Hood use for storage?

Toyotero

Explorer
I think the biggest problem is the positioning hoods... most vehicles weren't designed with the idea of having stuff sitting on the hood, so the hood is higher than one on an LR, and any items would obstruct the driver's view too much to put much anything up there (such as even a narrow tire).

Last edited:

AFSOC

Explorer
Are there any others out there that use their hood for light weight storage, whether temporary or not?

Sven from XXXpedition had a storage set up on the hood of his XJ for awhile. I'm not sure what was stored in there but it was no doubt 'heat resistant'.XXXpedition hood.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Is that a gun mount in front of the a-pillar?
Are there any others out there that use their hood for light weight storage, whether temporary or not? It seems the Defender is one of the only vehicles actually using the hood space for something.

I know most modern hoods are pretty weak, but it seems like a wasted space for lightweight storage.

hood by CENTCOM_Survivor, on Flickr

hood 1 by CENTCOM_Survivor, on Flickr

hood 2 by CENTCOM_Survivor, on Flickr

Photos were originally in this thread.

Caoboy

Adventurer
I'd be too afraid of something coming undone and flying into my head in an accident. It's also going to obstruct your view, as well as probably not be DOT legal (at least here in the States)

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Appears the rack is for the spare tire, looks like there is a mount for a jack or spare barrel in front of the gun mount.

We lashed down laundry bags, wet clothes, shelter half or other soft bags to the windshield tie downs on the hood of Army jeeps where the load was low enough not to be a real obstruction.

Seems several old vehicles has spares on the hood. A deer can go on a Wrangler hood. :coffeedrink:

greenmeanie

Adventurer
That truck is a WMIK or something dressed up to look like one as there are lots of details that aren't quite right. If you look at the interior you'll see the cage for the weapon mount in the back. The rack on the bonnet is used for camo nets.

Old Rovers had the option to carry the spare on the bonnet. It is either clamped or bolted in position and in many 10's of thousands of miles I never had a problem with it. There is an arguement that it can limit your view over the front of the truck off road but I can't say that ever bothered me either as I wasn't rock crawling with it.

skibum315

Explorer
Looks to me like that's ChrishaynesUSA's Xterra ... I believe he had that setup put together as a custom order from Raingler. I'm pretty sure he (Chris) has an account over here, but I'm not sure how often he checks in ... he is pretty active on the Xterra forums, though (in particular The New X @ www.thenewx.org).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior