Fiat Panda 4x4

Flagster

Expedition Leader
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/27/2013-fiat-panda-4x4-paris-2012/

http://www.fiat.com/cgi-bin/pbrand....categoryOID=-1073765886&contentOID=1076045046

Future Jeep offering??? Personally I think it is a sharp looking little ride...

The only 4WD car in its segment
The Fiat mini-SUV has an original style and compact dimensions
"Torque on demand" four-wheel drive and Electronic Locking Differential function
Two engine versions available: 85 HP 0.9 TwinAir Turbo and 75 HP 1.3 MultiJet II
New suspensions for top-in-class comfort
The most comprehensive range in the category: Trekking and Natural Power versions coming soon

Ala5ka

VX'er
If it has "torque on demand" like my TOD system on the VehiCROSS than it can be good and can be bad. Just assuming it may be similar because they have the exact same name and I figure they can't knock off a system verbatim. I may/probably am wrong

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Less "4x4" and more "AWD", but, here' some info:

The permanent all-wheel-drive transmission is called 'Torque on Demand'; this fully automatic system features two differentials and an electronically controlled coupling. It sends traction to the front wheels, rear wheels or a combination of both depending on road and grip conditions.

The Panda 4x4 also gets an electronic-locking differential to work with the electronic stability control system below 31mph, proper mud and snow tyres and a shorter first gear for the manual gearbox on the TwinAir version. A new six-speed manual also makes its debut on the Panda 4x4

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Sounds similar to the AWD system in my SX4. The locking center diff is awesome.

I personally like the on/off characteristic of the AWD in auto mode, some people don't. I like it more than the slow power transfer of a viscous coupling system. I find it works loads better in harsh off-roading as well. It gives up long after a conventional mechanical AWD will throw in the towel. It's kind of the best of both worlds.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
The issue with these types of AWD systems (I have one, and I'm speaking of the Haldex or Borg Warner type, now owned by Haldex, not sure what the SX4 runs) is, the electromagnetic clutch pack can only hold on so long. Then it will release itself to prevent overheating and damage. When your really out offroad, that's not a good thing. I've had mine decouple at the worst of times, down a long, snowy road, well, 1/2 way down.

Also, the system is only capable of locking up and sending "up to" 50% power to the back wheels. More advanced systems are capable of sending more power backwards or forwards. Systems such as the Mitsu Evo's, the Mini's, the BMW Xdrive, and other's, of course, you pay for it :) And, everything has its disadvantages.

Also (sorry, have many gripes with this type of system, I've owned 3), the center "locking" diff decouples to prevent damage over a certain speed. Take it from me, when your in the bottom of a snowy/icy ditch, and you need just a wee bit more wheelspin than 31mph, you'd sure like the system to stay fully locked, just for that extra 5 feet up.

Now, not all bad. This type of system is fantastic for fuel economy, and allows AWD in a more affordable segment, that wouldn't be possable with the more advanced pro-active systems, and its getting better with every generation. And its a nice, lightweight, compact system that defiantly gets the job done.

Like I say, I currently own one (Haldex Gen III) and have owned 2 others in the past. Just my 2cents

Last edited:

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I've only ever had mine shut down while screwing around in a parking lot in the snow for a very good amount of time. I find if you leave it in 'auto' mode so it constantly has to lock and unlock it overheats much quicker. I've actually never had it shut down while I've had it in lock mode. I think there's less slipping so it doesn't overheat. And I've had it through mud pits, climbing icy hills etc. Has never failed me on the trail yet. Every time it's shut down it has definitely been user-error for lack of a better term.

People have been working on an electronic override for the 30mph shut down, not sure I'd risk it though especially since its never been an issue for me. I don't rally race it ;)

But like you said, for a 'soft-roader' and for cost efficiency (including mileage), you can't beat it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles