2006 LR3 build

LtFuzz

Explorer
My 2004 has a bad 4.6, unfortunately -- 3 days before I was planning to use it to move to WA -- and needs a new shortblock. It's sort of a long story and one I have strong feelings about, but I don't want to get into all that business here. Funny that my 1995 6.2L keeps humming along despite my shredding nearly every major component in the engine bay. It gave me 22 mpg @ 65 mph over the 110 miles I covered today -- with a roof rack that's 14" tall.

So anyway, after learning that a $10k-$12k truck is now worth about $2k, I did what any good Land Rover idiot would do, shrugged off the thousands of dollars lost, and turned around and picked up a 68k mile 2006 LR3. I didn't get a particularly good deal -- I paid blue book for it -- but I was in a rush and had to buy the truck on the spot in order to get my butt up to WA this weekend. I'm not crazy about the color, but it's growing on me and the truck is clean. It also has a well articulated service history from new. I guess I've been driving sloppy old Discoveries for so long now that to me 68k miles is basically new. :sombrero:

There have been a number of great discussions on the LR3 here that I've enjoyed, but I know there are still quite a few of us out there that have considered making the jump to an LR3 now that they're in the sub-$20k range and so I thought I'd offer my take on the general (even boring) things not necessarily related to the 4x4 component:

Having spent about 3 hours in the truck my initial impressions are VERY positive. The power is night and freakin' day from a 4.6... the two aren't even in the same universe. Same with the handling and rigidity of the body. Nothing squeaks, creaks, or rolls about. It's completely air-tight -- and this LR3 isn't exactly a spring chicken. At 90 mph on the interstate the cabin is absolutely silent, even eerily so.

My favorite thing about Rovers has always been the seating position. I'm tall and lanky and nearly always uncomfortable when sitting for more than 30 minutes. I absolutely love the LR3 cabin -- when you raise the seat to its max height, I feel as if I'm driving an exaggerated version of the D1. You float above the interior of the truck with the window sill at your hip, and instead of looking up and over the dash (Jeep anyone?) you look down and out as if you were standing at the helm of a yacht. It's a driving position that's utterly unique. I love it.

Anyway, will post more tomorrow and over the coming days/weeks/months as I learn more about this truck and bolt more crap to it.

I have the D1 to bash around in the mud/rocks, so this build will be pretty basic. Getting that spare tire out from the under truck will be a priority.

Here's a crappy picture for ya:

270072_10101206133046603_849640823_n.jpg

Attachments

• 270072_10101206133046603_849640823_n.jpg
    270072_10101206133046603_849640823_n.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

PhyrraM

Adventurer
Congrats!

Interesting on the mileage and year. 2 months ago I bought a 2006 w/68K. I'm assuming yours has the V8? I feel exactly the same as you about the vault-like feeling and the driving position. I however came from a '90s Montero, and this is my first Rover.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Mack73

Adventurer
Where you moving to in WA?

There are plenty of LR3's in the Seattle area that go out and put the LR3 through its paces.

LtFuzz

Explorer
No. Tires. Always tires. LR3's NEED good tires, desperately!

Already have tires. BFG ATs I got for cheap. Gonna wait to put them on, though, because I need to make a 2,000 mile drive to WA first and the Army will pay me to haul 'em.

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Congrats!! PM me the story on the D-II as I thought it had warranty on the 'new' motor? Anyway, you will love the LR3- wish I had kept mine, but it was so foreign for it to be so comfortable, quiet, and capable :) I drove the 130 Tdi to Co, and the LR3 back- talk about shocking differences.

LtFuzz

Explorer
The 2004's 4.6 lost its camshaft bearing with 23,000 miles on the clock. The motor (new from LR Nashville) was out of warranty, unfortunately. I got absolutely killed on the trade. Oh well.

While I liked the 2004 at first, and it certainly looks great, I was overall pretty ambivalent about the truck. It was cramped, the handling was mushy, and the interior was literally falling apart around me. It was a very expensive mistake and I'll never drive another.

I did something very non-"ExPo" today -- I hit 115 mph indicated in the LR3 on my way back from about 180 miles of rocks and dirt near Oracle, AZ.

rWJjXl.jpg

TwYCal.jpg

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Yea, I know what you mean. When I drove the Tdi 130 out to Co, slow going at best, worse on hills, but great mileage, and a bit painful at my size :) Picked up the LR3, straight to Black Bear and others, then pointed her east and 2k miles later, home and still fresh!! Great rigs- hope you enjoy her.
I have a storage box mounted to a custom dual slide made for the LR3. The other slide fits an Engle Combi if interested. I also made a rear tire carrier, but it went with the truck. Still have a new set of gloss black 18" super cool alloys too... they are dual spoke 5 spokes if that makes any sense, from the UK as none came Stateside.
Give me a shout sometime to catch up a bit
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online