HAM Operators- Post up here

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Just so you guys are aware, posting your call sign means anyone can find out your address and full name.

http(colon)(slash)(slash)www(dot)qrz(dot)com

Last edited:

bj70_guy

Adventurer
In Canada you can email Industry Canada and request that your address be hidden from view.
Apparently you can't do this in the US?

Cabrito

I come in Peace
DaveInDenver said:
Just so you guys are aware, posting your call sign means anyone can find out your address and full name.

This is true but maybe you should edit your post to take out the direct link so the pirates have to work harder to get our personal information. You can also do PO Box addresses in the US.

In another forum I just went in later and edited out my actual call sign.

--

DaveInDenver

Cabrito said:
DaveInDenver said:

This is true but maybe you should edit your post to take out the direct link so the pirates have to work harder to get our personal information. You can also do PO Box addresses in the US.

--
Edited the URL, but the fact remains QRZ is not the only place to access the FCC Call Sign DB, just a common entry point. It's public information and just wanted people to be aware of that.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
DaveInDenver said:
Edited the URL, but the fact remains xxx is not the only place to access the FCC Call Sign DB, just a common entry point. It's public information and just wanted people to be aware of that.

QSL

I wish I had done my PO box on my license application for the very reasons you stated. Oh Well....

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Cabrito said:
QSL

I wish I had done my PO box on my license application for the very reasons you stated. Oh Well....

Why not just submit a change of address (to your PO box)?

Cabrito

I come in Peace
bj70_guy said:
Why not just submit a change of address (to your PO box)?

I plan to one of these days......

I'm not really worried about it though. It's so easy to find somebody if you really want to.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
bj70_guy said:
In Canada you can email Industry Canada and request that your address be hidden from view.
Apparently you can't do this in the US?

That's what I did with mine. It shows a blank address.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Name: mountainpete
First Name: Pete
Callsign : VE6PGH
Radio : Yaesu FT-8800R
Freq usually on: 2m (often listen to VE6RYC)

Cabrito said:
DaveInDenver said:

--

don't understand what the problem is. this info is available from lots of
different sources. here in phoenix i can come up with close to a million
full names matched to their adresses, what am i missing?

DaveInDenver

Bruce Behnfeldt said:
don't understand what the problem is. this info is available from lots of different sources. here in phoenix i can come up with close to a million full names matched to their adresses, what am i missing?
Just pointing it out to new hams. It's each person's decision on what the ramifications of it might be.

RoundOut

Explorer
Forum viewable by members only?

Is this forum only accessible to members or generally available? Hopefully, there are no axe murderers among us.

If it is generally available, maybe it could be made members-only by one of the moderators.

K2RVR

Adventurer
Forum Name: K2RVR
First Name: Todd
Callsign : K2RVR
Radio : Kenwood D700A, others
Freq usually on: 2m/70cm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste