ipad mini as a gps

roversam

Observer
I am going to do some trips where i need to have a true gps and I was planing on mounting my CF-29 in my Rover but i was drug into the apple store the other day and kinda fell in love with the ipad mini and was woundering if anyone knew of a gps system that could be used with them that works well and has both road and topo maps.

Thanks Sam

Sempertoy

Explorer
I know that motion x HD for the ipad has had great reviews by a forum member. Also try iHike GPS. I love my mini and am anxiously awaiting the relesase of the RAM mounts.

Pirateover50

Observer
If it is wifi only check out Dual Electronics GPS receiver. Works on Bluetooth with iPad and works good with motionx app.

A

agavelvr

another option for the wifi only unit...
Delorme Inreach will serve location info to your Ipad via bluetooth.

jarmentrout

Observer
Before you commit check a nexus 7 and the map app and back country navigator app. It has a nice GPS already built in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

AK Allen

2012 TTSE FJ Cruiser
Before you commit check a nexus 7 and the map app and back country navigator app. It has a nice GPS already built in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I almost agree, I would look at a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0" It has a Micro SD slot, which will allow you to add a 32GB card for storage, and built in gps. I have this as my set-up. It works great. I use Sygic for on road, and backcountry navigator for off-road. I couldn't be happier. Plus you can find them for under $200. I saw one yesterday for $179. Neither the iPad mini nor the Nexus 7 have micro SD slots.

targa88

Explorer
I almost agree, I would look at a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0" It has a Micro SD slot, which will allow you to add a 32GB card for storage, and built in gps. I have this as my set-up. It works great. I use Sygic for on road, and backcountry navigator for off-road. I couldn't be happier. Plus you can find them for under $200. I saw one yesterday for $179. Neither the iPad mini nor the Nexus 7 have micro SD slots.

Where did you find a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 for $179 (assuming that is without a multi-year contract from a cell company)?

roversam

Observer
Thanks everyone i will look into some of these. I have an iphone and like it so i think i will stick to the ipad but the mini looks like about the right size to mount on the dash of my series and not take up the whole windscreen and not have to have my glasses on to see it. I just want to make sure if i go get one of these i can get a true gps for it for my iphone when you lose reception the gps stops that will not work for me. I plan to go places that my phone does not work. One of the reasions i got into this kind of travel.

roversam

Observer
I have another questions what about maping software for the dual? is there anything out there universal for the ipad that anyone knows of?

chadlanc

Adventurer
for gps maps, we use a mixture of google earth and topo maps (http://topomapsapp.com)

- Google earth you just need to make sure you cache the area your visiting before losing cell reception
- Topo Maps you need to download the gps quadrant before losing cell reception. Much better to do over wifi before you leave.

earthmuffin

Observer
I think the ipad mini would be perfect.
I'm currently running motionX on an ipad2 and while the bigger screen is nice, it also takes up a fair amount of real estate in the vehicle.
Definitely get an LTE model if you can swing it. The internal GPS sensor is great and it's nice to not have to rely on other external components.
I suspect that I will replace my mine with a mini at some point.

JRhetts

Adventurer
... is there anything out there universal for the ipad that anyone knows of?
I don't know where you are located, nor exactly what "universal" means, but for USA coverage "ScenicMaps" for the iPad is terrific and very reasonably priced. The free version without all bells and whistles is "YouNeedAMap".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles