ipad mini as a gps

Jesmor3

I love the Gaia maps app. Lets me track and share routes as well as cache maps for later on. I recommend a 3G iPad mini so it just has the GPS module in it already.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Am I a dummy? I have the data capable mini, but don't have a data plan. Don't I have a GPS chip? How do I use GPS when out and about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RobRed

Explorer
The LTE Mini has the GPS hardware.

You need a mapping application to use it.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

RobRed

Explorer
Yep motion x HD will do that. If you haven't read my iPad stuff check the link in my sig and you can probably pick up some info to get you going.

RobRed

Explorer
v20 Motion X currently has the original map sets from way back in v16. When I emailed them regarding the change it has to do with licensing. It was suggested the maps will be back in a future upgrade. These guys upgrade the app a lot.

MotionX didn't have topo maps before, it had, and continues to use the Open Cycle maps. What was lost was Bing and Bing cacheable maps. As you pointed out Google maps is missing as well but Google maps weren't cacheable so the usefulness was limited. More on Google Maps... Motion X uses Apples Map Kit functionality so when iOS 6 moved from Google based to Apple based maps the change happened in MotionX. If you have an iOS 5 device you are still getting Google maps.

I posted in a separate thread that current users may want to wait and NOT upgrade to v20 of the app.

Jesmor3

v20 Motion X currently has the original map sets from way back in v16. When I emailed them regarding the change it has to do with licensing. It was suggested the maps will be back in a future upgrade. These guys upgrade the app a lot.

MotionX didn't have topo maps before, it had, and continues to use the Open Cycle maps. What was lost was Bing and Bing cacheable maps. As you pointed out Google maps is missing as well but Google maps weren't cacheable so the usefulness was limited. More on Google Maps... Motion X uses Apples Map Kit functionality so when iOS 6 moved from Google based to Apple based maps the change happened in MotionX. If you have an iOS 5 device you are still getting Google maps.

I posted in a separate thread that current users may want to wait and NOT upgrade to v20 of the app.

I need to try out MotionX HD but if you're looking to use google maps, Gaia lets you overlay Google Terrain and other google street maps.

Humvette

Adventurer
I just got an iPad mini 16g wifi only and I love it!!! Yes there are other cheaper options but o well. I need the GPS unit to mount outside of my vehicle. My H1 has an about vertical front windshield so I get crap for signal. That is why I did not get the iPad with built in GPS. Oh I need to be able to move the GPS item around.

Humvette

Adventurer
I have used motion X before and loved it!

If i get the Dual XGPS150 i will be set? Does the MotionX have all the maps already on it? How does this stuff work?

down load

be sure to down load the maps for Thea areas you will travel in other wise it won't work read my other post Interesting fail

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles