Things that go bump...in my truck??

yedi

Observer
So I've got a weird hollow thumping sound in my truck and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction about what it might be. I've got a 2011 Access Cab Tacoma with Dakars and the added D29XL leaf in the back. My leaf pack was squeaking pretty badly, so I put some white lithium grease between the leafs. The squeaking went away, but now I have this weird hollow sounding knock when I go over a series of small bumps (something that makes the wheels chatter - larger bumps don't seem to create the noise) or when I quickly shift directions (like if I jerk the wheel quickly left and then right). It sounds like it's coming from the rear of the bed, and it sounds kind of hollow, like something is tapping sheet metal, almost as if something is tapping the body of the truck while going over bumps. It's not very loud, but I'm wondering what it is. I've checked the bed bolts and the bolts on the leaf pack, and everything seems to be tight. I had my spare tire stolen a couple of days ago, and I thought that it could be something with the spare tire holder that's now loose, but I didn't see anything loose (just gone) and I didn't notice the noise until after I put some grease on the leafs, which was after the theft. Any ideas?

fowldarr

Explorer
Mine was a rock in the plastic fender liner, everytime I hit a bump it would bounce around and make a noise.

shov3lbum

Adventurer
My "thump" was my sway bar after a bracket fell off, only in corners and small bumps did it make noise. My solution? Just took it off

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

yedi

Observer
So? Did you figure it out?

Sorry for the delay. Unfortunately, no. No rocks that I could find, and the sway bar looks fine. I discovered I can get the truck to make the noise when it's not moving by rocking the bed back and forth (perpendicular to the direction it would be driving in), but if I bounce up and down on the tailgate, it's silent. I'm just going to take it to a shop, I guess. I can't figure it out.

Simp801

On my Tacoma one of the bed bolts had come loose and caused a thumping sound. The bolt that came loose was the front passenger bolt. It is a torx bolt T-55 I think. I ended up taking all the way out and cleaning the threads up a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior