both from LEED certified materials because they are either from recycled materials or sustainable sources. (The counters are made from waste paper laminated into a super hard counter)

4 - Solar not diesel
We're putting almost 2KW of solar panels on the roof, and almost 1,000lbs of batteries under the floor. Yes, we will use more diesel carrying those around, but I think they will save us from running the diesel generator as much as we would have otherwise.

5 - Carbon Offsetting
We are calculating the CO2 that the truck is going to generate in our travels, as well as the manufacturing process, and we're donating enough money to tree planting, solar farms, etc. to offset an equivalent amount. Does that mean that we won't still be belching it out? No - but at least we're going to try and replace what we take out.

So you see, I clearly agree that the MOST "eco-friendly" thing to do would be not to go. But if you agreed with that route, then none of us would be on this forum. Therefore, if you ARE going to go, then the question becomes: "How do we reduce the impact of going?" The Eco-Roamer is a practical exploration of that question.

It's like the "Tread Lightly" campaign that we've all seen off-roading. Sure, it could just say "Don't go" but that would be no fun. So instead, let's try and find a balance and "go" but do it with care.

Here endeth the lecture... I promise more cool pictures of the truck next time!

Jay.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Jay,

Thanks for taking the time to explain your position one more time.

I think it's greatly appreciated.

I like to think that I am helping by recycling/reusing an older Troop Carrier (88) for my overland travels but I would probably have to sell everything I have to offset the carbon emissions from the older 2H...

:)

teotwaki

Excelsior!
jayshapiro said:
............... Ideally, the winch will be a 'last resort' and we will rely on the kindness of fellow ExPo travellers and a tow strap, if we can.......

Given the size of your rig you may have to carry a properly rated tow strap as part of your gear.

Just started reading this thread and saw all the usual slings and arrows arrayed against the project. Maybe start a second thread with your expedition plans roughed out to mollify the less imaginative folks? :)

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Jay, I am in the planning stages for our expedition rig. Like yours it will be big, to accomodate my family. We share a little history with building and selling a business, I have started 2 more in the last year and will dedicate about 5 years to them at which time we should be finished building our rig so I completely understand why you wouldn't just go out and buy an Earthroamer, I too believe in value for the dollar. If nothing else you have inspired me to look at more environmentally friendly products and components, prior to your post I had never considered any environmental impact of the products I chose to use. I have utilized some of the principles in my business recently. We were dilligent before, we are more dilligent now. So.......your Eco Roamer has already had a positive effect on the environment.

Thank you,
Mark

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
Dont let nay sayers and malcontents slow you down.
Keep planning and forging ahead.
Every one in your family will have a great time as it progresses.

:camping:

regards,

Jim

bigford

Nice work on the rig Jay. It's going to be a winner. I saw your rims and just a comment: the military has 2 piece rims that you might want to look at. They are available surplus from several sources. I am running them with 1600 XZLs. They have a big O-ring and even used they don't leak. They are called combat rims. Mine have 20 bolts holding the pieces together, some have 10 bolts depending on model. I do know someone who is running USA6X6 rims like yours on a 5 ton military truck (same bolt pattern) and he is pleased with them so don't be too discouraged.
With these large tires, 1 person can mount/dismount them on rims like these. Good choice.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Hey, Jay!
Where's your website?
The link in your sig line gives me an "Invalid Host Name" error....

Ed
safari.gif

jayshapiro

Adventurer
www.ontheroadlesstravelled.com

DaktariEd said:
Hey, Jay!
Where's your website?
The link in your sig line gives me an "Invalid Host Name" error....

Ed,
We've been having "technical issues" with the server for a few months. I've just changed it over to GoDaddy and it's back up now. Still the old truck though... ;-(

We'll get it updated with the new build as soon as we have time.

Stay tuned!
Jay.

jayshapiro

Adventurer
winching

Hi All,

Thanks for the various suggestions about the Warn Winches.

I absolutely take your points about the capacity of the electric winches vs. something hydraulic or a PTO option.

However, as we've already bought & installed the Warn's I'm going to go with them for the moment and see where we end up with the final weight for the vehicle. If we feel we need to swap them out in the end then we can always do that later.

Thanks for the advice!

Jay.

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Merry Xmas

To all those who have had some interest in the Eco-Roamer project over the past few months and/or have offered advice... Thank You & Merry Xmas!

May you and your families have a very happy holiday season.
rvchristmas.jpg

Thanks for visiting my thread. Stay tuned next year for more details of the build...

Cheers,
Jay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles