HAM Operators- Post up here

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Just a tech, will probably go get the general when I have a few days to study and go take it. My brother-in-law has his Extra so not sure I need to go further for what I do. Posting your call sign in forums is about two clicks away from posting your name and address, I'm a little more private than that.....73's!

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Posting your call sign in forums is about two clicks away from posting your name and address!

or opening a phone book. No biggie, it's already public info. As long as the Mothership knows where to find me I am good. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Okay, I'll try looking in the phone book for prerunner 1982....LOL

I should have thought of using the PO Box! I'm not paranoid, but no reason to advertise. Guess that's what we do each time we use our call sign....second thought....but at least it's other HAMs and not a lurker. :)

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
KF5UOV
Got my Tech a couple of months ago. Wanted something simple that I could use directly with the SMA antenna connection on my Yaesu VX-6R and other handhelds.
Diamond Antenna K400SNMO Mount with a Comet SBB-5NMO Antenna. The antenna actually folds over behind the back window for low clearance situations. So far it works really well for being connected to a measly 5W radio.
DiamondAntennaK400SNMOMountwithCometSBB-5NMOAntenna_zpsb2f32651.jpg~original

SBB-5NMOFoldOver_zps6beb6b8a.jpg~original

Down the road I'll probably end up using this with a mobile unit that has a remote-mountable display like a Yaesu FT-8800R.
Had good luck with Yaesu so far and have a couple friends with these units and their already-purchased programming cables.
Makes it a cinch to clone all their programming to another same-model Yaesu.

Last edited:

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Watch those fold over Comets. I have one and folded it when entering a parking garage in Vegas. I figured I'd just leave it folded the whole weekend. Well at some point it sprang back up and the next time I entered the parking garage I ripped the mount right out of my shell roof. If I do it again I'll secure it in the "down" position some how.

cactusjk

Explorer
I use a velcro strip on mine but it folds down to my FJ ARB roof rack.

Watch those fold over Comets. I have one and folded it when entering a parking garage in Vegas. I figured I'd just leave it folded the whole weekend. Well at some point it sprang back up and the next time I entered the parking garage I ripped the mount right out of my shell roof. If I do it again I'll secure it in the "down" position some how.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough

I use a velcro strip on mine but it folds down to my FJ ARB roof rack.

Oh yeah. Thanks for pointing that out. I quickly saw that it will pop back up on its own rather easily. I've got a short bungee that hooks between the coil in the whip and my spare tire mount if I need it held down.

clandr1

Adventurer
KF5UOV
Got my Tech a couple of months ago. Wanted something simple that I could use directly with the SMA antenna connection on my Yaesu VX-6R and other handhelds.
Diamond Antenna K400SNMO Mount with a Comet SBB-5NMO Antenna. The antenna actually folds over behind the back window for low clearance situations. So far it works really well for being connected to a measly 5W radio.
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/...CometSBB-5NMOAntenna_zpsb2f32651.jpg~original
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/switawi/HAM Stuff/SBB-5NMOFoldOver_zps6beb6b8a.jpg~original
Down the road I'll probably end up using this with a mobile unit that has a remote-mountable display like a Yaesu FT-8800R.
Had good luck with Yaesu so far and have a couple friends with these units and their already-purchased programming cables.
Makes it a cinch to clone all their programming to another same-model Yaesu.

Good setup - I first used a VX-7 with a similar setup using a tri-band Diamond antenna and it worked very well. I now have a FT-7800 hard mounted and I've been extremely happy with the operation/capability.

Trekkindave

W2XDC. Operating a Yeasu Ft-857 out of my 2007 Jeep Wrangler JKU. I stick mostly to my local repeaters (which you can Echolink or IRLP into) and since I am only a technician class, I usually hang out and call CQ on 28.400mhz - 28.450 MHz for HF when 10 meters is open. I have made a few decent Dx contacts from my Jeep as well including Brazil and Austria from the New York area issuing only 50 wtts and a 10 meter "ham stick" on the spare tire mount.

I usually monitor 28.440 MHz while driving sort of as a guard channel, but frequently also monitor 145.6 MHz or 446.000mhz also for the dual band guys. Try to call if you are in the Long Island Area or via HF of you are so equipt. I will be taking my general soon to open up the bands for me as well.

See you all on the air.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
de N7KMS

I took my Extra Class exam today at the Spokane Hamfest and passed with a 96%. w0ot! w0ot! I felt pretty confident going into it, I've been casually studying for 6 months and for the last 5 or 6 weeks I've been obsessively studying. My goal was to get my Extra Class license before my birthday on Nov 13th so I met that goal with plenty of time to spare.

abruzzi

Adventurer
KF5YKA.

I took element 2 and 3 two weekends ago and passed. My callsign was posted last Friday, the paper license arrived today. Just under the wire now that FCC is down to 30 employees.

For the moment I just have a UV5R just so I can get out there, but I'm planning to put together an ICOM 7200 (probably) and a buddipole, or similar setup into a pelican case for lugging around in my truck. I'll also probably figure I'll put together a permanent mount VHF/UHF setup in the truck too.

Geof

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Buddipole is a good antenna. I definitely recommend the low band coil and long shock cord whips, never tried the capacity hat but I'm sure its pretty nice. And get a few extra dipole arms unless you are feeling adventurous and want to make your own. Get yourself some 3/4 and 3/8 aluminum round stock, cut about an inch or so off the 3/4 and drill which ever size hole you need to tap it for 3/8x24 thread. Then cut how ever much length of 3/8 stock you want (get creative!) and thread both ends to 3/8x24. Screw one end of the 3/8 stock into the little chunk of 3/4 and use your bench vise and vice grips to get it super tight. Voila! Home brew custom length buddipole parts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior