The tank, an earth roamer on a budget

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Made a little more progress, bought a full set of leather power seats and console from a 02 or so chevy crew cab for 150$. Also picked up a nib diesel muffler for $40. Gotta love CL!!!!! Will be ordering my 8" lift in the next week or two. Summers coming so I need to get my azz moving!!

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Well got a few more things done. I mounted the 02 crewcab seats, MAN what a difference. The rear still folds flat, TONS on legroom, one of the best mods so far. Pics up soon. Also settled on the rolling stock, 22.5's. YUP I know, big loud truck with a flat biller driving it belching black smoke all over everything. I know the thought that comes to most peoples minds but that isn't me. I got the wheels for a song, and a set of 39" tall by 10" wide tires cheap a few days later. However after some measuring I think I'm going to buy new tires in the 37X7" range. I believe they will "tuck" much better. Why did I choose 22.5's? Several reasons, load carrying capacity, height without the width, commercial design and service lift, easily sourceable in the middle of know where instead of trying to find a name brand big LT tire.

Ordered my custom made front 6" lift springs designed for my engine/bumper/winch weight. I'm travelling until the 1st march then I'm picking up my springs and going to start working on the lift. After that I'll sort out the rolling stock.

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Well the direction is changing a touch. I've decided not to use the big rig rollers. The costs were adding up, combine that with the height needed to clear the tires and the truck would be ridiculous. I'm got instead with 315 75 16 duratracs on my stock wheels, and a regear to 3.54's. Should give me the road manners I need, will put 65 mph at about 1500 rpm.

SChandler

Adventurer
I'd rethink the gear swap if I were you. 1500 rpm is below the torque peak. If 65 mph is your desired cruise speed, you will have better power and the engine won't be lugging if you're in the 1800-ish rpm range at 65 mph.

I can't wait to see this thing all put together. It's going to be sweet!

blakeape

Adventurer
I'd re-think the gear swap too. I have a 97 12 valve Cummins on 37's and 4.10's. It's great, get this monster slapped together and drive it a bit, I'll bet you'll be happy with the 4.10's. Sick build and glad to see you going away from the 22.5's. 19.5's are a good option if you need a little more tire down the road and you can get them in a 285/70/19.5 that measures a true 35.5" that most 37's really measure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles