Vegas Day Trips.

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
In January of 1942, the cabin was reopened and used as the base camp in the rescue and recovery of the Carol Lombard plane crash site. Carol Lombard, wife of Clark Gable, was leaving Las Vegas and returning to Indiana after a war bond rally. The plane crashed carrying 22 passengers, including 15 servicemen. There were no survivors. The crash site was on that mountain ridge seen behind the cabin in the previous set of pictures. There are still pieces of the wreckage on that ridge including motor parts.

Attachments

• Img_1056.jpg
    Img_1056.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Img_1057.jpg
    Img_1057.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Img_1061.jpg
    Img_1061.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Img_1062.jpg
    Img_1062.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Img_1101.jpg
    Img_1101.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Img_1133.jpg
    Img_1133.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 7
  • Img_1138.jpg
    Img_1138.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Img_1142.jpg
    Img_1142.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Img_1153.jpg
    Img_1153.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Img_1173.jpg
    Img_1173.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 7

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Great stuff :cool: I've enjoyed a fair amount of time in mines throughout the West, haven't had a chance to explore anything in the Vegas area, yet :D

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
I've been meaning to explore into Utah. We can trade tours. If you ever get to Vegas, I can show you some of my favorite spots.

I also bookmarked your site. I'm in the process of building up my Jeep Commander and prefer to support small businesses.

area 52

i used to work for the air force near tonopah at area 52, it's got quite a few untouched old mines and buildings that were abandoned when the Gov ran everybody off.I used to see incredible old artifacts and machinery.

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
I've been around that area a few times. I wanted so badly to see a UFO, but no luck. Somewhere along the way, we took an overgrown trail and came across the turret of tank. Just over a hill, we came across a row of burned tanks. We accidentally wandered onto a bombing practice range.

cruiseroutfit

I've been meaning to explore into Utah. We can trade tours. If you ever get to Vegas, I can show you some of my favorite spots.

For sure. I'm a member of the Mojave Underground group (based in Utah but explore mines all over the west, check them out on FB or their website). Additionally there is a growing amount of mine info on ExpeditionUtah as well. Would love for you to add your Nevada trip info :cool:

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
I had a look at Mojave Underground's site and it's full of SPAM as of a few days ago. Unless they recently cleaned it, it doesn't look like anyone is maintaining it anymore. Sad to see it like that. It looked like a great resource.

cruiseroutfit

I had a look at Mojave Underground's site and it's full of SPAM as of a few days ago. Unless they recently cleaned it, it doesn't look like anyone is maintaining it anymore. Sad to see it like that. It looked like a great resource.

It is/was a fabulous resource but the web guy is working on migrating it to a new forum software and let the old one slip to spammers, a real loss as there is a ton of great info there. They are fairly active on FB and have monthly meet-ups here in Utah. I've been bugging Mike to get the forum up and going, soon he hopes.

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
I think I may be the last person in the world without a Facebook account. I'll occasionally use my wifes FB account to look up people I used to know. Mostly to look up old girlfriends. Glad to see they're all doing well.

When I try to go to ExpeditionNevada.com, it brings me to ExpeditionUtah.com. Are they the same site?

cruiseroutfit

I think I may be the last person in the world without a Facebook account. I'll occasionally use my wifes FB account to look up people I used to know. Mostly to look up old girlfriends. Glad to see they're all doing well.

When I try to go to ExpeditionNevada.com, it brings me to ExpeditionUtah.com. Are they the same site?

Correct, ExpeditionNevada is a sub-section of ExpeditionUtah (until it has enough activity to be on its own).

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
Ok, I'll probably feel silly after someone points it out, but I looked and looked and still didn't see anything there specific to Nevada. Could you give me a hint where to look?

cruiseroutfit

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
Ok, now it makes sense. I'll register sometime later today. I'd trying to get caught up on this season of Dexter at the moment.

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
Here's another mine we visited today in Southern Nevada less than an hours drive from the Strip. This mine spanned several miles over different claim sites. This is the largest of the claim sites.

Attachments

• Img_5535.jpg
    Img_5535.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke