group 31 batteries? Best value?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
What is the best option for a LARGE group 31 battery these days?

I am looking for an AGM style unit with a good warranty. My old Dodge Cummins is pretty hard on the battery in the winter....

I am not interested in doing with duals or anything. I just want a single big huge battery.....

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
I REALLY like the DieHard Platinum in mine. They're not cheap, but I've done stupid things like left my stereo on all night (whoops) and it has still fired the truck right up without complaint. Apparently it's a rebadged Odyssey?

Smksignals

Explorer
Sears Platinum. Run my Edgestar fridge on one and have never had a problem. Being able to warranty at any Sears is a bonus.

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
That's the one.

EDIT: Be warned, if you're short and feeble like me, you just about need a crane to get it in the engine bay :sombrero:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have an engine hoist :) I was planning on rebuilding the battery tray and connections also....

ExpoMike

Yep, I have dual Platinums under the hood and a single 31M in the camper. Been very happy with them!

BTW, the Marine version (the one in your link) does not have as good of a warranty at the auto versions. The 31 Platinum is not available in an auto version IIRC. I have the one in your link, in the camper.

I ended up with a pair of Group 65 ones, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...tive&cName=Batteries&sName=Car Batteriesmv=rr which have the better warranty.

Just passing on that tidbit of info.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Napa 7237. Darn near every decent emergency generator and firepump in Ohio uses these. Even the big stuff, rather than 4 giant 8D batteries I often see people useing 8-20 of these instead.

There is a stud version as well. Change them out every 3 years and you'll never have another battery failure.

Why are you going to a single setup if you have trays for dual batteries allready?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Oh, THAT olde! Haha.

Most of our olde circa 1980's generators that use the Cummins B series are just fine with one G31 7237 Napa battery. I also like them because you can still uncrew the top plugs and check fluid levels to make sure you don't have an empty battery filled with Hydrogen ready to explode in your face. But it still says "sealed maintenance free" on the sticker, which it mostly is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke